Single Electron Movement Captured

Status
Not open for further replies.

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
Scientists at Brown University have managed to capture the movement of a single electron on video

*www.ohgizmo.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/07/electron-custom.jpg] *www.ohgizmo.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/07/electron-custom.jpg

By Evan Ackerman
On the face of it, the picture above is totally unremarkable, until you realize that for the first time ever, you’re looking at the movement of a single electron. You know, electrons? Those invisible (until now) little particles that make electricity (and therefore, OhGizmo and all that other technology you know and love and are hopelessly addicted to) possible? In fact, you’ve probably got something like 23,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 electrons whizzing around in you right now. And those little dots in that picture up there show one of them movin’ around. More info, and a video, after the jump.
Now, try and stick with me here while I explain how this works… If you’ve got an electron moving around in a liquid, it pushes all of the atoms around it away a little bit, creating a teeny bubble of space. Most of the time, this bubble gets crushed by the surface tension of the liquid around it. Scientists at Brown University looked at electrons moving though supercooled liquid helium, which has very little surface tension, keeping the bubble alive. Then, they blasted the fluid with sound waves, which alternately increased and decreased the pressure of the fluid, allowing some of the electron bubbles to expand to about the size of a speck of dust, which were made visible by combining a strobe light with a home video camera on “super night mode.”

SOurce & Video

do u mean momentum and velocity both were noted simultaneously or just a vague idea of movement was observable .... if momentum and velocity were noted simultaneously than its a big scientific breakthrough .. heisenberg's uncertainity principle is shattered off which is basis of many modern theories of electron movement in atom .But this seems kindo impossible and vague

OP
iMav

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
only the scientists can answer ur question @hateurself

my interpretation:
its more like the path of the electron is clearly visible ....

electron moving around in a liquid, it pushes all of the atoms around it away a little bit, creating a teeny bubble of space
which would imply that they have tracked the bubble left by the electron :/ but thats what i think of it ... i myself dont know will have to look a lot deeper into it

Ankur Gupta

Wandering in time...
Well they tracked the bubble not the electron itself so the heisenbergs principle seems intact but then wasnt it valid for all microparticles??:D

Yes heisenbergs principle is valid for all microscopic particles though it is strictly invalid for macroscopic objects.I dont think this experiment will revolutionize theories of atomic structure. Remember millikan's oildrop experiment .I thought this is another breakthrough but OK yaar .Where are other science geeks !

Last edited:
OP
iMav

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
actually this just brings all the theories to life ... till now electron movements were theoretical but this actually shows the movement ... in engg till now what ever u dont understand is an assumption but with this some assumptions will find reasoning ;)

Zeeshan Quireshi

C# Be Sharp !
iMav said:
actually this just brings all the theories to life ... till now electron movements were theoretical but this actually shows the movement ... in engg till now what ever u dont understand is an assumption but with this some assumptions will find reasoning ;)
Yups , everything in chemistry till now was theoretical

OP
iMav

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
abey chemistry chodd puri engg is theoretical ... bas bol dengen ki bachon electron idhar se idhar jata hai aur current flow hota hai ...

a_k_s_h_a_y

Dreaming
i think its false how can they see an electron on a camera ???
it can only be predicted....also do consider uncertainty principle !!!

Naah absolutely wrong theories are always for improvement ! We cannot reach to any results without assumption .Everything including our communication with each other started assuming we can communicate .It is not vaguely said that current is flow of electron but current is 'net' movement of electrons .The electrons are always in random motion .But when battery starts circulating them they orient in such a manner that net movement is opp. to flow of current .Dont just call evrything faltoo like a layman buddy. we are digitians remember!

Last edited:

aneesh kalra

Mclaren F1 Long tail
see although you are able to get the position of the electron by using a strobe light but still when u use strobe light to illuminate it the energy of the light disturbs the electron's energy somewhat and thus leading to a change in its path so what are you able to observe is the new path which is affected by light and not the actual path of the elecrton.So Mr.heisenberg can rest in peace as of now his principle is valid.

OP
iMav

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
^^ well i think those people would have considered it ... the camera they used was nite mode so light :?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom