Solar operated AC

a_medico

Chillum Baba
Any idea about Solar Operated ACs? All I know is they are available in India. I wish to install it for home use, if cost effective.

Any inputs about contacts in India (maharashtra preferably), costing, maintenance etc are appreciated.

CyberKID

In search for Tech Gyan!
:shock: Is there really something like that?
Oh! Now I recall, I saw a prototype being developed/tested by one govt. agency. Don't remember the name though.
It probably won't be cost effective at all.
Much better would be to get some solar panels work for you, generating some power, while you use the grid mains to operate the conventional AC.
BTW, there's one BlazePower, which might help you out with some solar power generation system, that, will possibly bring down your overall electricity bills.

OP
a_medico

a_medico

Chillum Baba
*ecogreensolar.co.in/solarhybridac.html

*www.indiamart.com/solar-electronics/solar-energy-products.html#solar-air-conditioner

There are many more links....point is they dont reply to your mails. I havent called them yet. Most of them seem to be based in Gujarat.

Last edited:

CyberKID

In search for Tech Gyan!
If it's going to use Solar Photovoltaic Technology, it's gonna be very very expensive. The second link mentions the use of atleast 4nos of 200 watt solar panels, which, if purchased alone will set you back by atleast 65-75K. the installation and other costs including their DC Air Conditioner, will be extra, so, IMO, such a system will set you back by atleast 1.5-2 L for the entire setup.
If you're ready to invest that much, then, I'll suggest get yourself a Solar Power generation system, a high capacity inverter and a conventional AC.
Apart from the Photovoltaic approach, they have been working on a new tech of heat exchange, which won't be using so much power.
They don't reply to mails because they are not into retail sales. Same is the case with Tata Power Solar (Earlier Tata BP Solar). These are mostly manufacturers, and large scale distributors.

OP
a_medico

a_medico

Chillum Baba
I got a reply from infokool systems from Thane.

1) What would be the cost of a Solar AC for a single room?
Aircon 70,000/- total system 1,50,000 for 1 TR

2) Warranty and Post sale service? 12 month. Post warranty on AMC basic

3) How much is the cost saving and how long do the batteries last?
Battery life is 4 years at normal usage with regular maintenance. Cost saving 40-50%

4) What are the costs of batteries?
You can well check in local market

5) How long does the AC lasts after single recharge?
Depend on battery size 300 AH-48VDC it can last for 10 hours

CyberKID

In search for Tech Gyan!
Ah! As per my expectations. 1.5L. may be more.
But, I seriously doubt that a 300Ah 48VDC setup could actually last 10 hours, using that AC.
BTW, I didn't expect that DC AC to be worth 70K. I expected the highest cost for the panels, then the batteries and then the AC.

CyberKID

In search for Tech Gyan!
Can't be sure, unless one knows the actual wattage of that AC.
TR stands for Tonne of Refrigeration. A simple google search revealed that.

OP
a_medico

a_medico

Chillum Baba
They have something called 'online' solar water pumps, which operate only when sun is around. No batteries are involved, thereby saving costs.

CyberKID

In search for Tech Gyan!
They have something called 'online' solar water pumps, which operate only when sun is around. No batteries are involved, thereby saving costs.
But, this has a disadvantage. You'll need to invest a lot to have enough solar panels to generate enough electricity to operate the water pumps. Moreover, its working will be limited to bright sunny days.

OP
a_medico

a_medico

Chillum Baba
The area I live is quite sunny throughout the year.

My assumption is, if the same technology can be used in AC, batteries will be out of the picture. More the sun, more will be the cooling. Maintenance will be low nor almost nil. Only hitch will be the initial cost.

CyberKID

In search for Tech Gyan!
There are a variety of other factors as well.
The Solar Panels have a life. As per the MNRE (Ministry of New and Renewable Energy), the Solar Panels must give atleast 90% of the rated output over a period of 10 years, while the output should not be any less than 80% of the rated output at the end of 25 years, to comply with the minimum specifications to be able to be MNRE Approved, and also, to be able to come under subsidy schemes of the government.

There is also a term called temperature coefficient of the Solar Panels. This value determines the reduction in power generation capacity above a nominal temperature of 25 degree celsius. It isn't possible that where there's sunlight, there won't be any heat. Usually these temperature coefficients vary depending on the quality of the solar cells used in the panel, and thus can vary from ~-0.38% per degree C to ~-0.5% per degree C. That means that for every increment of 1 degrees in temperature above 25 degree, a 100 watt panel, at a temp. coefficient of -0.5%, will lose .5 watts of its power generation capacity. That number increases to 10 watts at a normal temperature of 45 degrees.

To clear it, the reduction in power generation capacity is temporary and depends on the environmental conditions. I'm posting all this info because, I would like you to be aware of all these constraints before you go for the kill. It's an expensive one. So be wise with your decision.

As per your assumption goes, it's nothing technology. You can connect the panels directly with that DC AC and you should be good to go. The only thing is its availability. Moreover, there might be a certain threshold limit, which is required for that AC to function properly. If not met, it might not work properly, or even worse, may fail altogether.

OP
a_medico

a_medico

Chillum Baba
Thanks for that info.

Got a reply from one:

solar quotation.JPG

Recently on Jan 22, 2010, Tessera Solar and Stirling Energy System from USA installed 60 dishes to provide 1.5 MW of renewable energy to SRP customers in Greater Phoenix, Arizona. Each innovative and highly-efficient 25 KW Solar power system called SES SunCatcher uses a 38-Feet mirror parabolic dish combined with an automatic tracking system to collect and focus the sun’s energy onto a stirling engine to convert the Solar Thermal Energy into Grid-Quality Electricity.
Stirling Engine is the future of the world and shall replace existing Solar-Panels which are 13% efficient.

Interesting!

Top Bottom