Sign language interpreter at Nelson Mandela's memorial was a fake

amjath

Human Spambot
Sign language interpreter at Nelson Mandela's memorial was a fake

The sign language interpreter used at Nelson Mandela's memorial service yesterday in Johannesburg was a fraud who was "literally flapping his arms around," according to the national director of the Deaf Federation of South Africa and at least two other experts.

The man stood on stage with nearly 100 heads of state, including President Barack Obama, who all gave speeches to honor Mandela, and was actually interpreting nothing, making unintelligible signs. Bruno Druchen, the director of the South Africa's Deaf Federation, told the Associated Press that the man was "moving his hands around but there was no meaning in what he used his hands for." Druchen's wife, Wilma Newhoudt-Druchen, a South African parliament member who is also deaf, confirmed that the man was signing nonsense.

"IT WAS HORRIBLE, AN ABSOLUTE CIRCUS."

It's still unclear how the unidentified man was able to get on the memorial's stage and begin his translation charade. Druchen notes that the same man has been caught doing this before. According to the AP, sign language frauds are common in South Africa. People who know a few signs try to pass themselves off as professionals to make some quick cash, and those who are hiring interpreters usually don't know sign themselves, so they are unable to detect a fake from a professional.

"It was horrible, an absolute circus, really, really bad," official sign language interpreter Nicole Du Toit said. "Only he can understand those gestures.

"

Sign language interpreter at Nelson Mandela's memorial was a fake | The Verge
WTF, seriously i dont know whom to blame

Renny

Padawan
President Obama poses for a funeral selfie and gets chummy with Danish Prime Minister Helle Thorning-Schmidt but Michelle does not look impressed - NY Daily News

*assets.nydailynews.com/polopoly_fs/1.1543187.1386693436!/img/httpImage/image.jpg_gen/derivatives/landscape_635/525340425.jpg

*assets.nydailynews.com/polopoly_fs/1.1543379.1386700910!/img/httpImage/image.jpg_gen/derivatives/landscape_635/south-africa-mandela-memorial.jpg

*assets.nydailynews.com/polopoly_fs/1.1543381.1386701001!/img/httpImage/image.jpg_gen/derivatives/landscape_635/aptopix-south-africa-mandela-memorial.jpg

*assets.nydailynews.com/polopoly_fs/1.1543380.1386700940!/img/httpImage/image.jpg_gen/derivatives/landscape_635/south-africa-mandela-memorial.jpg

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Remember that old saying about how the camera never lies? That in itself is a lie, according to the photographer who snapped President Obama and two prime ministers taking a selfie — and now says it's been taken out of context.

"I didn’t see anything shocking in my viewfinder, president of the U.S. or not," said Roberto Schmidt, the photographer for Agence France-Presse who was watching the president in Soccer City stadium near the Soweto area of Johannesburg during the raucous four-hour memorial service. "I doubt anyone could have remained totally stony faced for the duration of the ceremony, while tens of thousands of people were celebrating in the stadium."

Writing in the AFP's blog, Schmidt also denied what he'd read on social media about the First Lady looking "peeved" during the taking of the selfie. "Photos can lie," he said. "In reality, just a few seconds earlier the first lady was herself joking with those around her, [British PM David] Cameron and [Danish PM Helle Thorning] Schmidt [no relation] included. Her stern look was captured by chance."

Schmidt, a German-Colombian photographer currently based in India, says he was actually relieved to see world leaders "simply acting like human beings, like me and you." The photo caused such a stir, he suggested, because we simply don't see enough candid snaps of top politicians. Normally, their environments are too controlled by their handlers.

"Maybe this would not be such an issue if we, as the press, would have more access to dignitaries and be able to show they are human as the rest of us," Schmidt wrote.

Obama Selfie Photographer: No, Michelle Wasn't 'Peeved'

prehistoricgamer

Q.C Passed. Tested. OK
Wow. I had some respect for Obama. Not anymore. Selfies, giggles & flirting, all during the memorial of a world renowned father figure? That's some shame to call himself the Most powerful man on Earth.

I wish Michael Richards was there to give Obama the lesson of his life.

On a side note, I don't think he's going to get laid for another week by Michelle.

debarshi

Otaku
"I doubt anyone could have remained totally stony faced for the duration of the ceremony, while tens of thousands of people were celebrating in the stadium."

This

I dont think he should be criticized for getting along well with another top politician, just because he's the center of attraction (another social media ****)... And however much you say its the memorial, dont you think its more about the duty (liability) as the POTUS rather than respect/grief. How many really attended the memorial with true feelings?

Top Bottom