shutdown is longer after increasing ram

anonymous

Broken In
Hi all,

I have,

1. motherboard-intel DH67CL
  2. processor- intel i5-2400 CPU @ 3.10 GHz
  3. ram- Corsair 8gb ddr3 1333mhz (4GB X 2)
  4. monitor- Viewsonic 19" LED 1366 x 768
  5. cooler master smps 400w with circle cabinet

I am using win7 -64bit

My motherboard has the following RAM slots DIMM1,DIMM2,DIMM3,DIMM4.

In DIMM1 I had 4gb corsair
In DIMM2 I had 4gb corsair.

Recently I bought another ram Corsair 8gb ddr3 1333mhz .

This I placed in DIMM3 8gb corsair.

But now i noticed that the PC is taking 5 minutes to shutdown. I tried putting the ram in DIMM4 too but there is no change in shutdown time.

I removed the 8gb new RAM , and the shutdown time was back to normal of 2 minutes.

Do you think the ram in not compatible? Or should I buy again 8gb for DIMM4?
Please suggest...

rijinpk1

Aspiring Novelist
Hi all,

`snipped`

My motherboard has the following RAM slots DIMM1,DIMM2,DIMM3,DIMM4.

In DIMM1 I had 4gb corsair
In DIMM2 I had 4gb corsair.
Recently I bought another ram Corsair 8gb ddr3 1333mhz .

`snipped`

either you have to use two slots of same colors or or equip all the 4 slots. you sure you put those two 4gb rams on different colored slots?? put in same color slots. one thing you can do is to buy another ram and equip all slots or sell one stick and equip only two of the same colored slots.

OP
A

anonymous

Broken In
either you have to use two slots of same colors or or equip all the 4 slots. you sure you put those two 4gb rams on different colored slots?? put in same color slots. one thing you can do is to buy another ram and equip all slots or sell one stick and equip only two of the same colored slots.

Well, in the motherboard manual, there is a image which shows

Channel A -DIMM1,DIMM3
Channel B - DIMM2,DIMM4.

they have shown a sample placement like...
DIMM1 2GB,DIMM 3 1GB,
DIMM2 2GB,DIMM 4 1GB

that is why I placed my new RAM in DIMM3.

- - - Updated - - -

*www.thewindowsclub.com/make-windows-startup-run-shutdown-faster

I don't think its a problem with the system as without the new RAM , it takes 2 mins to shutdown. I checked this twice with and without ram but system performance has improved.But i will checkout your link. I am wondering if installing the OS again will do some magic...

rijinpk1

Aspiring Novelist
Well, in the motherboard manual, there is a image which shows

Channel A -DIMM1,DIMM3
Channel B - DIMM2,DIMM4.

they have shown a sample placement like...
DIMM1 2GB,DIMM 3 1GB,
DIMM2 2GB,DIMM 4 1GB

that is why I placed my new RAM in DIMM3.

if you have two ram sticks ,place it on the same colored slots. since there is no tripple channel memory support for your board, you have to equip all the 4 slots or use two or just one but not three.

OP
A

anonymous

Broken In
if you have two ram sticks ,place it on the same colored slots. since there is no tripple channel memory support for your board, you have to equip all the 4 slots or use two or just one but not three.

Ok, I had the following doubts...
1)If suppose I am willing to adjust with the shutdown time, what are the other disadvantages/problems that I could come across
2)If I place two new 8gb's in the two slots would that work?
3)If I place four 4gb ones in the all slots ,would that work?

rijinpk1

Aspiring Novelist
Ok, I had the following doubts...

1)If suppose I am willing to adjust with the shutdown time, what are the other disadvantages/problems that I could come across

dual channel wont work.not sure of other problems.

2)If I place two new 8gb's in the two slots would that work?

yes. it will.

3)If I place four 4gb ones in the all slots ,would that work?

yes.it will.

- - - Updated - - -

make sure the ram is of identical cas latency and voltage.

rijinpk1

Aspiring Novelist
Can you please tell me what you mean't by dual channel wont work.Do you mean to say that the currenty placed 4gb rams wont work properly?

How do I check these?I am not finding a good link on the internet for the same.

nopes.
*www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Ev...e-and-Quad-Channel-Memory-Architectures/133/3
*en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multi-channel_memory_architecture

OP
A

anonymous

Broken In
nopes.
*www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Ev...e-and-Quad-Channel-Memory-Architectures/133/3
*en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multi-channel_memory_architecture

Hi all,

My problem seems to have resolved. I followed most of the steps present in the link shared by Flash.

I think what contributed most was this....
After I added the 8gb ram, I noticed my system drive had only 5gb space left...I was shocked. After I started following the instructions present in that link, there was an instruction to limit the page file size if you have a lot of RAM. So I checked my page file size and saw that it had become 16gb after adding the RAM. I changed this a max of 4gb and now I saw that I have 20gb free space. The article also mentions that I need to clear a bit in registry for page file which will disable it from clearing the pagefile everytime it shutdowns. So what was happening is that, everytime I shutdown, it was tring to clear 16gb page file size. Now it is 4gb and I have disabled clearing it during shutdown.

If I enable clearing pagefile at shutdown , it shutdowns in 2 mins.
If I disable clearing pagefile at shutdown it shutdowns in 20 seconds.I have kept the disabled option now as it will reduce the wear and tear on the disk everytime it shutdowns.

I do understand that this configuration of RAM placement is not optimal but right now it seems to be going smooth. But if you all know of any other issues or problems that I may come across , please input them here.

- - - Updated - - -

*www.thewindowsclub.com/make-windows-startup-run-shutdown-faster

Thanks Flash, your tip helped!!!

Top Bottom