Smoothing out games

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tommygecko

Broken In
This is for those of you who experience jerky frames in games at low fps (30-40) such as vice city or gta3 with the frame limiter on.All you have to do is override the refresh rate for 3d applications from your graphics card drivers to 85 hz or better.The games will become damn and i mean damn smooth even at 28-30 fps.Try it.It is worth it.

Tommygecko said:
This is for those of you who experience jerky frames in games at low fps (30-40) such as vice city or gta3 with the frame limiter on.All you have to do is override the refresh rate for 3d applications from your graphics card drivers to 85 hz or better.The games will become damn and i mean damn smooth even at 28-30 fps.Try it.It is worth it.

I bet most CRT's already run at 85Hz or better. Anything below 75 gives me a headache. I wonder how you've lived with low refresh rates this long.

The screen refresh rate is not exclusive to 3D. It applies to your desktop (2D) too. And, it has nothing whatsoever to do with smoothness in games. Higher refresh rates will eliminate visible screen flicker, nothing more, nothing less.

-Keith

deathvirus_me

Wise Old Owl
how can anyone overrride the refresh rate to 85Hz if he is playing at 1280x1024 and his monitor supports only 60Hz at that res. ????? ..... turning off frame limiter in SA makes the game pretty smooth even at high resoulution .....

u'll notice a better image quality with vsync on .... u'll generally encounter texture tearing at lower refresh rates of 60Hz with vsync off....

OP
T

Tommygecko

Broken In
Keith Sebastian said:
I bet most CRT's already run at 85Hz or better. Anything below 75 gives me a headache. I wonder how you've lived with low refresh rates this long.

The screen refresh rate is not exclusive to 3D. It applies to your desktop (2D) too. And, it has nothing whatsoever to do with smoothness in games. Higher refresh rates will eliminate visible screen flicker, nothing more, nothing less.

-Keith

Yes it does smooth out the jerks.I have experienced it in BIARTH30.

ashu888ashu888

Core i7 (nehalem) Owner
So that means can i keep my monitor refresh rate at 1024x768 at 85 Hz ?? for all of my work as well as my games to ?? i mean permanently ???? wat u say guys !!!!!! :? :? :?

OP
T

Tommygecko

Broken In
ankit_biz said:
wont higher refresh rates than default damage the monitor??? :shock:

Each monitor has a maximum supported refresh rate for some specific resolution.Find at which resolutions your monitor supports 85 hz and then play the games at those resolutions only.Keep in mind that if you force a refresh rate and accidently play a game at a higher than supported resolution,it might damage the monitor.Hence,before forcing any refresh rates,please change your in game settings first.This also applies to any new game you might have bought,as new games automatically select some specific resolution.

Now you wont feel any jerkiness,in any of the gta series with the frame limiter on,and you can also reap the benefits of the frame limiter on the pc,as the frame limiter removes all of the problems that plague the pc versions of these titles.Also,other games will also become noticeably smoother at low fps.Have fun.

OP
T

Tommygecko

Broken In
ashu888ashu888 said:
So that means can i keep my monitor refresh rate at 1024x768 at 85 Hz ?? for all of my work as well as my games to ?? i mean permanently ???? wat u say guys !!!!!! :? :? :?

Yes,you got that right bro.Now even if it gets below 30 fps to say 28,you will still experience smooth gameplay.All thanks to the high refresh rates.Believe me as i have have played games at 60 hz all my life,and I am enjoying them truly only now.Also turning off vertical sync will help in all games.In the gta series turn off vertical sync from the drivers and turn on frame limiter in game.

OP
T

Tommygecko

Broken In
deathvirus_me said:
how can anyone overrride the refresh rate to 85Hz if he is playing at 1280x1024 and his monitor supports only 60Hz at that res. ????? ..... turning off frame limiter in SA makes the game pretty smooth even at high resoulution .....

u'll notice a better image quality with vsync on .... u'll generally encounter texture tearing at lower refresh rates of 60Hz with vsync off....

Instead of playing at higher resolutions and low refresh rates,it is much better to play at low resolutions and higher refresh rates.Trust me.Try it and you will know the difference.You will find that eye strain is zero at 85 hz,so you can play for a longer period of time without fatigue.

As for san andreas,it is true that it will run smoother with frame limiter off,but it will stutter very badly whenever there is a sudden change in frame rate.Also you will experience draw in,and turning frame limiter off also affects the behavior of some objects in game,as I have noticed in vice city.

Turn vsync off,refresh rate to 85+,and the frame limiter on and you will see.

However in the case of san andreas the default frame rate for the frame limiter is 25 fps.This is less than optimal.Hence,I suggest turning the frame limiter off in san andreas until something is done about this fault.But it should work fine in vice city and gta3.

ankit_biz

Broken In
i hav a samsung 17'' monitor and my refresh rate is set for 75 Hz....how will i know that 85 Hz wont damage my monitor

NikhilVerma

Padawan
Well if there is an option of 85Hz in your montor's properties and you have selected "Hide modes that this monitor can't display"...

You shouldn't have any problems.

ankit_biz said:
i hav a samsung 17'' monitor and my refresh rate is set for 75 Hz....how will i know that 85 Hz wont damage my monitor

Check your manual. Mine (Samsung SyncMaster 763DFX) says it supports 85Hz at 1024x768, and that's what I keep it at.

-k

TommyGecko - The frame limiter is there for a reason. Don't turn it off. This feature is always argued upon and is present in Flight Simulator. Just to save myself the trouble of typing I'd advise you to look into these threads. Although in case of FS, it overloads the CPU due to it's complexity, the underlying principle of locking framerates is same.

*forums.simflight.com/viewtopic.php?t=3497&highlight=framerate+unlimited

*forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=se...121&page=&topic_id=249509&prev_page=show_mesg

*forums.simflight.com/viewtopic.php?t=7988&highlight=framerate+unlimited

(Some posts are old, but still relevant)
Cheers,
Keith

deathvirus_me

Wise Old Owl
these r my tweaked refresh rates ..

1024x768 - 92 Hz
1280x768 - 89 Hz
1280x960 - 76 Hz
1280x1024 - 69 Hz

i play every game at 1280x1024 with vsync on .... i also have "enable doublescan for low refresh rate" mode enabled in all games ....

lowering the res. makes the graphics full of jaggies ... then i'll have to set aa to atleast 4x .... as far as i can think 1280x1024,2x aa is better handled by my card than 1024x768,4x aa

OP
T

Tommygecko

Broken In
Keith Sebastian said:
TommyGecko - The frame limiter is there for a reason. Don't turn it off. This feature is always argued upon and is present in Flight Simulator. Just to save myself the trouble of typing I'd advise you to look into these threads. Although in case of FS, it overloads the CPU due to it's complexity, the underlying principle of locking framerates is same.

*forums.simflight.com/viewtopic.php?t=3497&highlight=framerate+unlimited

*forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=se...121&page=&topic_id=249509&prev_page=show_mesg

*forums.simflight.com/viewtopic.php?t=7988&highlight=framerate+unlimited

(Some posts are old, but still relevant)
Cheers,
Keith

Kindly read attentively.I am suggesting others to keep the frame limiter on,not turning it off myself.I know its benefits,and to remove stuttering a refresh rate of 85 hz is required.

Thanks for the clarification. I still don't agree (ref - original post), though. Let's agree to disagree. I'm out of here.

PS: I've had no stuttering probs with GTA SA. Smooth as knife through butter.

Cheers,
Keith

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom