SQL Server Integration Services (SSIS) Help

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
So SQL Server Integration Services (SSIS) is a component of the Microsoft SQL Server database software that can be used to perform a broad range of data migration tasks. SSIS is a platform for data integration and workflow applications.

In English it means, it is a platform which can be used to built applications which can transform the data from source to target in what is known as ETL framework. Extract, Transform, Load.

This is something I am learning as part of some project at my workplace in an attempt to migrate from Pervasive, which is use to do same thing (but is a tool from Actian). SSIS is from Microsoft so is more user friendly and can be easily integrated with existing Microsoft technologies.

I am trying to find out user guides over the Internet. My requirement is to find a guide which explains how to perform transformations from a Flat Text file and INTO a Flat Text file.

So far I have found many tutorials that transforms data from Flat file BUT to SQL Database (which as I am learning is a fairly common use).

MSDN: *msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms169917.aspx
Youtube: *www.youtube.com/watch?v=3cPq9FXk-RA&list=PLNIs-AWhQzcmPg_uV2BZi_KRG4LKs6cRs

Anyone having any exposure or working experience in SSIS?

OP
Vyom

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Well, I did find tutorial videos on Pluralsight and got access to it through Dreamspark student account. But currently I am stuck with the problem of converting Flat Source File to XML without using SQL in the middle. Since I could find no member with the knowledge of SSIS here, I asked the question on different forums. Linking them here for record:

Convert SQL data or Flat File or Csv File to XML ?
text - Conversion of Flat Source File to XML in SQL Server Integration Services (SSIS) - Stack Overflow

Top Bottom