should i upgrade to DDR3

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 26636

My PC Specs- ASUS P5KC , Intel Core2Quad Q9300 @ 2.5Ghz...3 Gb DDR2 RAM, ATI HD4850 512mb...now i use my PC mainly for running 3d softwares like blender, GIMP etc...& some bit of gaming...now how much performance increase can i expect if i upgrade to DDR3?is it worth to upgrade or not? Also what will be the price for a 3gb DDR3 RAM? thank you..

Krow

Crowman
You won't get DDR3 ram without buying an entire new setup involving mobo, proccy and ram. Your current specs are good enough. 3GB RAM means 1x1GB and 1x2GB, right? You may upgrade to 2x2GB DDR2 instead. The bandwidth increase by DDR3 RAM is not utilised by most apps yet, so it won't really give you too much of a performance gain. Both DDR2 and DDR3 modules are of similar price now due to recent hike in DDR2 prices. Well, 2x2GB DDR3 would be around 5k.

OP
D

Deleted member 26636

thanx for replying guys...i have an asus P5KC m/b which supports DDR3(so i think), now i think i'll wait for some time & buy another 3gb(1+2) of DDR2 Ram..'ll wait for prices to drop..

Krow

Crowman
Erm... I really don't know of a board which supports both DDR2 and DDR3. Btw, why not 2x2GB DDR2 RAM instead of 1+2. 2x2GB will provide more bandwidth due to running in dual channel provided they are of same manufacturer, same latency and same clockspeed.

OP
D

Deleted member 26636

how much is 2x2 gb going to cost me? BTW here's my board- *in.asus.com/Search.aspx?SearchKey=p5kc

Krow

Crowman
2x2GB will be about 4.5k for DDR3 and 4k for DDR2. Wow! That combo memory support is pretty cool. :)

OP
D

Deleted member 26636

well, thanx a lot...i think i'll be buying 2x2gb RAM now...

MODS please close this thread...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom