smartd service fails to load

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZiOn

Broken In
i have jus installed FC3 on my friends comp. however there are a few small problems
1. on the GRUB boot menu there are 3 entries.... something like

1.fedora core 3 smp( ....some nos)
2.fedora core 3-up( ... some nos)
3.windows XP

GRUB is installed to the MBR.
wat are the two entries for linux??? how can i remove one of them?? is there some error in installation??

2. when linux loads up "smartd" service fails to load. what does this service do?? how to rectify it??

3. the soundcard is not detected. does this have anything to do with the smartd service??

my friends comp config is:
P4 2.8 Ghz Intel 915G chipset
Aopen motherboard,512 MB RAM, 40 GB HDD

Please help as he wants to remove linux saying it is only trouble....that after i convinced him it was as good as windows.

pradeep_chauhan

Cyborg Agent
The CPU you use is a HT and this feature is enabled in the BIOS So linux sees the machine as having two CPU and has installed two kernels one is the normal kernel that is ment for a single CPU system and the SMP based kernel which runs on multiple CPU machines Thus the two entries in the boot screen. You should use the SMP kernel for normal use and to remove the other entry open /boot/grub/grub.conf and remove the entry for the other kernel.
Regarding smartd I think you have a sata disk and smartd is not supported on a sata disk
This has nothing to do with sound try reinstalling alsa to get the sound working.

OP
Z

ZiOn

Broken In
thanks for the help!!
Anyway i have two more qns:
1.the hdd is sata so do i need to disable smartd?? if so how??

2.how to reinstall alsa??

sorry i'm a bit of a newbie....
thanks again.

pradeep_chauhan

Cyborg Agent
for smartd you will have to wait i think the comming kernel has support for that (2.6.11.4) regarding also i suggest you go the yum way i.e. download the yum.conf file from *www.fedorafaq.org/samples/yum.conf and place it in /etc/ now just say yum install alsa
by the way i too use FC3 and all the sound drivers were there in the distro alsa is also installed by default what is the sound processor that your mobo uses?

OP
Z

ZiOn

Broken In
the info in device manager in windows gives this :
Microsoft UAA Function Driver for High Definition Audio - Realtek 880

is this supported by FC3??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom