SMPS/PSU doubt & compatibility with my config

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
S

sagarphadkule

Broken In
Er what exactly of it will not happen?
Or in short, what i meant to ask was if i select the graphics card as the renderer in some software, then does my monitor have to be connected to the graphics card port compulsorily instead of the port onboard?

comp@ddict

EXIT: DATA Junkyard
U hav a gfx card connected to mobo and monitor through DVI, aftr that the game wil nvr ask whether u wanna use mobo gfx or discrete gfx.

Just in bios set primary video adapter to auto, tada

realdan

Ambassador of Buzz
Then if i select the discreet graphics card option, do i have to plug in my monitor to the card's VGA port? and also vice-versa?

unless you developed one that can have that kind of possibilities...continue on your discovery journey and it is through it that great things are born

OP
S

sagarphadkule

Broken In
For motherboards that dont have a VGA port (like MSI P45, P43 neo-f, palit p35a and intel dp35dp), does it mean that they dont have onboard graphics and so we have to compulsorily use discreet graphics card for them?

OP
S

sagarphadkule

Broken In
Ok so all that boils down to one motherboard - MSI P43 Neo-F as it has serial port, parallel port and pci-e 2.0
Getting it will be a bit problem coz its not readily available here.

Anyway, now another question remains:
I havent seen a single 8600GT graphics card which has a D-Sub VGA port. They all have DVI. And all 17" LCDs (viewsonic, lg, dell, samsung) have D-sub connectors only.
Please could u suggest some solution for this? I have budget for gfx card till around Rs 3800 and monitor around Rs 8200.

imgame2

Padawan
Ok so all that boils down to one motherboard - MSI P43 Neo-F as it has serial port, parallel port and pci-e 2.0
Getting it will be a bit problem coz its not readily available here.

Why MSI P43 neo why not MSI P45 neo F ??
it also has everything u said is much better performer and than P43 version ..and its has better availability than P43.

Anyway, now another question remains:
I havent seen a single 8600GT graphics card which has a D-Sub VGA port. They all have DVI. And all 17" LCDs (viewsonic, lg, dell, samsung) have D-sub connectors only.
Please could u suggest some solution for this? I have budget for gfx card till around Rs 3800 and monitor around Rs 8200.
[/QUOTE]

all such card comes with a DVI to VGA adapter so its not a big worry ..

get 8600 GT 256 MB DDR3 ,,make sure u get a DDR3 version..

get viewsonic 1912W 19" LCD for 8.3k

OP
S

sagarphadkule

Broken In
Ya i guess p45 has better availability but p43 is cheaper. If p43 isnt available, i'm gonna go with p45 only.
And i compared, p43 has all the same features as p45. But what do u mean by 'p45 is better than p43 in performance'?

Will 256mb ddr3 card be better than 512mb ddr2? Will i be able to play big games like crysis on moderate settings smoothly on it?

OP
S

sagarphadkule

Broken In
Finally, I decide this config:

E8400 CPU...............................................................8500
MSI P43 Neo-F..........................................................~5450
250GB SATA Seagate.................................................2325
2GB DDR2 800MHz RAM Transcend................................1550
Palit 9500GT 256mb DDR3...........................................~4250
Cabinet-Any (I'll choose at the shop)............................~1300
17" LCD Viewsonic va1716wb.......................................8000
Keyboard,Mouse........................................................500
LG DVD Writer...........................................................1150
Altec Lansing BXR 1121...............................................1250
Supercomp TV tuner card............................................1200

Total........................................................................35,500 (omg!)

My budget was Rs34000 max. But, well, lets see if i get any discount.

So my question remained unanswered - Will the normal smps that comes with the cabinet support this config? Acc. to *web.aanet.com.au/SnooP/psucalc.php this config needs just 113W and that site recommended a 210W SMPS of a decent brand. For a generic SMPS, it did not give the wattage maybe coz of some javascript error (It said NaN in the textbox).

Buying some good brand smps is suddenly like Rs. 3000 more as compared to Rs.0 for the normal smps as it comes with the cabinet only. How much difference will it make? I've never seen any of my friends getting a separate smps.

OP
S

sagarphadkule

Broken In
^ sry that was my other account. dint know it was active; i'm on other comp

Anyway, bump. Please answer my question about smps rating. I may be buying the comp in the next week

realdan

Ambassador of Buzz
i think it was mentioned in this very post about the diff..
the thing is do you think you will want to buy a proper smps even if people quantify the difference?
just use your "zero cost smps" as you have mentioned...no need to ask people "how much difference when you wont accept it...thats what i found reading the post..tand u turning a blind eye to some post about the smps..and now again ask..

so stick with the zero cost smps since ur friend are running them with no problem and we who spend 6200 bucks to buy the smps are fools

OP
S

sagarphadkule

Broken In
I believe you misunderstood what i had to say and/or you did not read this-

sagarphadkule said:
Acc. to *web.aanet.com.au/SnooP/psucalc.php this config needs just 113W and that site recommended a 210W SMPS of a decent brand.

I'm just confused with the ratings. That site suggests just 210W of a decent brand and acc. to Ambar, i should use a 450W corsair smps which is obviously not matching.
(And ofcourse what u said in ur 1st post wasnt of much help - saying 'you pay for what you get..people are not stupid to pay more if it is the same...' doesnt clear anything.)

And if you've not misunderstood me:
I never said I will not buy a good smps even if ppl quantify the difference. I never said ppl who buy smps worth 6200 are fools (you are probably an exception). If ur going to say 'just use your "zero cost smps"....blah blah' then dont reply coz ur not helping at all.

tanmoy_Siliguri

In The Gaming Heaven
yahhh........they say right think.........I have a just 350Watt IBM PSU..but It can give full efficency...most of the 450 watt PSU writen as 450 watt..but actually give 250watt..so In this case I recommend Corsair 460watt..it gives full o/p...or u can buy Coolermaster PSU............

realdan

Ambassador of Buzz
i think u r the one who did not understand what has been said.
:)

post no 10
amber said:
bro the default PSU will barely survive the config..... so its better tht u go for a Corsair VX450 costin around 3k-3.2k ..... this PSU will later on also help u in upgrading to a HD4850 .... these PSU's are expensive because they have very high efficiency rating like around 80%+ .... whereas the normal PSU's have a efficiency of barely 50-60% and i mean if u have a gud one

sagarphadkule said:
And if you've not misunderstood me:
I never said I will not buy a good smps even if ppl quantify the difference. I never said ppl who buy smps worth 6200 are fools (you are probably an exception). If ur going to say 'just use your "zero cost smps"....blah blah' then dont reply coz ur not helping at all.

misunderstood? me? oh yeah i misunderstood ur zero cost smps!
did i say you said it?
it can be construed from your post, you want a pant tailor made to the micro millimeters which not only stick to ur legs but also squeeze it.

most good power supply gives >=80% efficiency at least as amber has posted..
so 450W = 360W at least..it could be more given the operation environment
and it is better to have some breathing space in respect of the wattage. one can go for a tight fitting pants made with good quality textile which completely engulf your legs and all..it will give discomfort as it will not have the minimum breathing space..but the pants will not break away despite that...but with the passage of time it will..harm ur bodies...and the pants will break ultimately
consider the same pants with lower quality textile..it will harm the body and break itself within a few time periods.

with the passage of time and depending upon usage.the smps components also aged like we do..and so efficiency will decline faster if it is stressed so much more than those which is not stressed as hard.
when it is zero cost one..then it aged even faster when stressed..

i hope it becomes clearer :)

OP
S

sagarphadkule

Broken In
Well, ok i dont like to argue more. Thanks for the reply anyway.
I read on some forums (maybe techtree) about checking the 12v1 rail for more than enough amperage if one were to buy a budget smps. I think i'll buy one that way (probably powersafe or vip) as 3k is stretching too much beyond my budget.
Thanks for all the replies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom