Should I buy Apple? (I bought it!!!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

goobimama

 Macboy
I have always harassed my dad to buy an apple iMac and finally now, when he finds that his compaq laptop isn't working fine (crappy), he feels we should go in for the apple iBook. Now my question, are there any known issues with the iBook?

The Laptop wont be used for any gaming and stuff like that, just straightforward office work and sometimes I'll tinker with Photoshop. Maybe play a DVD while I'm at it. Anyway, if there are any known problems like if the service is bad, please let me know.

Milind

zombie

Resident Weapons Expert
Hey buddy, you want to buy iBook. By all means go for it. As you told me that it wont be stressed much as you'll be using it to run office applications and PS once in a while, its good enough for you. In case you have some higher requirements, you can always go for PowerBook (SRK uses 1 in Swadesh). Servicing wont be a problem now. So by all means go for it. But keep in mind that you'll have to buy only licensed s/w for your machine since pirated Apple compatible s/w is extremely rare.

Re: Should I buy Apple?

goobimama said:
I have always harassed my dad to buy an apple iMac and finally now, when he finds that his compaq laptop isn't working fine (crappy), he feels we should go in for the apple iBook. Now my question, are there any known issues with the iBook?

Milind

Depends on what he'll be using it for. Especially if he's using it for work, then there might be a lot of apps that don't have MAC OS compatible versions. Like Tally, for example.

-k

OP
goobimama

goobimama

 Macboy
Like I said, I will be using it for applications which I have researched and found are available for the Mac. No probs on the software front. Just wanted to know if there were some faults with the system which should keep me away from that beauty.

About the PowerBooks, I hear they don't justify the price. (Weird: I am listening to yeh jo des tera from Swades)

zombie

Resident Weapons Expert
Hmmm. So you have done your homework. iBook is meant for students and low-medium end users. PowerBook is worth the money provided you have enough use for it. No other problems with this baby.

mail2and

Walking, since 2004.
I guess ibook is enough for anything you do. PS runs well on ibook. There are no probz with it.

When you buy the ibook.. compare the screen with a vaio... and u'll know why it's an apple...

If you're buying from India, call up their hotline as they hv some finance schemes too... be sure u buy the recently updated one and not the old one....

OP
goobimama

goobimama

 Macboy
Well, they are giving me the 14 inch model which costs 78k for 60k as the 12 inchers are out of stock. But its not the latest model, that is, it doesn't have the Sudden Motion Sensor and is a 1.33 Ghz PPC while the new one is 1.42Ghz. I think its okay since i am getting such a heavy discount on it.

zombie

Resident Weapons Expert
14" only for 60K. Now thats a steal. Go for it dude. AFAIK, Apple provideds some discounts to students for their wares. So you better check it. I know where your call lands up when you call Apple help line in India. And they are good guys. So dont worry about the support.

Monster_AMD

Broken In
Go for it!

Hey, I love my iBook. It will be great if u go for it. Mac OS 10.4 is among the sexiest stuff in the world (belive me). It is much simpler than Windows. And the iBooks are very much lighter than WinLaptops. All the major software that are made for windows are available for Mac OS 10.4 (X Tiger) too. I have IE, MS Office 2004, Adobe InDesign, Photoshop 7, Eudora etc. It will be better if u use software that will be cross platform. So that u can use it with both Mac n PC. Also Mac can read and write to FAT32 partitions. But my Mac only reads NTFS partitions. Anyway I do not use NTFS.

G

gxsaurav

Remembar, there is hardly any piracy of apple in india, it will be hard to find the software

OP
goobimama

goobimama

 Macboy
Oh don't worry about the pirated software :lol: I Got that under control.....I don't think I'm allowed to mention where I'm getting it from though...

Anyway, I worked on an apple iMac G5 system yesterday, and it worked beautifully. Opened up some files, used all the software I needed and I'm going for the kill just about tomorrow...

Thanks a lot guys..

OP
goobimama

goobimama

 Macboy
I got it! I got it! I Got it! (As in my dad got it..blah blah).

The system is excellent. And powerful too. Applications open up in no time and the OSX Tiger, oh my, its beautiful!

I will write a full fledged review once I use it for at least a week.

Till then,
Goobimama (From the mac)

zombie

Resident Weapons Expert
Hey lucky guy...congrats for getting that beauty....

G5 processors are confined to desktops as of now. Biggest problem being size of the processor module. But its so powerful. Alternately you can treat a iMac G5 as a notebook if you are strong enough... :twisted:

sidewinder

Ambassador of Buzz
Re: Should I buy Apple?

goobimama said:

The Laptop wont be used for any gaming and stuff like that, just straightforward office work and sometimes I'll tinker with Photoshop. Maybe play a DVD while I'm at it. Anyway, if there are any known problems like if the service is bad, please let me know.

Milind
The only thing I know abt apple is its EXPENSIVE
So if u have loads of money then why not????

zombie

Resident Weapons Expert
Sidewinder, thats popular misconception even Ferraris, BMWs & Mercs are costly. :twisted: But Apple has products for every segment. Its upto the consumer to decide. For low end Apple has Mac-mini. For hi-end computing, they have state-fo-the-art PowerMac G5 with dual blazing fast G5 processors & loads of RAM.

OP
goobimama

goobimama

 Macboy
This iBook is totally worth it. I mean, if you go to buy a quality laptop you wont pay less than 55k or something in that line. The cheap ones are really not worth it, first hand experience.

Also, I've seen the iMacG5 1.8Ghz perform at the showroom and I can tell you that my P4 is nothing compared to what it can do. Don't really care for the mini though as you have to plug in your own monitor and that's where all the apple styling goes to waste...you only tend to see the monitor...

Not seen a Powermac G5 yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom