SLI MOBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

tiblu

Broken In
Hey i m planning to buy an sli mobo for my 3200+ please sugget me price under 8000. Sholud i go for 2x 6600 GT or One single Powerful Card.

mayanksharma

Ambassador of Buzz
Hello I heard, somebody saying SLI as waste!!
May be he doesn't know what is SLI....I guess!!;D

And for SLI mobo, you should consider these brands:-
MSI Neo 4 Platinum,
and Asus only!

As far as Graphics combination is considered, please go for 2 x 6600GT on SLI, which is definitely a very powerful setup!
But on the other hand if you want to go for a single powerful card, then look out for these:-

XFX 6800GT,XFX 7300GS,XFX 7800GT
and Gainward 6800 ULTRA also!

john_the_ultimate

No pain....No gain
I also think that it is better to have one 6800gs 256mb better than 2x6600gt.

6600gt in sli is a waste is because of the cost, at it's price u could get a very good performing 6800gs or gt whose performance would be equal to 2x6600gt.

But if u could have shell out money then buy 7800gtx 512mb or even better 2x7800gtx 512mb.
Don't buy 6800 ultra, waste of money.

As for mobo for with onboard gfx, ASUS A8N-VM CSM is very good. If u seriously want SLI then u cud buy ASUS A8N SLi PREMIUM.

drvarunmehta

Wise Old Owl
Buy a single powerful card now. Later when it dosen't seem fast enough, add another in SLI. No sense buying 2 cards outright. That's the whole point of SLI. It lets you increase your graphical capabilities without wasting your old card.

mayanksharma

Ambassador of Buzz
6800 ultra is a very unique card in its category!
It is the first graphics NV 40U processor, with memory controller of 256bits died on it.
One of the most noteworthy features of the 6800 Ultra's CineFX architecture is displacement mapping which means that for the first time texture information can be mapped onto vertices by simply loading a texture into the register.i.e. On chip video processor,this a 16 pipeline GPU architecture e.t.c.
The GeForce 7800 GTX is unquestionably the fastest graphics core in existence, it was a smart move to introduce the slimmed down GeForce 7800 GT version.
But mind it, the price will always be hurdle before the user.
It is very easy to overshadow the older GPU's by simply comparing them with the fastest and latest one.

But ultimately it is upto the user, who is buying the card and running it.
And for your kind information 6800Ultra is the card, that can be perfectly modded to extreme and many threads currently supporting this.

Hence, please dont blame the older cards ever.

Switch

Broken In
A Single high end card is much better then buying two mid end cards at any given point on time and in any situation...

With that being said buying a SLI mobo is a waste of money till the time you are cash strapped ;)... Cause if you are buying two mid end cards to do SLI then any bench mark will tell you that 2 x 6600GT<6800GT and the trend follows. not to forget the extra power consumes by the PSU... And if you are buying thinking i will buy a second card one year down the line then mate you will be missing the newer features of the next generation of cards...

Btw the NEO 4 Platinum is the biggest POS ever created...

Kniwor

Learner
mayanksharma said:
Hello I heard, somebody saying SLI as waste!!
May be he doesn't know what is SLI....I guess!!;D

And for SLI mobo, you should consider these brands:-
MSI Neo 4 Platinum,
and Asus only!

As far as Graphics combination is considered, please go for 2 x 6600GT on SLI, which is definitely a very powerful setup!
But on the other hand if you want to go for a single powerful card, then look out for these:-

XFX 6800GT,XFX 7300GS,XFX 7800GT
and Gainward 6800 ULTRA also!

I knew it already that sum1 will object....

Thank you for the Enlightment..... but i think i have a little idea what SLI is.... and what c r a p it is....

so you thought SLi increases performance.... look again... well it sometimes decreases performance...

and is hardly ever able to match a powerful card......

Here's the proof....

*www.tomshardware.com/2005/12/02/vga_charts_viii/page20.html

mayanksharma

Ambassador of Buzz
"In four games, the single GeForce 7800 GTX proved itself superior to the SLI setup of the older GeForce 6800 Ultra. The two were tied for the lead with two other games. The GeForce 6800 Ultra SLI solution only took a slight lead in F.E.A.R. Meanwhile, the GeForce 7800 GTX SLI configuration was the most powerful--and the most expensive--in the group."

@kniwor
These were the last lines from the link you have given.

Now please try reading mine second last thread in same.
Dude, they are still talking about the SLI configuration.
There was a time when 6800Ultra, used to be a card, on which the gamers used to drool over, but its time has ended.And very similarly, the time of Geforce 7 series card is going to end soon, by the new era of Geforce 8 cards.
Doesn't this make you think over once again?
And by the way, SLI never ever reduce graphics performance.
@switch
My friend, you are telling that SLI is waste. Ok? presume this by the time you would have finished buying your one mighty PCI-e 16X card, I would have on the other hand would be ready with the same card but with SLI setup.
Now look its advantages:-

1.I can still plug in another card of same ratings, on my mobo and can flush you out.
2.Can churn out some very insane frame rates and at at those resolutions that you can dream of only.

Disadvantages:-
1.Costly setup. (Gamers who are buying 7800GTX cards, will they really mind this thing??)
2.More Power (Simple theory to understand why?)

Thats y, ask any pure hardcore gamer out there, and then tell me, that whether SLI is setting its standards apar or not.

Switch

Broken In
As a former owner of a 7800GT SLI setup for few days i will say SLI sucks... For simple reasones...

Not 100% compatabile with all games...
Heating issues(With 7800GTX it heats up even more)
Power Hungry(There isnt a decent power supply Available in india to run two overclocked high end cards + Overclocked CPU)
Need 100% same GPU's(Unlike Crossfire)
Not to Mention Expensive :p

Infact i had started a debate a long time back why go sli... Will try to put up a link for that... The only reasone one should go SLI mobo is when one is buying a mid end card so that he can buy another card when it is available for cheap later... If one is going for a outright purchase with no budget constraints then he should go in for as fast a card as he can and not think about SLI... SLI practically offers 150% performance and not 180% as claimed by nVIDIA or 200% as it may feel like...

As for NEO 4 Sli Platinum its a crap board and i will repeat it again as it cant overclock for peanuts... A better buy would be ASUS SLI Premium or if you really wanna buy a overclocker friendly board then look no further then a DFI Expert and if you are not into overclocking but want the cream of the class then go in for ASUS A8N 32 SLI

So in this order

A8N 32SLI(Not a great overclocker but is a class apart)
DFI Expert(Just about nothing wrong about it except for the northbridge cooling)
ASUS A8N SLI Premium Again a great board but you can have better options

And for the enthusisasts who like to live on the edge and want cheap thrills then a DFI Ultra D... Can be mooded to a SLI board and again just about perfect for insane overclocking...

Kniwor

Learner
mayanksharma said:
"In four games, the single GeForce 7800 GTX proved itself superior to the SLI setup of the older GeForce 6800 Ultra. The two were tied for the lead with two other games. The GeForce 6800 Ultra SLI solution only took a slight lead in F.E.A.R. Meanwhile, the GeForce 7800 GTX SLI configuration was the most powerful--and the most expensive--in the group."

@kniwor
These were the last lines from the link you have given.

Now please try reading mine second last thread in same.
Dude, they are still talking about the SLI configuration.
There was a time when 6800Ultra, used to be a card, on which the gamers used to drool over, but its time has ended.And very similarly, the time of Geforce 7 series card is going to end soon, by the new era of Geforce 8 cards.
Doesn't this make you think over once again?
And by the way, SLI never ever reduce graphics performance.

lol.... and that is why we see negetive performance in some benchmarks....

be real friend... SLI 6600GT will obviously be better than 1 6600GT but purchasing a single powerful card makes more sense...
SLI 7788GTX will obviously be most powerful..... just take the most powerful card around and put 2....

but he is getting a 6600GT SLI and it is very much clear that a powerful card is much better than 2.

hotdogXP

Broken In
So to who actually is the SLI thingy worthy :

I say its for the People who own kickass monitors such as 21"LCDs and want to play games at good fps at very high resolutions and highest settings and want to utilise the new Extreme HD technology....

People who are building a new system, its better not to go for SLI setup immediately, instead get an SLI based motherboard and put in a single best graphics card you can afford, considering that this card can play the current games with reasonable eye candy turned on....

later when newer games demand more power and newer cards are launched, yur current card would cost less, so config an SLI setup then and match nearly the performance of the newer card . Aient this better than throwing away yur old card and getting the newer card in 6months speaking in terms of value.

Kniwor

Learner
hotdogXP said:
So to who actually is the SLI thingy worthy :

I say its for the People who own kickass monitors such as 21"LCDs and want to play games at good fps at very high resolutions and highest settings and want to utilise the new Extreme HD technology....

People who are building a new system, its better not to go for SLI setup immediately, instead get an SLI based motherboard and put in a single best graphics card you can afford, considering that this card can play the current games with reasonable eye candy turned on....

later when newer games demand more power and newer cards are launched, yur current card would cost less, so config an SLI setup then and match nearly the performance of the newer card . Aient this better than throwing away yur old card and getting the newer card in 6months speaking in terms of value.

EGG-ZHAKTLY

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom