Some more Ubuntu Questions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

FilledVoid

HI all,
yesterday I had to reinstall my system from scratch after using called Startup Manager. Im guessing that I wasnt supposed to use it for AMD64 installs . Anyway where do all the packages you install go? I wrote an APTonCd and it doesnt have all the files I installed to get a package to run. Example I installed Amarok ages ago but now when I try to install it I have to download 10 MB again. Where did these deb packages go? Or where should I back them up from?

How do you change the names of the disk drives from hdb1 to WindowsC or something like that (The shortcut icon name mainly)

Does anyone have a working WIndows and Ubuntu install with a SATA and IDE drive on their system?

CadCrazy

in search of myself
All packages installed are backed up in /var/cache/apt/archives.But due to some odd reason the are not available for install untill you install one/two(not exaxtly sure) packages from net.
And regarding apt on cd it is crap as of now. All it does is only copy all the packages to /var/cache/apt/archives and nothing else. The installation method for all your backed up packages is listed in first post of Offline Ubuntu Package center see how to install section

OP
F

FilledVoid

The installation method for all your backed up packages is listed in first post of Offline Ubuntu Package center see how to install section

I agree that the dpkg -i part works but the problem here is it only installs everything and wont install extra dependencies if you dont have it, right? For some reason I tyhink that certain packages are being removed and I cant find out why. IM downloading everything again to test.

CadCrazy

in search of myself
Yes you have to be carefull while backing up your packages otherwise you'll get broken packages

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom