SLI Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rollercoaster

-The BlacKCoaT Operative-
Hi, I have one XFX 8800GT 512 MB gfx card and I want to add another in SLI

I have some doubts-
1. Do the cards have to be an exact match? If not how much variation is possible. Like
--one with 512 MB ram and the other with 1GB or
--one 8800GT and the other 8800GTX.
--if they are different companies like XFX and Palit

2. Is it a good performance increase with SLI or is it better to sell the old one (hard to do) and buy a new one.

3. Any general problems with SLI. like special driver needs or some issues with software or Windows installation etc

4. My Current CPU is relatively old and slow for today's standards. (AMD X2 4800+). Is there some relation to the benefit of SLI with CPU performance?

Hardware: Motherboard - Asus M2N-SLI (nforce 570 chipset), 2GB Ram, Corsair 550W PSU, 2 Monitors (19" and 23")

thanks a lot. please help.

Last edited:

Piyush

Lanaya
Hi, I have one XFX 8800GT 512 MB gfx card and I want to add another in SLI

I have some doubts-
1. Do the cards have to be an exact match? If not how much variation is possible. Like
--one with 512 MB ram and the other with 1GB or

2. Is it a good performance increase with SLI or is it better to sell the old one (hard to do) and buy a new one.

3. Any general problems with SLI. like special driver needs or some issues with software or Windows installation etc

4. My Current CPU is relatively old and slow for today's standards. (AMD X2 4800+). Is there some relation to the benefit of SLI with CPU performance?

Hardware: Motherboard - Asus M2N-SLI (nforce 570 chipset), 2GB Ram, Corsair 550W PSU, 2 Monitors (19" and 23")

here's a one site for all ur doubts
*in.slizone.com/page/slizone_faq.html

whats ur budget anyway?
u might get a better deal

OP
Rollercoaster

Rollercoaster

here's a one site for all ur doubts
*in.slizone.com/page/slizone_faq.html

whats ur budget anyway?
u might get a better deal

Thanks for the link.

I dont have a budget yet as I have not enquired for the price of a new XFX 8800GT 512mb card. Do you know the approx price for it?

ashu888ashu888

Core i7 (nehalem) Owner
--one with 512 MB ram and the other with 1GB
nope, they both need to be either 512mb or both to be 1gb... :)

nope, here also both needs to be the EXACT same...

yup, this is possible, its safe and tested by many ppl (incl. me)

sum games do play gr8 with SLi but sum dont,so its a gamble...it will all depend as to how well motherboard u hv (especially the pci-e slots are both x8 or both x16)

well, no special drivers needed, they (the cards) use the same drivers as single cards do.. so u will be safe...but ur mobo MUST support SLi ....

well i cannot comment on amd processors as i hv less idea.. :( but on a general note, ur config is old, so better to get a new (Single) card rather to go for SLi.... :)
---------

CHeers n e-peace...

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
RollerCoaster:
Would not advice SLI for you. The CPU is quite old. Will not be able to feed the dual set up. SLI / Xfire does give a good boost in performance, provided you are playing > = FULL HD, and your CPU is greater than ~3.4 Ghz. (Rule of thumb, no hard science).

By the way:
Saw your cabinet mods...awesome, godsome....!

OP
Rollercoaster

Rollercoaster

RollerCoaster:
Would not advice SLI for you. The CPU is quite old. Will not be able to feed the dual set up. SLI / Xfire does give a good boost in performance, provided you are playing > = FULL HD, and your CPU is greater than ~3.4 Ghz. (Rule of thumb, no hard science).
Thanks but since I dont have the budget to get a new CPU/Mobo/Ram set, is it a good idea to set up SLI on my present config , even if I dont get 100% advantage of SLI. but may be 75% ? That would satisfy me for some time.

I recently got a 23" Full HD LCD and previous had a 19" 1440x900 LCD. The new LCD looks best at 1920x1080 but at that resolution even the 8800GT is not enough.

I was sad to try Metro 2033 this week as its minimum req is 8800GT :shock: !!
So I thought it is time to look for GFX upgrade options. To Recap :), does it sound right to setup an SLI even if I dont get 100% benefit. Consider that it is hard to sell my current 8800GT and get a new high end single GFX card.

By the way:
Saw your cabinet mods...awesome, godsome....!
Thanks very much :)

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
Rollercoaster, see, I doubt you will see much performance boost with SLI. Your processor is too old. It will just not be able to feed enough data to the two boards. What speed is your CPU at...? Any OC..? A 8800GT 512MB should set you back by 9K. Lynx is showing it, PRIME would have it too. I would love to give you a better review, but the power is about to go here. Am at my home town Mussoorie currently. And they shut the power off daily from 1 - 3 PM, to cater to the Maha Khumb...!

Try not to bench on Metro. That game is hardly optimized. Plus your gpu is two generations behind the technology (Dx9). Even the current HD5870s are facing issue running this game on resolutions you like to play at.

Piyush

Lanaya
Try not to bench on Metro. That game is hardly optimized. Plus your gpu is two generations behind the technology (Dx9). Even the current HD5870s are facing issue running this game on resolutions you like to play at.

man!!
is it really true?
i mean 5870 isnt able to play metro
can u post the link of the result

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
Well here are some reviews, where you can see Metro killing the cards. Its heavy on tessellation, but I feel more that it is non-optimized, or needs mature drivers.

Overclockersclub
HardOCP exclusive Metro Review
Techspot
Hardwarecanucks

And since it has the TWIMTBP affiliation, we know what this game is optimized for..!

OP
Rollercoaster

Rollercoaster

@asigh you are near my home town dehradun :) we also face power cuts from 2pm to 5pm. I am just glad that BSNL broadband doesn't take similar cuts :p

@all
regarding mu CPU too old. I dont think so. It is not that old. i completed Crysis and crysis warhead with it at medium setting at fairly high 1440x900 resolution. It is a dual core running at 2.4Ghz. Which is definitely old but not 'too old' :)

Even the 8800GT (it is a DX10 card) is not that old. Man you guys throw away hardware too soon :p

Since I purchased the 8800GT I have been able to play all bet a few games at max settings @1440x900

I have read a bit more on other forums and blogs that it definitely be an increase, even if not 100%, when I use an SLI.

But my final question is, If I can upgrade my graphics then I can still play at high setting but at @1920x1080 on my new LCD. So Should I spend 9k not for an SLI or just think about a full computer upgrade in the future as any high end graphic card would still have my other 'old' CPU etc as bottleneck and I will have a hard time selling my 8800GT.

I am so confused

OP
Rollercoaster

Rollercoaster

One more thing to consider is that this Graphic card, CPU, Mobo came out when SLI was already prominent so SLI must add performance.. what you think?

I posted on tomshardware.com also. Check out the same if you want to participate in the discussion

Last edited:

mosestheman

Broken In
hey hey ROLLERCOASTER 8800gt is old...go sell it now as u can get good deals ....any furthur delay can lead to price drops ....get yourself gtx 260 after saving some money ....really 8800gt is old....u can spend a month or two without gpu for saving money....

as digit says buy e7400 .....do not think about SLI as many games don't support..one such game wich supports is crysis ........and it will not be wise to buy another gfx card which give just 1.5x performance boost.......also u need a PSU which has enough cables and also increased power bills........u have to deal with every thing above

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
^^
errrmmm....!

hey hey ROLLERCOASTER 8800gt is old...go sell it now as u can get good deals ....any furthur delay can lead to price drops ....
It is not that old of an card. It is an all right Dx10 card. And what is old for you, might be decent for someone else. How you so sure, that further delay will lead to price drops....drops for what.

get yourself gtx 260 after saving some money ....really 8800gt is old....u can spend a month or two without gpu for saving money....
Stick to the original question, please. He wanted a hardware suggestion. No where did the OP ask about budgets -- or it was an issue for him. He seems quite fine in that department.

as digit says buy e7400 .....
Where did this come from. Why would he buy a LGA775 CPU.

do not think about SLI as many games don't support..one such game wich supports is crysis ........
Most games today support SLI. I would safely say 95%. It is a mature technology now. All gaming development studios support it. Infact GPU companies encourage it. Why...more sales.

and it will not be wise to buy another gfx card which give just 1.5x performance boost.......
1.5x = 150% boost. Please show me a SLI card combination which can do this in SLI with reference to a singular accelerator, I will pick it up.

also u need a PSU which has enough cables and also increased power bills........u have to deal with every thing above
The OPs PSU is fine to run SLI. Though just tight -- and pushing it. He can manage. I am sure, the OP has thought this angle out.

So..what were you thinking while posting..?

OP
Rollercoaster

Rollercoaster

@asigh thanks for understanding man and yeah I can OC. this is what google reminded me of. wrote long ago ...

@mosestheman thanks for your input. I did think of the PSU and had to buy one anyway so got a 650w Corsair. the 550w I ordered earlier was out of stock and yes 550 is just enough for my setup + SLI as @asigh says

The reason why I am thinking of SLI insted of a new GFX card is because my system is already 'slow' by current standards but if I go for a new gfx card, it would still get bottle necked by the cpu etc

And selling 8800Gt is not easy.. I asked around and one guy offered me 2.5k which is way too low. so it comes down to this -

new 8800GT = approx 8K and atleast 9 months to 1.5 year gaming coolness
new GFX = 15K? and that will be like my current 8800GT after 9months-1.5year
new system = 50K yeah right :(

besides I spend a bit extra when I purchased my current system about 2 years ago. the SLI mobo cost me 12K (which I bought for SLI in the future!) and the 8800GT 14K ! it was top of the line then

so I think 8k is he simplest way to increase GFX capabilities and keep the system reasonably playable for a bit more time. that also means my current 'slow' system will have a new lease on life and I can have more time to save money for a whole new one. may be a i7 who knows :)

do you guys think I am on the right track?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom