Should i cancel my galax gtx geforce 1660 1 click oc card order.?

toofan

Technomancer
Hello friends,
Today I saw a lightning deal on amazon and impulsively bought Galax gtx geforce 1660 1 click oc card for 19665. It was way over my budget so i use 0 emi plan. Now question is... Is it alright to buy 1660 orr i could have got some thing better at that price. Should i cancel my order.? I am looking forward to upgrade my pc in comming months step by step.

Also what should be my pc configuration for upgrade.

1. What is the intended use for this graphic card ? Gaming or workstation work? (Name few Games or applications are you going to run)
Ans: Pubg mobile / call of duty on emulator.
Photo editing on ps, lr and some time lapse videos.
I was a gamer once so already have a amd 1 gb 6700series graphic card.

2. Which Power Supply do you have? (Be EXACT while naming the company and model)
Ans:
Corsair vs450
3. What is your Max budget ?
Ans: exceeded it already.

4. Which Screen resolution will you game at (if applicable)?
Ans: 1080 p monitor i have so 1080 x 1920

5. What are your current computer specifications ?
Ans:
Intel I5 3570
8gb ddr3 ram
6700 series 1 gb card
500 gb hard drive
Corsair carbaide cabinet
Apc 500 ups
Logitech mx518 mouse and some hcl keyboard .

Thanks

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Nothing better but 1660 is too powerful for your old processor & won't be able to perform at its max capacity plus you don't really need such a card for playing just pubg/CoD on emulator.Still I am not a gamer so wait for some more comments.

quicky008

Technomancer
actually 1660 is one of the most VFM cards that's currently available,so as far as your decision to buy this gpu is concerned,i'd say you've made the right choice-however galax isn't known to be the most reliable of brands when it comes to after sales service and so you'd have been better off buying a gpu from a more reputable vendor such as asus or zotac.

If possible,you can cancel that order and get this zotac 1660 from mdcomputers instead-zotac is one of the few brands which offers a 5 years extended warranty(upon registration):

Buy Zotac GeForce GTX 1660 6GB GDDR5 (ZT-T16600F-10L) at Lowest Price in India - mdcomputers.in

and amazon's lightning deal offer was just a gimmick to lure customers-if you check up on the prices of this galax gtx 1660,you'll find that it actually retails for around 19-20k,so they haven't levied any major discounts on the card and have sold it to you at its base MSRP only-therefore you haven't actually gained anything by buying this at their supposed "offer" price.

A side-note:i noticed that you have a corsair vs 450-the 1660 may be a bit too much for this psu to handle,therefore you should also upgrade your psu as soon as possible.

OP
toofan

toofan

Technomancer
actually 1660 is one of the most VFM cards that's currently available,so as far as your decision to buy this gpu is concerned,i'd say you've made the right choice-however galax isn't known to be the most reliable of brands when it comes to after sales service and so you'd have been better off buying a gpu from a more reputable vendor such as asus or zotac.

If possible,you can cancel that order and get this zotac 1660 from mdcomputers instead-zotac is one of the few brands which offers a 5 years extended warranty(upon registration):

Buy Zotac GeForce GTX 1660 6GB GDDR5 (ZT-T16600F-10L) at Lowest Price in India - mdcomputers.in

and amazon's lightning deal offer was just a gimmick to lure customers-if you check up on the prices of this galax gtx 1660,you'll find that it actually retails for around 19-20k,so they haven't levied any major discounts on the card and have sold it to you at its base MSRP only-therefore you haven't actually gained anything by buying this at their supposed "offer" price.

A side-note:i noticed that you have a corsair vs 450-the 1660 may be a bit too much for this psu to handle,therefore you should also upgrade your psu as soon as possible.

Thanks.
Actually buying from amazon due to there 0% EMI option. Md computers doesn't provide 0% emi on the card i have.

I will try to cancel my order and buy a zotac one.

Why would you play CoD mobile and PUBG mobile ?
I love pubg and mobile version is more popular in india and has more players and friends there.
COD mobile is going to be next big hit game.

Nothing better but 1660 is too powerful for your old processor & won't be able to perform at its max capacity plus you don't really need such a card for playing just pubg/CoD on emulator.Still I am not a gamer so wait for some more comments.
Thanks for the input.

maheshn

Journeyman

Actually according to Tom's Hardware and Powenetics, the 1660Ti even draws only 125-132W under full load while gaming or running Furmark etc., so I don't think this PSU is a cause for concern, for your kind information.

off topic - @OP I didn't observe you are in Haldwani... Jim Corbett country!

Last edited:
OP
toofan

toofan

Technomancer
Actually according to Tom's Hardware and Powenetics, the 1660Ti even draws only 125-132W under full load while gaming or running Furmark etc., so I don't think this PSU is a cause for concern, for your kind information.
Okay, means this corsair vs450 w psu will work for now.
I also checked some calculator they too suggested 450 w psu, as max load was only 300 to 325 w.

quicky008

Technomancer

off topic - @OP I didn't observe you are in Haldwani... Jim Corbett country!

so you're saying its ok to run a new gpu like the 1660 with a bottom tier psu ie vs 450?I hope you're willing to sponsor a new psu(and maybe a gpu as well)for the op if he ends up losing the psu or gpu(or maybe even both) should the psu blow up in the near future and irreparably damage other components in the process.

Last edited:
OP
toofan

toofan

Technomancer
What about this psu.
*mdcomputers.in/corsair-cx550-550-watt-80-plus-bronze-cp-9020121-uk.html?sort=p.price&order=ASC

maheshn

Journeyman
so you're saying its ok to run a new gpu like the 1660 with a bottom tier psu ie vs 450?I hope you're willing to sponsor a new psu(and maybe a gpu as well)for the op if he ends up losing the psu or gpu(or maybe even both) should the psu blow up in the near future and irreparably damage other components in the process.

@quicky008, yes, simply being new, does not make a GPU power hungry. I would believe a site like tom's hardware or cybenetics/powenetics who are well established hardware testing/benchmarking site/organizations. Just my two cents. Also, I have seen several places running GTX 1060s off the VS450/550 without any issues. It won't blow up because it's connected to a 1660, period.

FYI, I mentioned a 1660Ti, which draws more power than a vanilla 1660, is even safe with a VS450.

See the details for yourselves:

Power Consumption - Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 Ti 6GB Review: Turing Without The RTX

and

Power Consumption - Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 Review: The Turing Onslaught Continues

It show in great detail the power requirements/consumption of the said graphic cards!

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
What about this psu.
*mdcomputers.in/corsair-cx550-550-watt-80-plus-bronze-cp-9020121-uk.html?sort=p.price&order=ASC
Any Corsair latest CXx5x model is much than any corsair VS series model.CX550 is the best option for its price.For your usage though,even a CX450 will suffice.

OP
toofan

toofan

Technomancer
Hello again,
Its 10th day now using the card. Working flawless as per my system limitations. So after announcement of navi gpu should i still return it.
I checked while installing card that i have a corsair vs550. Its handling it quite well as there is no change in hardware.

OP
toofan

toofan

Technomancer
Today is last day of making return. It does not feel right to do it morally but as it was a impulsive purchase i am in double mind.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
There is no confirm dates when Navi will come to India & what will be its pricing not to mention its performance at that time.Return Galax if you feel like changing it to a better brand like asus or zotac 1660 but waiting for Navi just to play CoD/pubg on emulator is not worth it.

Randy_Marsh

Youngling
1) No need to return your card. It is a really good card and you've bought it at a good price, considering no EMI interest. You are good to go for atleast 4-5 years of gaming @ 1080p with this card.
2) Do not change your PSU. It is not going to "just blow up". It is better to go for some other PSU rather than a VS series one when you don't have any other PSU, but it doesn't make sense to change it when your existing is working fine. EDIT: It's been close to 3 years now, that I have a GTX 1060 (same power draw as of GTX 1660) coupled with VS450 and it works absolutely fine.
3) Nvidia cards are known to draw very less power. Your 550w PSU is more than enough for your card. Even a VS450 can suffice the needs of GTX 1660.
4) Install "MSI Afterburner" (free software), add CPU Usage and GPU usage % on your HUD (google or youtube it to know how to do it) and check real-time usage of your CPU and GPU while gaming. If your CPU is stretched to 100% and GPU is somewhere between 40-50%, then you may start feeling the need of updating your CPU (hence your Mobo and RAM as well) in near future.

Until then, you are fine with your current setup.

OP
toofan

toofan

Technomancer
1) No need to return your card. It is a really good card and you've bought it at a good price, considering no EMI interest. You are good to go for atleast 4-5 years of gaming @ 1080p with this card.
2) Do not change your PSU. It is not going to "just blow up". It is better to go for some other PSU rather than a VS series one when you don't have any other PSU, but it doesn't make sense to change it when your existing is working fine. EDIT: It's been close to 3 years now, that I have a GTX 1060 (same power draw as of GTX 1660) coupled with VS450 and it works absolutely fine.
3) Nvidia cards are known to draw very less power. Your 550w PSU is more than enough for your card. Even a VS450 can suffice the needs of GTX 1660.
4) Install "MSI Afterburner" (free software), add CPU Usage and GPU usage % on your HUD (google or youtube it to know how to do it) and check real-time usage of your CPU and GPU while gaming. If your CPU is stretched to 100% and GPU is somewhere between 40-50%, then you may start feeling the need of updating your CPU (hence your Mobo and RAM as well) in near future.

Until then, you are fine with your current setup.
Thanks for the reply. Yes I am holding it as its working fine. And the Navi prices seems much higher.
Yes the cpu upgrade is overdue. May be the prices will shash down after ryzen latest releases then I will think of upgrades.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks for the reply. Yes I am holding it as its working fine. And the Navi prices seems much higher.
Yes the cpu upgrade is overdue. May be the prices will shash down after ryzen latest releases then I will think of upgrades.

Can you please post temps of the card under gaming load ?

Top Bottom