Slimming Windows XP Pro

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

gxsaurav

I was on the run for some softwares to optimize my gfx card, I found some which helped me a lot as I was able oto slim Windows XP by these, I recomend U use this & make WIndows XP take a bit less space, & more fast, my OS has become about 15% fast already, I haven't removed everything useless already

I used,

1) Driver Cleaner 3.2

2) nLite .98.5 beta. It requires .net runtime 1.1 to be installed

It reduced 300 MB from my WIndows XP installation, I reduced drivers first, like VIA Chipset & SiS chipset, 3DFX , ATI, Intel onboard graphics, Notebook chipsets drivers, notebook graphics drivers etc, with a lot of useless services

Finally Outlook Express 6 is removed no more bugging, however I don't recomend uninstallaing IE6 as it is a system component. U can also make a Slipstreamed Windows XP CD with the removed components & SP2 integrated

OP
G

gxsaurav

drivers for via,sis onboard graohics & chipset, ATI, Matrox drivers, all the other useless drivers like LAN card, Firewire everything I found useless.

Alonhwith Outlook Express 6, IIS, & all the other server components, be sure to close Windows file protection or windows will ask U for the CD again & again

I got 350 MB space free in the end from my C:\ after a boot, I use only 1 OS XP SP2 RC2

mahidhar

Broken In
You can check out this site.

*unattended.msfn.org/

You all know how to Slipstream sp1 into XP. This site provides information on how to make unattended installation of XP and how to integrate sp1, other hotfixes, updated drivers, and all the softwares that u have to install after installing OS.

create a winnt.sif answer file which gives instructions to Windows XP Setup to fill in all your information automatically.
it shows the procedure on how you can install applications silently without user interaction. also provides command line switches for most common applications

How to tell windows setup to install the updates drivers and not the driver files present in Driver.cab (really helpful if you ever had to update a lot of drivers after installing Windows)

You can create batch files and use them along with windows setup to install other softwares like MS Office, apply your fav registry tweaks.

All you have to do is start the setup the rest is automated.

if you have a DVD writer you can burn the OS and other softwares on 1 DVD so that you dont even have to change the CDs.( fully automated)

sUlPhUr|nE`

Broken In
Don't u think that even we should start a topic called WINDOWS UNATTENDED ?????
I think even we can start makin unattended CDs.
Beat MSFN :wink:

superwiz

Broken In
sUlPhUr|nE` said:
Don't u think that even we should start a topic called WINDOWS UNATTENDED ?????
I think even we can start makin unattended CDs.
Beat MSFN :wink:

yeah and I bet people will copy all the posts from MSFN forum here under their own name,So how can we beat MSFN if we copy paste their articles? :(
see this thread

*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5607

prathapml

Broken In
yeah and I bet people will copy all the posts from MSFN forum here under their own name
You said it dude!

Well, for those of you who use nLite - have a good read of its sub-forum on MSFN : *www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showforum=89
Well, a new version of nLite keeps being released almost every week. The latest version is <0.98.7 beta2>. That's the only release compatible with XPSP2. All older versions if used on your XPCDs will give errors. Also, before asking any questions about nlite in the forums there, please see that you've read what's already there, and *SEARCHED* for what you want to ask.

OP
G

gxsaurav

Now, I m just going to use Autostreamer to Slip Stream XP with SP2, kinda safe way

Choto Cheeta

Rebooting
me too useing a slipstream windows for many months now... in many system... only one problem that i saw is i used Original OEM windows which requers an activation... but after i nlite it, some how that , i mean that activation doesnt come in to the picture any more... its works like pre activated windows...

neither i remomed any windows feature nor i made a unattended setup... more over what i did is added lots of drivers.... dont know what went wrong...

now for useing point a view... its very stable but not any power boost... :D the main perpose of nlite is to make a personalize windows copy with all the latest update & patches & including system drivers so at any point of reinstallation, u find is fast & easy also no time spending over autoupdate...

bit

Banned
It would be solid, if M$ comes with utilities such as nlite and help users in saving installation time and disk space.

Vishal Gupta

Microsoft MVP
Can u expect such thing from Microsoft?

Even Microsoft never gave a good download manager with pause/resume features in ne version of windows!

Choto Cheeta

Rebooting
bit said:
It would be solid, if M$ comes with utilities such as nlite and help users in saving installation time and disk space.

hmm have u tried WindowsXP-KB838080-SP2-DeployTools-ENU

though its not as nlite... but does some trick with unattanded setup thing.. so it saves a little time n makes a easy setup...

@Vishal

hay bro have u tried Microsoft® File Transfer Manager

i have it install... but still yet to find a way to download with it.. :roll: :roll:

rajat22

In the zone
No more controversies please.
PLEASE....PLEASE.... A COMPLETE STEP BY STEP GUIDE TO DO IT IS REQUIRED......ANY SOFTWARE.......Windows XP Service Pack 2 Deployment Tools or n-Lite. :?

Thanks in advance :lol:

aadipa

Padawan
Have a look
*unattended.msfn.org/

*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=18785 [nLite is lot more improved now, this is done with old version]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom