SOS :- linux Bluetooth dun does not work

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay lemme make it clear that I am new to linux. I have been trying to move from XP to linux since last one and a half year but have not been successful till date. Reason - Internet.

Earlier I didnt have one (one year ago) and tried to install and work on distros that came along with magazines and experienced hell lot of problems - support requiers internet , update requires internet and everything.

approxmately one year ago I got myself a GPRS connection on my mobile which I connected to my PC using bluetooth (bluesoleil) on windows.

I wanted to use linux tried a lot but have not been able to connect using Bluetooth dun on linux.
Now I have a spare hard disk for my laptop and have tried 6-8 distros just for the sole purpose of this DUN.

pc linux os could not detect my bluetooth hardware. tried to install bluez packages but got stuck with dependencies. it requiered dbus which inturn required expat got dbus running but bluez could not recognize that dbus is installed.

opensuse 11.1, ubuntu 8.10 and open solaris did detect my hardware but
pairing was not possible - neither using the gui interface nor from the terminal. installed bluesoleil's .deb package on ubuntu , that event could not work properly.

I could make debian 5.0 could detect and pair from the command line but i failed to connect to the dun.

and I could not even bring out the terminal in PC BSD 7.1

trying to mount the bluetooth hardware when running linux in virtual box simply bring out the blue dump : - highly irritating as i have to wait for another 10 minutes for my system to become normal again.

Since the last 30 hours I have been installing distros, trying out commands on different distros and repeatedly switching hard disks (wasting 10 -15 mins while linux shuts down and windows boots or vice -versa) of my laptop to boot into windows in order to see search for some or the other method to make bluetooth dun work. But I have failed and need some one's help now. SOS

here are a few pages that I referred to:

*lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-users/2006-November/098548.html

*ubuntu-in.info/wiki/index.php/GPRS_Howto

*www.bluez.org/

*ubuntuliving.blogspot.com/2007/02/pairing-cellphone-with-ubuntu-via.html

and many more.

HELP me...... and please dont say that its not in my fate to use linux.

Last edited:

6x6

Journeyman
on ubuntu, it is easy to configure bluetooth connection. it may help:

*lin-tips.blogspot.com/2008/07/internet-in-linux-via-mobile-bluetooth.html

OP
A

anuvrat_parashar

paralinux
@ 6x6
I will follow every step you mentioned there...... but please tell me that I dont have to install bluez etc on ubuntu and that all that is required for this purpose is preinstalled.

Okay I am now going to switch hard disks.
thanks.. hope that the next time I log on thinkdigit .... its throught ubuntu....:)

OP
A

anuvrat_parashar

paralinux
@6x6
I tried what you said installed ubuntu 8.10 using my live CD and tried out the commands there... at

*lin-tips.blogspot.com/2008/07/internet-in-linux-via-mobile-bluetooth.html

hcitool scan worked fine and revealed my phone's mac addredd but when it came to
sdptool browse (my phone's address) it said Failed : File descriptor in bad state.

while I remember that this command had worked properly when I was trying it out with debian.

Reply soon

OP
A

anuvrat_parashar

paralinux
more precisely the error I got was

Failed to connect to SDP server on 00:1F:01:DC:15:BC: File descriptor in bad state

so sir jee what next....
is it me only who is facing such wierd problems or every body faces them???

actually it was without the smiley thing and said ": D" (without space)

Last edited:

6x6

Journeyman
@anuvrat_parashar: i never got the error messages using sdptool, so have no idea. you may try ignoring this error with assuming channel = 1 , as for most of the phones it is 1.
I have used the same method on ubuntu 8.04 & 9.04 (never used on 8.10).

@NucleusKore : no linux modem driver is required.

OP
A

anuvrat_parashar

paralinux
@6x6:|
yeah I will try to do it withing 24 hours.... I got an exam tomorrow... so......

anyways is it possible that something is wrong with my phone or my bluetooth dongle???
It is working fine with windows... i.e bluesoleil.

and one more thing I could not install bluesoleil's linux package on ubuntu.... rather installed it but it did not run properly...

you said you ran this with ubuntu 8.04 should I even try doing the same ??? might there be any problem with the 8.10 version disk????:|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom