Solar Panel

billubakra

Conversation Architect
Hi,

Is anyone using solar panel at home? What to look for while buying one? Are they worth it? Any good brand? How much subsidy do we get for it?

Thanks

icebags

Technomancer
what is your plan with a solar panel, charge the inverter batteries to use at night ? or want to use the solar energy realtime/daytime at home + earn some small discount from power company by feeding the excess energy to grid ?

either way you will need ~300W+ panels for it to be any useful.

OP
B

billubakra

Conversation Architect
*economictimes.indiatimes.com/small...em-in-india/articleshow/69338706.cms?from=mdr
Thanks. Any more info on this?

what is your plan with a solar panel, charge the inverter batteries to use at night ? or want to use the solar energy realtime/daytime at home + earn some small discount from power company by feeding the excess energy to grid ?

either way you will need ~300W+ panels for it to be any useful.
Use it in real time if enough power is there or switch to simple electricity is there's not. Selling excess power to grid will require bigger panels and will come under more scrutiny so that's a big no as of now.
What are some good brands in India? I was only able to find this ReNew Power, India's leading Solar Energy and Wind Energy company

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks. Any more info on this?
The article mentions to contact local electricity board which also seems reasonable as it should require their approval for subsidy benefit &/or wiring with mains line for seamless switchover etc. As with all other things this too will have to wait for the end of shutdown.

icebags

Technomancer
in case if you are still interested :

you can also query at ministry of renewable energy. but whatever link/ site you go for, verify it's utility and ingenuity before using. dont apply anywhere anything, just because someone tells you to.

now, knowing that well, you may go ahead and click on this link. *solarrooftop.gov.in/

OP
B

billubakra

Conversation Architect
in case if you are still interested :

you can also query at ministry of renewable energy. but whatever link/ site you go for, verify it's utility and ingenuity before using. dont apply anywhere anything, just because someone tells you to.

now, knowing that well, you may go ahead and click on this link. *solarrooftop.gov.in/
Thanks Bro. Is something like this available in India?

The above one is really not DIY. Look at the size of the houses, the roads and everything. Population & per sq km area really does make a difference.

icebags

Technomancer
you mean on-grid system ? yes, of course, all those examples i gave are ongrid systems. on-grid is much cheaper, save you from those thousands of rupees expense. only that you just need to rely on grid when there is dark outside.

OP
B

billubakra

Conversation Architect
you mean on-grid system ? yes, of course, all those examples i gave are ongrid systems. on-grid is much cheaper, save you from those thousands of rupees expense. only that you just need to rely on grid when there is dark outside.
Thanks. Final questions, are off-grid systems installed anywhere in India?
@icebags

Last edited:

icebags

Technomancer
Thanks. Final questions, are off-grid systems installed anywhere in India?
@icebags
ofcourse, why not. ask them to install an inverter in your home with storage batteries. then ask the solar vendor to give you one solar charger fot those batteries and switch off the main switch of you home for good.

OP
B

billubakra

Conversation Architect
ofcourse, why not. ask them to install an inverter in your home with storage batteries. then ask the solar vendor to give you one solar charger fot those batteries and switch off the main switch of you home for good.
Of the little what I came to know from the local market, off grid systems are not pushed that much. The government, as per the local shopkeepers, don't give any subsidy for the same.
Almost all manufacturers online are selling the on grid systems only.

icebags

Technomancer
Of the little what I came to know from the local market, off grid systems are not pushed that much. The government, as per the local shopkeepers, don't give any subsidy for the same.
Almost all manufacturers online are selling the on grid systems only.
yes. online systems are cheaper, easy to install and maintain. in offline systems need big investments for batteries, which have financial and environmental impacts.

let the sun run the electrics in daytime, and we will burn coals at night.

when you install the system, pls keep us posted through the times, we like to see solar panels get installed.

OP
B

billubakra

Conversation Architect
yes. online systems are cheaper, easy to install and maintain. in offline systems need big investments for batteries, which have financial and environmental impacts.

let the sun run the electrics in daytime, and we will burn coals at night.

when you install the system, pls keep us posted through the times, we like to see solar panels get installed.
Sorry for this out of context thing, batteries in EV's especially in Tesla cars last for 8-10 years. Then, of the little what I remember, they will be recycled a few times. After 1st recycle they can be used in solar panels. After some years and after second recycle they could be used in ups etc. i.e. for smaller needs. And then ultimately elements from them will be extracted when they cannot be recycled anymore. Yes environmental impact will be there but it won't be that much. Whosoever has or is investing in battery recycling now will be a king within 10-15 years.

icebags

Technomancer
you probably wont get those here, i am not sure. the usual commercially available lead acid will last 3-5 years. lithium may last 5-8 years. but their capacity will deteriorate every year and every time you will have to shell out 15-50k, depending on the capacity you need.

OP
B

billubakra

Conversation Architect
you probably wont get those here, i am not sure. the usual commercially available lead acid will last 3-5 years. lithium may last 5-8 years. but their capacity will deteriorate every year and every time you will have to shell out 15-50k, depending on the capacity you need.
Tesla's level deteriorates too i.e. their range but they make it up for it with OTA lol Moreover 50 miles decrease after 5 years seems okay.

Top Bottom