Simple benchmarking software?

cute.bandar

Cyborg Agent
Getting a CPU upgrade, that I don't really need atm. So want to compare in numbers how much performance gain do I get. Tried a couple of benchmarking apps, but they took too long or just hanged.
I want to benchmark CPU performance and gaming performance. Since my current CPU is probably bottlenecking my CPU bigtime . i3 3220 with a GTX 1650
Any simple ones ? Like the one windows had , that performance index score ?

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
i3 3220 is completely outdated,for 1650 you should at least get a 4 cores processor.You can look for used i5/i7 3rd gen but I suggest building a new system altogether.

OP
cute.bandar

cute.bandar

Cyborg Agent
yeah I know. But for my everyday use I felt 0 performance issues with the i3. Only later did I realize it was killing my fps in witcher 3 and gta 5 :(
I have ordered a used Xeon E3-1225 V2 , which is basically a i7 from aliexpress. Fingers crossed.

chimera201

Wise Old Owl
3D Mark Fire Strike should run on your system. It's long though. But it's the best benchmark for a gaming system.
3DMark on Steam
^ download demo

Else you can use this:
Home - UserBenchmark
Fast and simple.

Comparing Cinebench R15/R20 numbers are good as well, but better to just compare in-game fps. Take some readings from GTA V benchmark before & after new CPU.

OP
cute.bandar

cute.bandar

Cyborg Agent
In game FPS toh compare hoga hi. But wanted something more measureable.
I benched with the userbenchmark suggestion and by a gaming benchmark app called 'Catzilla' .

In game FPS toh compare hoga hi. But wanted something more measureable.
I benched with the userbenchmark suggestion and by a gaming benchmark app called 'Catzilla' .
GTA V has an inbuilt benchmarking somewhere in settings. Use that for readings, much more consistent & comparable.

The 2nd one you mentioned, never heard of it. Heaven benchmark & 3DMark are most popular for graphics benchmark. But again, I feel game benchmarks are better as you can see the direct improvement in games, which is your main usage. If you have other games which have in-built benchmark, use those as well. Far Cry 5, Tomb Raider games, Rainbow 6 are some popular games with a benchmarking tool.

OP
cute.bandar

cute.bandar

Cyborg Agent
^ hmm didn't know or consider this. Upon some googling it seems the single core performance is only 10-15% higher than the i3. multicore performance is 60% higher though. Lets see how it actually performs.
For benchmark, it turns out fraps can write the bench to a csv file and then plotted to a graph using another utility..

OP
cute.bandar

cute.bandar

Cyborg Agent
Arrived today. It Works. And the Results are in.. They are disappointing.
Catzilla GPU score has reduced marginaly . userbenchmark.com CPU single thread score has also reduced marginally. Multi threaded CPU score has increased all over by: 50-70%
Left is the old one:
*i.imgur.com/EqsBTk6.jpg

Witcher 3 fps are same @Ultra
Frames, Time (ms), Min, Max, Avg
1989, 60000, 25, 40, 33.150

Temps are higher though. Idle temps is 55C . Load temp is 76C . Do these look fine ? Idle seems very high to me , Old used to be about 44C, I think. But is it high enough to cause throttling ? Can you guys share your current idle temps ?
Overall its pretty disappointing. Will try to mess around with BIOS settings. Any suggestions ?

OP
cute.bandar

cute.bandar

Cyborg Agent
yeah used. Applied reapplied thermal paste 3 times. Same result. I think its still possible its not spreading right. But I have done this several times before.
could the cpu cooler be the issue ? Its a basic intel round one, that doesn't even cover the cpu completely.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
i3 3220 is 55w tdp processor while E3 1225V2 is a 77w tdp processor so obviously it will run hotter especially when used with stock cooler of 3220(fyi stock cooler of 1225V2 is better).

chimera201

Wise Old Owl
But the load temp seems to be alright. Idle temp is way too high. Maybe the hardware monitoring software is incorrectly reporting it? How much does it show in BIOS?

OP
cute.bandar

cute.bandar

Cyborg Agent
I am not sure if it will help with the performance. If it doesn't help, then I'll just use the old CPU, and maybe get a cooler later . No real point in spending extra right now..

Edit: I think I'll play with the fan speeds a lil first

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
yeah I know. But for my everyday use I felt 0 performance issues with the i3. Only later did I realize it was killing my fps in witcher 3 and gta 5 :(
I have ordered a used Xeon E3-1225 V2 , which is basically a i7 from aliexpress. Fingers crossed.

i7 heavens no. At best say it's a i5 3570.

Arrived today. It Works. And the Results are in.. They are disappointing.
Catzilla GPU score has reduced marginaly . userbenchmark.com CPU single thread score has also reduced marginally. Multi threaded CPU score has increased all over by: 50-70%
Left is the old one:
*i.imgur.com/EqsBTk6.jpg

Witcher 3 fps are same @Ultra

Temps are higher though. Idle temps is 55C . Load temp is 76C . Do these look fine ? Idle seems very high to me , Old used to be about 44C, I think. But is it high enough to cause throttling ? Can you guys share your current idle temps ?
Overall its pretty disappointing. Will try to mess around with BIOS settings. Any suggestions ?

Just get a Cooler Master Hyper H410R - compared to my previous Xigmatech LoKi 2 HDT this one keeps the cpu cooler by 15 - 16 C under load.

BTW, your load temp is just fine ... will post load temp of a i5 3550 cooled by Deepcool Gamma Archer under gaming load ( CSGO ) .

Top Bottom