some question on processors

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saharika

In the zone
well
staight to ?
Is the pentium i ,ii all about ungradation of processors?
What is ideal combination of RAM and Processors
means 300 ghz pro canbot run with 28 mb ram i think

What diff processor are available?
standards?

Can a pentium ii processor ungarded to p3 by adding and do it work fine with old hardwares?
What procrssors has to take with hard drive and OS
ok in surface?
ok if somebody know answer it ok
thanks
saha

it_waaznt_me

Coming back to life ..
Well.. thats a long list of questions ..

Hmm.. No you cant put a PIII on a P II unless your motherboard supports it .. ( I guess it doesnt) .. You should read this article too ..

There isnt any particular ideal combination of RAM and CPU .. The more of them the merrier .. When deciding which processor to buy consider the FSB, the word size and Cache of the processor ..

What RAM you buy depends on what motherboard you are using .. if your board supports DDR 300 go for it .. its like that ..

theraven

Technomancer
ARGH GOT LOGGED OFF AGAIN
i have to do something abt this
i lost my whole long @$$ post :(

sigh

bat is right p3 wasnt supported by p2 mobos ... most of them
o2 was a "SLOT" processor .... while p3 was a "SOCKET" processor as we all see today
YET ... during the transition time of p2 to p3 there were mobos ( or mobo ) which supported but "slot" and "Socket" processors
i think it had DUAL PROCESSOR support as well

no prizes for guessin which company .... 'ASUS' :D

Saharika said:
What diff processor are available?
standards?
aahhh lovely question
i love my hardware history
before i start .. remember ... u wont get any processor below the p4 or the amd k7's ... only second hand maybe
others all are phased out
older processors like 8086 etc can still be available for extrem historic , basic value as well as study of architecture etc in colleges ..

now lemme take u for a walk down memory lane
buckle up
it all start with the first processor ... the 8085 ( not the first computer ... the first MICRO PROCESSOR )
but its functionality was limited ... so we had daugher chips like 8089 8055 etc ... to accompany it ... ( we wont get into details of these chips )

after this came the 8086 , and the 8087 ( MICRO CONTROLLER with inbuilt memory, timer etc. )

following the trend and namin convention of the 8086 ... we had the 286, 386, 486 processors

when it came to 586 , intel had the market ... and dubbed them the PENTIUM processor
AMD was born .. and they had their k5 processors
this was based on the same socket as the pentium1 ( yeah !! )
in order of competition intel released the pentium mmx and pentium pro with added instruction sets .. specially for multimedia applications ..

next step by intel was the pentium 2 procssor
they went radical with it and removed a "SLOT" processor which sat out on the mobo ... and sat INTO a slot ... much like the pci, agp slot ( insertion wise )
in response AMD came up with their k6 processors ...
this time they went different ..
they used their own architecture from scrap and a new slot design
thats where the competition really started ....

in order to increases functionality, productivitiy and most importantly performance ... they both reverted back to the "socket" processors
ofcourse with different designs now ..
and hence was born the p3 and the amd k7 ( yeah the k7's started from there and till today ... including the thoroughbreds. athlons and durons and athlon XP's)

in response to this ... is where the p4 came in ...
and amd continues their k7 processors

during its reign the p4's and k7's took on many different names and avatars ...
p4's include northwood , prescotts etc
k7's includes as i already mentioned the older thoroughbred , athlons durons athlon XP's and now semprons ..

with the release of the 915/925 chupset mobos and the lga775 processors intel is still in the p4 avatar .... but this CAN be dubbed as the p5 ( as asus lga775 mobos are dubbed p5XXXX etc )
and with the amd 64's amd entered their K8 processors
amd64 uses an architecture that they like to call the x86-64
the k8's are in fx51 and fx53 avatars as of today

that completes our history lesson
i might be off a bit here and there ... but i can guarantee most of the information is 100% TRUE , CORRECT, SPOT ON .. and for lack of a better word .. PERFECT ;)

i do hope this clears out everythign u need to know abt processors
ofcouse throughout the histor the slots and sockets changed takin different names
differences in avatars of processors was the nanotechnology , number of transistors , cache memory , megahertz ratings ...

Saharika said:
means 300 ghz pro canbot run with 28 mb ram i think
i didnt quite get what u asked here
as far as i know between processors and memory theres no 300GHZ ...

i hope the rest is clear tho
cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom