Should I buy Asus ROG Strix G17 ?

devx

Back on TDF :)
Hi, I hope you guys are safe and doing good.

I'm planning to buy Asus ROG G17 with Ryzen 7 + RTX 3070 8 GB. Is it worth to buy at 1.5 lacs? I'll probably go with EMI from a local store.

Official: ROG Strix G17

I have checked the benchmark and comparison of other laptops available at this price range too. So should I wait a little more for price? Or its the right time to buy this laptop? Thanks!

aby geek

Cyborg Agent
Omen17 and alienware m15 r6 will soon be announced. You could wait to see if their products are superior.
G17 doesn't really have anything going against it but the 155k scar 15 is too compelling a deal if you can find it selling somewhere.

Call rog exclusive stores of areas where you know in normal times people would throng. Only such stores have the habit of keeping stocks updated and they will tell you the exact scene with availability.

OP
devx

devx

Omen17 and alienware m15 r6 will soon be announced. You could wait to see if their products are superior.
G17 doesn't really have anything going against it but the 155k scar 15 is too compelling a deal if you can find it selling somewhere.

Call rog exclusive stores of areas where you know in normal times people would throng. Only such stores have the habit of keeping stocks updated and they will tell you the exact scene with availability.
Thanks!

I have already approached the exclusive store. There are only 2 in the city and one is willing to sell the model that I need at best price with Bajaj EMI options.

Talking about Omen and Alienware I really don't like thier aesthetics. G17 with 17" screen seems much more promising at 1.5.

aby geek

Cyborg Agent
Intel 11th gen processors will be better in gaming so you should take a look at msi's new lineup as well.
If you're are totally sold on g17 just talk with people who have already bought it on reddit r/IndianGaming.

If you are going to create content then ryzen is the way to go without doubt.

Definitely not worth waiting for Alienware. Its not worth it, speaking from experience. Now they improved some aspects but have taken steps back in some aspects compared to my model.

Hi, I hope you guys are safe and doing good.

I'm planning to buy Asus ROG G17 with Ryzen 7 + RTX 3070 8 GB. Is it worth to buy at 1.5 lacs? I'll probably go with EMI from a local store.

Official: ROG Strix G17

I have checked the benchmark and comparison of other laptops available at this price range too. So should I wait a little more for price? Or its the right time to buy this laptop? Thanks!
Do you really want that expensive laptop? Honestly check reviews carefully, with the whole TDP situation, maybe that laptop will be just 10% better than Helios 300 with 3060 which costs 1.1L.

If you want 17", I honestly doubt many options will be available in future as companies don't usually bring 17" models to India.

OP
devx

devx

Do you really want that expensive laptop? Honestly check reviews carefully, with the whole TDP situation, maybe that laptop will be just 10% better than Helios 300 with 3060 which costs 1.1L.

If you want 17", I honestly doubt many options will be available in future as companies don't usually bring 17" models to India.
Yeah I agree to that TDP situation. Looking at Helios 300 at 1.1, they offer 1TB HDD with only 256 GB SSD and 3060 GPU with 6 GB. Not good for the long run, right?

After the purchase, the SSD will require an update to store more running game's + windows. Also, 3060's 6 GB will be consumed easily in demanding game's.

Other Predator Helios and Nitro with 1 TB SSD and 8 GB vram will cost as same as G17. For the same price 17" inch screen is a benefit. Let me know your thoughts.

aby geek

Cyborg Agent
The thing with 17inches is that any bleeding or other flaw will immediately be apparent and the weight easily goes over 3kg. So again deep dive into reviews and see if it is worthy of the money you spend on it.

As for helios 300 has a 1tb ssd model at 125k and a 3070 model at 150k you can check both out and in the mean time wait for jarrod tech's review of omen 17 as they will come with intel 11th gen 11800h or better cpu. If newer laptops don't go upto 3070 in gpu then you can definitely go for g17.
But before purchase make sure to ask g17 users on Indian gaming reddit what do they feel.

Msi new launches are looking the most promising of intel 11th gen launches. You can compare the 11th gen with 4800h and 5800h and decide.

Yeah I agree to that TDP situation. Looking at Helios 300 at 1.1, they offer 1TB HDD with only 256 GB SSD and 3060 GPU with 6 GB. Not good for the long run, right?

After the purchase, the SSD will require an update to store more running game's + windows. Also, 3060's 6 GB will be consumed easily in demanding game's.

Other Predator Helios and Nitro with 1 TB SSD and 8 GB vram will cost as same as G17. For the same price 17" inch screen is a benefit. Let me know your thoughts.

Nitro is not good for a premium laptop due to its chassis IMO. Helios 300 at 1.1L + 1TB SSD (8k) + 16GB RAM (7k) us still like 25k cheaper while having double the RAM & storage. I'll pick 2xM.2 + 1x2.5" storage option over 2xM.2 as HDD is useful for cheap storage of pics & videos.

6GB VRAM is enough for 1080p, which is what that GPU is capable of in most demanding games. Still, if you are looking to buy a 1440p monitor & game on that, RTX 3070 will surely be a better choice as G17 has a 115-130W GPU.

IMO anything over 144Hz on a laptop screen is pointless. A 1440p 144Hz would be better than 1080p 240Hz for most people. Anyways, ext display with bigger screen size is advantageous for PvP games, that's my observation after playing on my laptop (has a 144Hz panel) vs a 24" 1080p 144Hz monitor.

OP
devx

devx

Nitro is not good for a premium laptop due to its chassis IMO. Helios 300 at 1.1L + 1TB SSD (8k) + 16GB RAM (7k) us still like 25k cheaper while having double the RAM & storage. I'll pick 2xM.2 + 1x2.5" storage option over 2xM.2 as HDD is useful for cheap storage of pics & videos.

6GB VRAM is enough for 1080p, which is what that GPU is capable of in most demanding games. Still, if you are looking to buy a 1440p monitor & game on that, RTX 3070 will surely be a better choice as G17 has a 115-130W GPU.

IMO anything over 144Hz on a laptop screen is pointless. A 1440p 144Hz would be better than 1080p 240Hz for most people. Anyways, ext display with bigger screen size is advantageous for PvP games, that's my observation after playing on my laptop (has a 144Hz panel) vs a 24" 1080p 144Hz monitor.
I totally agree!

This is what the plan is, will get additional M.2 HDD. For now, I have FHD 24" monitor which I'm currently using while I work from home. Once I move to other city after covid is over hopefully then I'll get 2k monitor.

Another reason to pick 17" is that I wear spectacles so I would always prefer a bigger screen to work. It just improves my productivity.

I just checked with local store today and G17 with 3070 is not available. Will have to wait until the lockdown is over in my zone.

Btw I would have gone for a full gaming rig but don't want to move it every single time. I once did it few years back and it was a horrible experience.

aby geek

Cyborg Agent
Acer has updated triton and helios series today. Helios 500 is looking awesome. They will release in US in july and august but they most likely will be above 1.5l and the flagship going over 2.5l.

aby geek

Cyborg Agent
Msi has 17 inch model in the whole line up. Just dont go with qhd displays for gpu below 3070 as due to low tgp in some variants performance might suffer.

Will you primarily game or work?

TheSloth

The Slowest One
A laptop with 15-inch screen and a good external monitor according to GPU serves better than 17-inch screen laptops. Omega already posted his gaming experience and for watching movies/series, better experience with bigger screens.

OP
devx

devx

Msi has 17 inch model in the whole line up. Just dont go with qhd displays for gpu below 3070 as due to low tgp in some variants performance might suffer.

Will you primarily game or work?
Mostly games as I have a seperate laptop for work from my employer.

aby geek

Cyborg Agent
For gaming intel 11th gen is a good pick.
Ask authorized msi retailer near you to send you all configs with 3070. They 85 w and over I guess.
Also ask them about their pcs like mag infinite x 11th if it is within this budget and the configuration has value as desktop parts will have greater tgp.

The zephyrus g15 is looking good below 140k you can save up for a monitor then and buy it later.

The zotac magnus one barebone is available for 142k with 3070 desktop. The build is good and cooling is great.
But the cost of drive ram and monitor on top of it takes it to another segment.

Rumors are rife that Nintendo might announce switch pro before E3 so that devs can show some stuff in the event.
You could wait a little if you want to game on the tv.

OP
devx

devx

A laptop with 15-inch screen and a good external monitor according to GPU serves better than 17-inch screen laptops. Omega already posted his gaming experience and for watching movies/series, better experience with bigger screens.
Yeah I'm starting to think so.

Also, due to lockdown most of the local retailers doesn't have good stock and online deliveries (Amazon & Flipkart) are not available from past one month and it might continue.

For 15" Predator Helios 300 (i7 10870H + 3060) seems reasonable at acer online store. *store.acer.com/en-in/laptops/gamin...-6-cm-15-6-inches-fhd-ips-display-nh.qc?qty=1 Some people have got this at 1.06 lacs too.

But I'll wait for couple more days to get the best deal.

OP
devx

devx

For gaming intel 11th gen is a good pick.
Ask authorized msi retailer near you to send you all configs with 3070. They 85 w and over I guess.
Also ask them about their pcs like mag infinite x 11th if it is within this budget and the configuration has value as desktop parts will have greater tgp.

The zephyrus g15 is looking good below 140k you can save up for a monitor then and buy it later.

The zotac magnus one barebone is available for 142k with 3070 desktop. The build is good and cooling is great.
But the cost of drive ram and monitor on top of it takes it to another segment.

Rumors are rife that Nintendo might announce switch pro before E3 so that devs can show some stuff in the event.
You could wait a little if you want to game on the tv.
Local retailers doesn't have 10th gen at the moment so can't expect an 11th

Zephyrus and ROG G15 keyboard doesn't have a dedicated numeric keypad but that doesn't bother too much as I'll buy a seperate keyboard. However, G17 at150k seems better than Zephyrus, G15 and MSI 10th gen.

Desktop is not an option

OP
devx

devx

Also, what do guys say about the Predator 300 thermals? I believe it's the same old 2020 chasis and just the CPU and GPU upgrade.

CPU is i7 10th so can't expect a cooling like Ryzen and does 59 whr battery enough?

Also, what do guys say about the Predator 300 thermals? I believe it's the same old 2020 chasis and just the CPU and GPU upgrade.

CPU is i7 10th so can't expect a cooling like Ryzen and does 59 whr battery enough?
Yes, same old chassis. Look into how to undervolt that. By default 2020 model couldn't be undervolted, but some users say now it can be. Look more into it. Considering how my friend's 2019 model is working, IMO 40W CPU power limit + 3.6GHz freq limit with undervolt is good enough for it.

Top Bottom