SIM PIN on my modem

BhargavJ

In the zone
I have an Onnet modem, to which I've connected a Tata Photon USB Dongle for Internet use.

In the configuration page, there is an option that reads: SIM PIN; there's another that reads Phone Number. So is this a way so that only my phone can connect to this modem and no one else can use the modem? I'm attaching a photo.

Secondly, is it possible that I set my modem in such a way that it will only allow my laptop to use the modem and no one else, even if they come to know the password?

Thanks.

View attachment 14365

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
PIN is there for SIM protection. And phone no is for which no to be dialled to connect to work.

For last question, see if there is Mac blocking option, if yes then your problem solved.

OP
B

BhargavJ

In the zone
PIN is there for SIM protection. And phone no is for which no to be dialled to connect to work.

For last question, see if there is Mac blocking option, if yes then your problem solved.

Sorry, I couldn't understand the first part; could you explain in some detail?

My D-Link modem has a setting called "MAC Filter". This morning, when I saw it, there was an option called enable, and I clicked it, I thought it would later ask for saving the settings, but it didn't, instead something happened, and the laptop just wouldn't connect to the modem. Finally I had to reset the modem by clicking it with a pin, and enter the BSNL details and set the WPA password again.

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
Sorry, I couldn't understand the first part; could you explain in some detail?

My D-Link modem has a setting called "MAC Filter". This morning, when I saw it, there was an option called enable, and I clicked it, I thought it would later ask for saving the settings, but it didn't, instead something happened, and the laptop just wouldn't connect to the modem. Finally I had to reset the modem by clicking it with a pin, and enter the BSNL details and set the WPA password again.

1) If you enable SIM protection, whenever you plug your modem (akin to restarting a phone), it will ask for the PIN, then only you'll be able to use the SIM.

2) Once you enable MAC filter, you also have to add MAC address of the systems you want to connect, then only you can connect them. To get MAC address, use "ipconfig /all" in cmd, and look out for physical address of the wireless adapter something like this - ab:1d:2c:00:22:lk.

OP
B

BhargavJ

In the zone
Thanks for the reply. I understood the part about the SIM protection; but in your first post you've said that: "And phone no is for which no to be dialled to connect to work." What does adding the phone no. to the modem do?

As for the MAC thing, I think I'll first learn properly about how to to do it. The first time I was tinkering with it, as I've mentioned, I ended up messing up the modem. The problem I faced is that after factory-reseting the modem, when I connected it to the laptop via cable to enter the BSNL details and all, the D-Link software which you use to fill in these details kept giving me an error, that it couldn't detect the modem, and asking if I had properly connected the cables. I tried it numerous times, changing the port on the modem where you connect the cable, disabling the firewall, and other things, but nothing worked. Also, I think there was some problem with the OS as well, because the software was really really slow on Win 7; I had tried working with the software compatibility on Win 7 so that it would run it as XP, but nothing happened. Then I remembered that the first time I had done it, it was on my desktop running XP SP3. So I connected the modem to the desktop, and then everything ran smoothly. Maybe the software is not made for Win 7?

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
Thanks for the reply. I understood the part about the SIM protection; but in your first post you've said that: "And phone no is for which no to be dialled to connect to work." What does adding the phone no. to the modem do?

Think of a dial up connection which needs to dial up a no to connect to the network so that you can use the internet. If you don't have a no, where will you dial, therefore no network connection.

As for the MAC thing, I think I'll first learn properly about how to to do it. The first time I was tinkering with it, as I've mentioned, I ended up messing up the modem. The problem I faced is that after factory-reseting the modem, when I connected it to the laptop via cable to enter the BSNL details and all, the D-Link software which you use to fill in these details kept giving me an error, that it couldn't detect the modem, and asking if I had properly connected the cables. I tried it numerous times, changing the port on the modem where you connect the cable, disabling the firewall, and other things, but nothing worked. Also, I think there was some problem with the OS as well, because the software was really really slow on Win 7; I had tried working with the software compatibility on Win 7 so that it would run it as XP, but nothing happened. Then I remembered that the first time I had done it, it was on my desktop running XP SP3. So I connected the modem to the desktop, and then everything ran smoothly. Maybe the software is not made for Win 7?

Can't really say what made software act like that, but you didn't mess with anything rather just enabled MAC filter which shouldn't have caused such, most probably.

Top Bottom