Smps voltage switch set to 115 volt

Status
Not open for further replies.

chris

In the zone
Today after pc cleaning, switched, had an explosion somewhere in pc. Tech said kid changed input voltage to 115 volt.

What normally happens if pc is powered on with input voltage set to 115 volt on 230 volt. Input ?

At this stage, I am not sure problem is only with PSU or motherboard too as I don't have a replacement PSU.

Since PSU is 600 watts, tech will test with normal PSU tomorrow, if all good will buy a 600 watts PSU.

Do you guys think this can affect motherboard ?

gta5

Ambassador of Buzz
your primary capacitor in PSU ( big ones ) blew up and likely a few other primary components of PSU along with Fuse ..

AFAIK
if the PSU had good working protections (mainly Over and under voltage protection , Short circuit protection ) then your motherboard should be alright.. even without good protections with only a fuse there is still a good chance your mobo might be alright if the PSU didn't send any spikes on output before fuse/other primary components blew up..

when you set it to 115 then most non PFC PSU will double the voltage so as to get 230v ( in USA) , when it operates in 220v , voltage is not doubled
max tolerance is somewhere around 300-325v , . when you input 220v and set it to 115v switch voltage doubles to 400-440 and if fuse doesn't blow up fast then Boom.. .. Caps and other primary components blow up.. in case of APFC PSU , there is no switch and can operate anywhere from 90-240v safely , depending upon how it is designed some are limited to 200-240v

Last edited:
OP
C

chris

In the zone
Thanks for the reply. Hope it is only PSU as PC is old,. i don't want to replace mother board...

The PSU is CoolerMaster 650W SMPS.

Can anyone suggest a good replacement, i have my PC config in signature.

gta5

Ambassador of Buzz
go for Antec VP550P @ Rs4000 offline atleast - specifically this model.. and not VP450P or Vp500PC or VP600P

or if you have more budget then mention it.. Corsair Tx 550m @ 6500

Last edited:
OP
C

chris

In the zone
Thanks, i will try to get Antec VP550P or Corsair Tx 550m

These PSU will be fine ? My Old one was CoolerMaster 650W, that is 100 watts more. Any other PSU suggestions ? It will be good if i have few more choices as i have to buy offline and can't wait long as i need PC back asap.

gta5

Ambassador of Buzz
are you overclocking ? .. .. VP550P with overclocking + 100-150 watt GPU may be close to max limit as it has only 444W on 12v rail..

these are power consumption numbers at wall

Intel Core i7-950 Review | bit-tech.net
Power Consumption - Intel Core i7-975 Extreme And i7-950 Reviewed

These are the most bang for buck PSU in respective price points , also regarding Corsair TX Please read this ..

Need Help - WD Hard Drive Caution Error...!!!

or go with Tx 650M at 7100 offline if you like

POWER SUPPLY CORSAIR TX-M SERIES™ TX650M -650 WATT 80 PLUS® GOLD CERTIFIED PSU

other alternatives are limited , as seasonic S12ii /M12 is about to be discontinued PSU with no OCP and no UVP on 12v , limited availability offline /after sale service average, for RMA they may require PSU to be shipped to kolkata if they don't accept it at their nearby branch office ..
new Focus series hasn't launched in india yet
Cooler master Gx storm does not have a detailed review.. then there is Antec True Power classic but available for 8k or so .. and if you are spending this why not go for Corsair Rm 650x at 9.5k or so ..

Your best option is Corsair TX with good after sale service .. just get confirmation on those 2 issues especially since your components are 7 years old ,

Last edited:
OP
C

chris

In the zone
Exact model for the PSU that died is CoolerMaster RS-650-PCAR-E3, i read this is infact less powerful than what CoolerMaster advertise, not sure about it,

Extreme Power Plus 650W | Cooler Master

are you overclocking ? .. .. VP550P with overclocking + 100-150 watt GPU may be close to max limit as it has only 444W on 12v rail..

I don't over clock. GPU is GTX 750 TI, TDP is 60 watts, so max it can take is 60 watts ?

I prefer not spending like 8K for PSU as this PC is getting old, i may not able to use it for long if old age related problems start coming up.

Cosiar TX 650M, looks good choice, as it same same wattage as my current PSU. I will read the forum post you linked.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
TDP is not equal to power consumption,at best you can use it to guess power consumption in normal conditions.Use Power Supply Calculator - PSU Calculator | OuterVision to calculate approx power consumption of your system.

gta5

Ambassador of Buzz
Exact model for the PSU that died is CoolerMaster RS-650-PCAR-E3, i read this is infact less powerful than what CoolerMaster advertise, not sure about it,

Extreme Power Plus 650W | Cooler Master

I don't over clock. GPU is GTX 750 TI, TDP is 60 watts, so max it can take is 60 watts ?

I prefer not spending like 8K for PSU as this PC is getting old, i may not able to use it for long if old age related problems start coming up.

Cosiar TX 650M, looks good choice, as it same same wattage as my current PSU. I will read the forum post you linked.

while you may upgrade later or your current setup may not be able to last very long , you can still use this PSU in your next build ..

so PSU is considered after accounting for future probable requirements and not just current build.. good PSU is an investment for next build as well

yes Gtx 750ti wouldn't consume more than 70-75 Watts max .. i wasn't referring to GTx 750ti

your i7 950 when overclocked should be able to handle Gtx 1060/Rx 570 without a "big" bottleneck .. so if you only decide to upgrade GPU to one of those and not whole system then that 444 watt limit may be a problem especially Amd...

now you have mentioned you are not going to overclock , then you should be fine.. it's just i7 950 when overclocked to 4.2ghz + consumes a lotttt of power from that bit tech article

yeah just get confirmation on those 2 issues and even TX 550M should be enough or you may go for tx 650m if you like .. but don't buy before asking about 3.3v transient response as your components are 8 years old so i am not sure how much 3.3v rail is used by your system and what impact (if any) it can have.. apart from this issue , otherwise this is a very good PSU

btw in which year did you purchase that cooler master PSU ?

Last edited:
OP
C

chris

In the zone
Thanks for the reply. CoolerMaster RS-650-PCAR-E3 was purchased in 2011 Feb.

Tech support guy come with a diff SMPS. He said it was 450 watts as he don't have any good PSU to test. He connected SMPS, able to get display. When booting, i was not able to get into GUI on Ubuntu, it take me to command promt, after few seconds, computer got shutdown by itself. Tech said it is due to SMPS can't handle the power requirment. He will be getting a new PSU tomorrow. Whatever, i just need PC up asap :)

As for gaming, i was playing Mad Max, don't play that much, only play games that i can run on Ubuntu. Never done any overclocking, don't plan to.

I understand i can use the SMPS on new build. Love to get a new shiny PC. But problem is i don't want to waste the components. Selling it online, then buyer say it was dead etc.. will be more problem. Not sure if i can sell locally. So the plan for now is keep using it as long as possible.

As for performance, i think CPU is fine even though it consume too much power than latest CPUs. I did compared my CPU with latest entry level Intel Core i3-7100 @ 3.90GHz, that cost INR 9,400/-

PassMark - CPU Performance Comparison

It is almost same performance. Now ryzon is there, if i can keep using this PC for some more time, i may able to get newer cpu.

When i run some VM, pc become dead slow, that mostly due to 6 GB of RAM. Maybe a RAM upgrade can get my PC going for some more time, not sure if its worth buying DDR3 RAM at this time.

OP
C

chris

In the zone
Purchased ANTEC VP600P.

I don't go for VP550P as i am not sure if that work for my PC as old PSU was 650 watts. Since this have to be purchased from place 50KM away from home, i don't want to take risk. Local shops only have smaller SMPS.

PC working fine now.

gta5

Ambassador of Buzz
ohh you could have asked , VP650P would have been wayyy better than this then with only a small price difference , but it's easy to get confused.. without overclocking, vp550p would have been more than enough as well.. anyway it's done now , change it after 3-3.5 years and it would be better if you don't overclock or add a power hungry gpu on this..

Last edited:
OP
C

chris

In the zone
This Antec VP600P SMPS cost me Rs. 4,504.00

Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

I checked it in Amazon, it cost Rs. 7,499.00

*www.amazon.in/dp/B000050ZOW/

I was thinking Amazon will be cheaper. Look like i am wrong.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
That's because antec official indian distributor is theitdepot which sells them through their own website.
Antec VP Series 600W Power Supply (VP600P)

OP
C

chris

In the zone
Thanks whitestar. Look like the offline shop have better price than official Indian distributor. TheItdepot = Rs.4745/- Optima solutions, Kochi Rs. 4,504.00/-

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
That may be so because of lower prices offered to resellers making bulk orders but directly buying from official distributor has some advantages like no warranty issues,latest stock,better support in case of RMA etc.If the price difference is not much then it is worth it to spend extra 400-500 to get it directly from official distributor.The shipping charges for psu are usually on higher side because of weight & it is coming out to be Rs.460/- for theitdepot antec vp600p but those in Chennai & Bangalore can get it with no shipping charges & also with COD option.

NealXu

Right off the assembly line
Hi...i am a new user here. As per my knowledge when you set it to 115 then most non PFC PSU will double the voltage so as to get 230v ( in USA) , when it operates in 220v , voltage is not doubled max tolerance is somewhere around 300-325v , . when you input 220v and set it to 115v switch voltage doubles to 400-440 and if fuse doesn't blow up fast, Caps and other primary components blow up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom