sound card for Sony SRS-D9

Shekhar5

Broken In
Hello friends

PC Configuration :-

Mobo- Asus P8B75 M LX

Processor - core i3 3220

Speaker - Sony SRS-D9

main purpose - gaming, music and movies. lolz I mean for everything.

A simple question, is it worth to buy a sound card for this speaker setup. If yes then which one, Asus Xonar DG 5.1 Surround PCI Sound Card OR Asus Xonar DGX PCI Express 5.1-Channel Gaming Sound Card? Budget not exceeding INR 2000.

please share your opinions.

Knight2A4

In the zone
Most Motherboard have onboard audio solutions from either Realtek or VIA . they don't advertise signal to noise ratios simply because most of these products don't do too well in this regard. This is because they share the same space on the motherboard PCB and as a result are subject to noise from the other components that are located around them. But they are good enough for a casual listening experience. More than the chip other factors count towards good sound like the DAC's and other output stage components that support the audio chip. Onboard solutions usually have cheaper components coupled either with the VIA or Realtek chip to keep costs down. For the average listener its good enough but if you have got an ear for music then the short comings of the on board solution will start to become prominent. But most people that I know are happy with their on board solution and don't really want a sound card even after trying a high end audio card. So it boils down to personal preference in the end.Your motherboard already has VIA VT1708S 8-Channel High Definition Audio CODEC It should be enough to drive your speakers to full potential. only buy a sound card if you think you need the extra beat

OP
S

Shekhar5

Broken In
Thanks for the response. As a matter of fact I don't know the potential of my onboard sound card and capability of my speakers, so I thought my speakers are high quality and this onboard sound card is not doing justice with it, so maybe a good sound card is the thing I need. I have never used a discrete sound card so don't know how much difference would it produce. Its hard to decide. I think its going to cost me some money to know the difference.:)

Knight2A4

In the zone
If you are so willing to buy a sound card to test the output first decide the budget & the purpose to buy one ... also look what slot do you have free a PCI or PCi-e. I did had PCI-E slot in my motherboard but it was covered up by my GPU n hence i had to settle for a PCI card.

Top Bottom