Sony Playstation 5 Discussion Thread

Cyberghost

Federal Agent Area 51
Staff member
*cdn.mos.cms.futurecdn.net/MVEPDkmNHwy4UKoFT8n9XP.jpg​
The PlayStation 5 (PS5) is an upcoming home video game console developed by Sony Interactive Entertainment. Announced as the successor to the PlayStation 4 in 2019, its launch is scheduled for late 2020. The system will launch in two varieties, as a base PlayStation 5 system that will include an optical disc reader, which can play 4K Blu-Ray discs, as well as a Digital Edition without the drive.

Hardware
The PlayStation 5 uses AMD's 7nm Zen 2 microarchitecture with 8 CPU cores running at a variable frequency capped at 3.5 GHz.[10] The GPU is a customized system-on-a-chip (SoC) based on AMD's RDNA 2, featuring 36 compute units running at a variable frequency, capped at 2.23 GHz, and capable of 10.28 TFLOPS.[10] Both the CPU and GPU are monitored by a special boost system incorporating AMD's SmartShift technology that adjusts the frequency of these systems based on the current activities of both chips, to target ideal constant power drawn and a model SoC performance profile. For example, if the CPU is running at lower activity, the boost system may reduce its frequency and increase the frequency of the GPU to allow that GPU to run at higher performance without otherwise affecting power use or cooling. The GPU supports hardware acceleration of real-time ray traced rendering.[5] It has a new audio technology called Tempest Engine, which allows not only for hundreds of sound sources within a game to be accounted for in producing audio output compared to 50 for the PlayStation 4, but also how that audio is presented based on the end user's device and preferences. The system has 16 GB of GDDR6 SDRAM with a bandwidth of 448 GB/s.

A custom SSD storage solution was designed for the PlayStation 5 to increase data input/output rates for fast loading times and larger bandwidth. This speed allows games to be more immersive and to support 8K resolution. The base system has a 825 GB SSD connected via a 12-channel interface to the main system, achieving a 5.5 GB/s transfer rate uncompressed, and between 8 to 9 GB/s using compression with the Oodle Kraken protocol from RAD Game Tools. This atypical drive size was found to be optimal for the 12-channel pathway for the system rather than more typical 500 GB or 1 TB units. Direct storage for games is expandable through an NVM Express (NVMe) M.2 port, while additional storage can be made available through USB-compatible drives. The system includes a 4K-compatible Ultra HD Blu-ray optical drive. Though game installation from a disc is mandatory as to take advantage of the SSD, the user has some fine-grain control of how much to install, such as only installing the multiplayer components of a game

Playstation 5 Event

PS5 Hardware Reveal Trailer

Accessories
*cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/545861898940317696/720762228483162162/Screen_Shot_2020_06_11_at_5.png

*cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/545861898940317696/720762238859739237/Screen_Shot_2020_06_11_at_5.png
*cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/545861898940317696/720762249781706822/bandicam_2020_06_11_17_12_31_749.png
*cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/545861898940317696/720762261227962368/Screen_Shot_2020_06_11_at_5.png​

chimera201

Wise Old Owl
Doesn't look durable. Not sure about the cooling. I actually like the XSX design even though I'm not going to buy it.

chimera201

Wise Old Owl
The Xbox looks more powerful, but in the end i'm still leaning towards the PS because I have been using a PS all my life. I actually like the design despite many people not liking it. Any idea on the difference in price between the PS5 with and without the disk drive?

There is no official pricing yet. Rumors are it could be 50-100$ difference.

bubusam13

Human
if there is a 100$ difference, I am going for a non disk drive model. I can surely use an USB disk drive, can't I ?

esumitkumar

Call me Sumit
I am still dreaming of PS4 and u guys talking abt PS5 :grin:
(never ever had PS..will buy some day as due to work load ..cant dedicate much time..just play FPS on mobile for 1 hr)

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
I am still dreaming of PS4 and u guys talking abt PS5 :grin:
(never ever had PS..will buy some day as due to work load ..cant dedicate much time..just play FPS on mobile for 1 hr)
I play PS2 games on PCSX2 (along with PC games) and haven't had the time to setup RPCS3 yet. :lol:
Never had a console in my childhood except for knock-off nes/snes which worked with 8 bit game cassettes.

khalil1210

In the zone
ps5 will release on Nov 19 in India. US Price is same as xbox series x $500 ( Indian price will be same I guess ₹50000)

*www.playstation.com/en-in/ps5/

bubusam13

Human
The PS5 teardown. It looks so bulky and big in size. I am disappointed. Now XBOX S seems to be a good option.

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends
*techraptor.net/gaming/news/ps5-trademark-not-owned-sony-india
The PS5 teardown. It looks so bulky and big in size. I am disappointed. Now XBOX S seems to be a good option.
True. Especially digital version being much cheaper it's better to get Series S

Sent from my vivo 1807 using Tapatalk

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.
Anybody bought PS5 in TDF ?
I heard there is a Stock crunch by SONY and its not available in any retailers in US/UK.
Limited stocks are sold out like hot cakes and scamsters are selling it at high price on eBAY.

khalil1210

In the zone
Amazon had it in stock 1 day back at night 12AM for 5 mins.

*in.ign.com/playstation-5-playstation-5/158381/news/ps5-india-amazon-restock-buy-now

khalil1210

In the zone
Yes there are people in other forums who have booked because of using telegram bots. As there is high demand and people are willing to pay 65k (15K) I feel like scalpers are buying and reselling it.

Sony doesn't seem to care. They are more interested in selling their PS4 models at full price, so they are not bringing new consoles here.

Top Bottom