squid on which linux destro???

Status
Not open for further replies.

taken

Journeyman
hi,
i have read the article on proxy+ on Nov' 07 Digit magazine and it stated that squid is the ultimate bet on proxy if one has expertise and machine for linux. well, am a bit confused on linux destro...which one is the best.... as far my knowledge i know.....
... linspire... mandrake.... ubuntu... red hat and may be more also.

so which one should i go for??? as per my choice... i am recomended to use ubuntu..? so which one do one suggest???

also... i have one old machine with 2 GB HDD, 128 MB RAM and pIII processor. can i use it for loading linux??? i would like to make use of this machine which is really making its presence felt at corner.. soooo sad... let me put some life into it.

so... anyone out there to suggest me what to do now.........

regs
ken

praka123

left this forum longback
on a serious note: use redhat enterprise or fedora 8.Fedora/RH leads in server side with their graphical utilities :) also Debian Linux is even better than Fedora,but lacks GUI tools :)

OP
T

taken

Journeyman
yes it is just 2 GB.. not 20 GB. hence i was hoping for linux that would fit into it. well.. i know that this requirement is really out of date but there seems to be some possibility... if at all its there then?????

as such linux are not that system hungry, hence my imagination for this workaround. i just want to share internet and linux... like ubuntu might just fit the specs. RH/Fedore are really meant for servers having RAID and other stuffs... which i would prefer not to go for. if squid comes into lower versions linux that fits in as desktop OS, then it would be better..

hence any idea or my hope will just die off... if nothing comes off then will have no alternative then to drop the idea and go for a new PC later on for this purpose.

thanks in Adv

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom