Simplest internet setup

Status
Not open for further replies.

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
Hello guys,

I need to setup a PIII pc with dataone connection. The users have only little knowledge of computers. they will only be accessing the computer for yahoo chat (yahoo messenger or trillian) and skype. I have configured a gmail account in opera's mail client(no need to goto gmail.com). these will be the only programs they will be using.Is the windows firewall good enough for it? i dont want to install a third party firewall as it will make it more complicated for them to use. They donot know the security risks of the internet. i have also installed spybot S&D. please let me know if there is any other simpler solutions.
Thanks in advance
Charan

yrana2002

Ambassador of Buzz
The windows firewall is indeed good enough for the amount of stuff that you'll be using. It wont ever distrub you. :lol:
However, it will help if you keep a Antivirus software like AVG Free or Avast. You also have completed everything by installing Spybot. Thats the common complaint of every Internet user.

PS: If you're going for dataone, seeing your usage, go for a 250 Home plan, my personal advice. :wink:

OP
RCuber

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
thanks yarana2002, actually the pc i am reffering is not mine, it of my friend's, he just went to us and he left his pc back home for his parents to use(to send email/chat/voicechat etc). i did forget to install an Antivirus scanner. looking at the PC configuretion(PIII (dono abt the speed) 384MB ram/ 20GB HDD ), i would hav to install a AV thats very light on system and can install updates automatically. is there any suggessions??? Avast AV is a little heavy on system resources i guess.and i also want to know if there is any free spyware scanner which runs in the background.
thanks

digen

Youngling
Well if its a home user who isnt well versed with the malicious internet/or doesnt care bout it then I would suggest you put a software firewall in there which offers outbound protection.

Not only that,configure only things which they need to access & which requires internet access in the "allowed" [or something similar field in the firewall settings] & tell them to block everything else which the firewall prompts for outbound internet access.

This way you reduce the risk of their machine getting infected with a malicious program calling home.

But to be honest this also may increase your overhead of troubleshooting the net connection since they disallowed a process which was needed for the net connection to work in windows.I hope you get my point.

godsownman

Padawan
Yes Digen has got a valid point.

@CharanGk

Regarding the antivirus , I use AVG 7.0 (Free) and I find it quite efficient . Yes, it does have auto updating .

Hope you both get what I am trying to convey.

Regards

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom