Shreeux's Movie Chronicles

OP
shreeux

shreeux

Movie Buff
Re: Movies Discussion Thread V1: Ratings and Opinions

Nicole Kidman’s plays a wife and mother devastated by the disappearance of her two children from a middle-of-nowhere desert town. If only her performance were in the service of a better film.

Strangerland (2015) 6/10
R | 112 min | Drama, Thriller | 10 July 2015

“Strangerland” marks Nicole Kidman’s first starring role in an independent Australian film since 1989’s “Dead Calm,” the movie that put her on the map. Over the many years since Philip Noyce’s claustrophobic thriller on the high seas, Kidman consistently has surprised us and taken chances in a variety of parts. She has dared to visit dark and disturbing places to explore the complicated psychologies of her characters.

OP
shreeux

shreeux

Movie Buff

Fast-moving, epic-on-a-shoestring tale of one Roman soldier's fight that is by turns heroic, fearsome, funny, fateful and,so brutal, with swords hacking off heads at every turn.

Centurion (2010) 7/10
R | 97 min | Action, Adventure, Drama | 30 July 2010 (USA)

OP
shreeux

shreeux

Movie Buff

Have you watched other movies by him ?
The Descent
Dog Soldiers

Yes bro, Don't Miss it...!!!

Watch The Descent: Part 2 also complete the series...quite good..!!!

OP
shreeux

shreeux

Movie Buff

are you sure part 2 is good it has got some bad to funny reviews.

Descent 2 Got bad rating. You think it's worth watching. I don't remember but I might have seen this already.

Its average bro...If you want complete the series go head.,

I am always complete the series..not worry good or bad.,

OP
shreeux

shreeux

Movie Buff

The Chinese director Feng Xiaogang uses the classic epic format to explore what happened when war met famine in the Henan Province of China in 1942, a disaster that cost millions of lives.

Back to 1942 (2012) 7.5/10
"Yi jiu si er" (original title)
Not Rated | 145 min | Drama | 29 November 2012 (China)

- - - Updated - - -

Feng Xiaogang has continued to prove himself one of the most successful and indeed bankable directors working in modern Chinese cinema. “Aftershock” seems him turning his hand to the subject of natural disasters and their devastating.,

Its Highly Recommended to watch...!!!

Aftershock (2010) 9/10
"Tang shan da di zhen" (original title)
135 min | Drama | 22 July 2010 (China)

OP
shreeux

shreeux

Movie Buff

Veteran Chinese director Feng Xiao-gang brings the little known Chinese Civil War into light with this powerful and unflinching film based on a true story. Captain Gu of the Communist Chinese Army’s Ninth Company must prevent a mineral mine from being fallen to the approaching Nationalist KMT army. As Gu and his soldiers wait for their army’s bugle assembly call which may never come, he must decide whether to retreat or fight to the last man. His decision and its consequences will haunt him for the rest of his life.

Its Highly Recommended to watch...!!!

Assembly (2007) 8.5/10
"Ji jie hao" (original title)
124 min | Action, Biography, Drama | 20 December 2007 (China)

OP
shreeux

shreeux

Movie Buff

Assembly was mind blowing ..... if you liked assembly do not miss Brotherhood of war

... and thanks for the PM .. :)

Already watched bro..Brotherhood of war...Look this.....

My Way” from being a superior Korean war epic, and what it lacks in emotion or originality it makes up for with gorgeous visuals and astounding battle scenes.

My Way (2011) 9/10
"Mai wei" (original title)
R | 137 min | Action, Drama, History | 20 April 2012 (USA
)

Je-kyu Kang’s ‘My Way’ is not just a film you watch; it’s a full emotional experience. ‘My Way’ will take you on a moving journey through several countries and languages as you watch the intersecting lives of two young boys, one Korean and one Japanese. This is Korea’s most expensive film to date (approximately 28 million dollars in production costs), which is readily apparent given the epic scale of the film and the Hollywood-style action sequences. This is one of the better films I have seen in recent memory and most definitely the best film dealing with war-time since Spielberg’s ‘Saving Private Ryan’

OP
shreeux

shreeux

Movie Buff

And I have seen My way as well .... :D . ... Ok another suggestion .... have you seen 71 : In to the fire another must watch in the same genre .... :D

Yes, good movie..!!!
Also look this.......

The action in The Front Line is bloody and tense, but the movie also reduces war to its simplest terms, defining it in terms of the reluctant soldiers who know that only accidents of birth and location determined which side of the battlefield they inhabit.

The Front Line (2011) 8/10
"Go-ji-jeon" (original title)
Not Rated | 133 min | Drama, History, War | 20 July 2011 (South Korea)
*www.imdb.com/title/tt2007387/

One of Korea’s biggest blockbusters, depicts the bitter struggle between North and South to gain foothold of a hill at the tail-end of the 1950s civil war. Jang Hun’s (Rough Cut, Secret Reunion) even-handed direction and Park Sang-yeon’s traditional but finely-tuned screenplay instills the right measure of humanist anti-war sentiment and personal heroism, turning the fates of a small company of men confined to one hellish location into an expose of how impersonal military operations literally makes mountains out of molehills.

OP
shreeux

shreeux

Movie Buff

Haha ... I Have seen front line as well ........ :D :D This is fun ... :) Ok another one from me ... Have you seen The City of Life and Death ... and no lying .. :D

Yes, not watched..due to color...its Black&White..anyway in my pending list already.,

Look this...

Based on a true story, German businessman who saved more than 200,000 Chinese during the Nanjing massacre in 1937-38. This is a moving and powerful movie. At times difficult to watch such cruelty, it's uplifting to see the humanity that was exhibited by John Rabe during a horrible war.

City of War: The Story of John Rabe (2009) 8.5/10
"John Rabe" (original title)
134 min | Biography, Drama, History | 2 April 2009

This is a very good German film with a great true story to tell. In the winter of 1937, a group of middle-class European residents in Nanking got together to form a safety zone that saved 200,000 Chinese citizens from the Japanese who under the influence of Emperor Hirohito's uncle, a general with the advancing army, were bent on razing the city. In the event,more than 300,000 men, women and children were murdered, and many thousands raped and mutilated in one of the greatest atrocities of the 20th century.

OP
shreeux

shreeux

Movie Buff

The Flowers of War does it, It made me a unforgettable impression.The plot and the frame of movie are very excellent .Most important, I was deeply stirred by the sad story of 13 FLOWERS . It's a special film of sacrifice, redemption and hope in the shadow of a holocaust that packs with emotional from which there is no escape.

Its Must be watch...!!!

The Flowers of War (2011) 8/10
"Jin líng shí san chai" (original title)
R | 146 min | Drama, History, War | 16 December 2011 (China)

"The Flowers of War" it takes place during the Rape of Nanking (1937-38), one of the most horrifying atrocities in history, during which the Imperial Japanese Army invaded the Chinese capital city and slaughtered an estimated 300,000 civilians, usually raping the women first. It is one thing for civilians to die in the course of a war, and another for them to be hunted down and wiped out on a personal basis for the crime of their race.

OP
shreeux

shreeux

Movie Buff

12 Years a Slave - 7/10 - It's just plain old stuff served again. Seen movies like this, read about it before but there is nothing new to the experience. Cinematography is average. Acting is ok.

Watch this bro..More over slave movies like that with actions.,

That is another way to have a good time, that a western dish made ​​by Tarantino. Quentin Tarantino returns to give us a work amazing and disturbing.

Django Unchained (2012) 9/10
R | 165 min | Western | 25 December 2012 (USA)

OP
shreeux

shreeux

Movie Buff

Based on a true story, The real problem with True Story is contained in its title. The story isn’t too good to be true, but rather too true to be good.

True Story (2015) 4/10
R | 99 min | Drama, Mystery, Thriller | 17 April 2015 (USA)

OP
shreeux

shreeux

Movie Buff

A sweet and sloppy jumble of fantasy, sentimentality, comedy and soul-searching that feels like a sitcom that never got past the pilot stage.

Wish I Was Here (2014) 4/10
R | 106 min | Comedy, Drama | 25 July 2014 (USA)

OP
shreeux

shreeux

Movie Buff

Dir.Hao Ning do highly entertaining cat-and-mouse chases and skirmishes,But Du Jie’s outstanding cinematography.Its must to watch...!!!

No Man's Land (2013) 9/10
"Wu ren qu" (original title)
118 min | Adventure, Crime, Drama | 3 December 2013 (China)

OP
shreeux

shreeux

Movie Buff

Veteran Hong Kong filmmaker Dante Lam shows with his feverish cop thriller “That Demon Within.” Full of blood, tears and fire — from guns and gas explosions — this corpse-ridden movie wrenches us through an overheated plot involving a demon-mask-wearing gang of robbers and a mentally fragile cop.

That Demon Within (2014) 7.5/10
"Mo jing" (original title)
111 min | Action, Crime | 18 April 2014 (Hong Kong)

OP
shreeux

shreeux

Movie Buff

A girl gone astray after the brutal murder of her family decides to reopen the case nearly three decades later in Dark Places, French director Gilles Paquet-Brenner’s proficient if potboilerish adaptation of Gillian Flynn’s bestseller – published three years before her megahit marriage thriller, Gone Girl.

Its interesting story...but lack of some areas...missed to tense thriller..!!!

Dark Places (2015) 6/10
R | 113 min | Drama, Mystery, Thriller | 18 June 2015 (USA)

OP
shreeux

shreeux

Movie Buff

Hwang In-ho’s Monster is the latest entry into the bloody Korean revenge thriller canon, but one with little of the flair of the sub-genre’s best. Particularly brutal and inordinately misogynistic, especially where young women are concerned (including 10-year-olds) Monster shows a potential for stylistic creativity, but the tonally schizophrenic film is ultimately memorable for its untethered violence for the sake of violence.

Monster (2014) 8/10
"Mon-seu-teo" (original title)
113 min | Action | 14 March 2014 (USA)

OP
shreeux

shreeux

Movie Buff

Based on True story....Both a journalist and a documentary filmmaker chase the story of a murder and its prime suspect. Its below average movie..!!!

The Face of an Angel (2014) 4/10
101 min | Drama | 19 June 2015 (USA)

OP
shreeux

shreeux

Movie Buff

A slow story that I wasn't invested in, with characters I didn't care about, and with a twist that was just as dull as the rest of the movie. Its average..!!!

The Lookalike (2014) 5/10
100 min | Crime, Drama, Thriller | 12 August 2014

Top Bottom