• CONTEST ALERT - Experience the power of DDR5 memory with Kingston Click for details

SQL Server Integration Services (SSIS) Help

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
So SQL Server Integration Services (SSIS) is a component of the Microsoft SQL Server database software that can be used to perform a broad range of data migration tasks. SSIS is a platform for data integration and workflow applications.

In English it means, it is a platform which can be used to built applications which can transform the data from source to target in what is known as ETL framework. Extract, Transform, Load.

This is something I am learning as part of some project at my workplace in an attempt to migrate from Pervasive, which is use to do same thing (but is a tool from Actian). SSIS is from Microsoft so is more user friendly and can be easily integrated with existing Microsoft technologies.

I am trying to find out user guides over the Internet. My requirement is to find a guide which explains how to perform transformations from a Flat Text file and INTO a Flat Text file.

So far I have found many tutorials that transforms data from Flat file BUT to SQL Database (which as I am learning is a fairly common use).

MSDN: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms169917.aspx
Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3cPq9FXk-RA&list=PLNIs-AWhQzcmPg_uV2BZi_KRG4LKs6cRs

Anyone having any exposure or working experience in SSIS?

OP
Vyom

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Well, I did find tutorial videos on Pluralsight and got access to it through Dreamspark student account. But currently I am stuck with the problem of converting Flat Source File to XML without using SQL in the middle. Since I could find no member with the knowledge of SSIS here, I asked the question on different forums. Linking them here for record:

Convert SQL data or Flat File or Csv File to XML ?
text - Conversion of Flat Source File to XML in SQL Server Integration Services (SSIS) - Stack Overflow

Top Bottom