Splinter Cell problem,please help?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Suhas

Broken In
I installed Splinter cell 1,which i got free when I bought my zenith PC.But the game doesn't run.When I click on 'Play splinter cell' I get 'critical error' window
saying : general protection fault.

I have a hunch that it isn't running bcoz my onbrd grafix does not support the game.I have VIA/S3G . Also maybe the RAM is less(i have 256 MB with onbrd 64mb)

Can any1 tell what is the problem and how I can correct it?

wizrulz

GUNNING DOWN TEAMS
For splinter cell

- Minimum Configuration:
800 MHz Pentium III or AMD Athlon
256 MBytes RAM
DirectX 8.1b
32 MBytes video card
DirectX 8.1b compatible sound card
8x speed CD/DVD-ROM drive
1 GB Hard Drive Space

- Recommended Configuration:
1000 MHz Pentium III or AMD Athlon or better
256 MBytes RAM or better
DirectX 9
64 MBytes video card
DirectX 9 compatible sound card with surround system
8x speed CD/DVD-ROM drive
1,5 GB Hard Drive Space

- Splinter Cell supports the following graphic cards
- Nvidia GeForce2 Ti/Ultra/Pro/GTS/MX400/MX
- Nvidia GeForce3 familly
- Nvidia GeForce4 familly
- ATI Radeon 8500/9000/9500/9700
- Matrox Parhelia*

Ur config seems decent...better get teh cd replaced form the ZENITH comps ..as it is provided with the PC it means it works on tha tgiven PC else it would had not been bbundeled with so called as FREE gift

OP
S

Suhas

Broken In
I had thought of that,but...
Unluckily the CD has worked in every other PC that meets the minimum(except mine).I have lent it so many of my friends and all of them say there is no prblem with the CD.

ctrl_alt_del

A Year Closer To Heaven
I tried playing Splinter Cell long back when it came out, on my Zeneith PC. It was almost of the same configuration. And I too ended up with the General Protection Fault. However, once I had updated my Onboard GFX Controller drivers, I was able to play the game without a hitch. So try that and see if the game works.

OP
S

Suhas

Broken In
Thank you but the problem persists! I updated my motherboard's(MSI) on board VGA driver from the MSI website,But still the Genearl protection fault error exists!

Any other suggestions?(other than buying a new graphics card)

wizrulz

GUNNING DOWN TEAMS
Do u have any of clone cd s/w? some time the copy righted s/w in splinter cell cd gives problem....
splinter cell copy protection has code which recognises clone and alcohol and will not play with these enabled using the original game disc.up to now clone has not fixed the problem i do not know whether alcohol has fixed it.

In many cases, the GPS (general protection fault) is a way of saying the game needed some of the memory from the comp and wasn't allowed, so it stopped and returned to desktop.

Stepping down the graphics, resolution and other settings a bit, helps. Also, a bit of prep on the comp before playing.

Try a defrag and a bit of house keeping, clear away any temporary files and have no other progs working when starting game.

Download latest DirectX from microsoft site, (if needed) and finally maybe a small tweak on the cards speed settings in bios (not too much though).

Though its related to memory in most cases, corrupt files can occur during the installation, when files are "being" copied, reporting a CRC error.

Meaning a file is either corrupt or there was a problem while the disk was created. If this is the case, it gives a 'GPF' error when playing.

Try these steps and report back ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom