Should I buy a new keyboard/mouse combo or is it possible to replace just keyboard or is it possible to repair the keys?

srdigit16

In the zone
I have a Logitech MK235 wireless keyboard & mouse combo bought 2 years ago. Nowadays few keys have to be pressed little harder (mainly space bar, C, Alt), what to do?

Last edited:
If it is in warranty, claim warranty. Else try to blow dust or clean with a soft brush & hope it solves the issues. If not, then time for a new one.

rockfella

Ambassador of Buzz
I have a Logitech wireless keyboard & mouse combo bought 2 years ago. Nowadays few keys have to be pressed little harder (mainly space bar, C, Alt), what to do?
That happens with membrane keyboards. If wireless is not a priority consider mechanical wired kb.

rockfella

Ambassador of Buzz
what has wired or wireless has to do with the problem?
Wireless mechanical keyboards are costly. If you buy cheap wireless membrane keyboard again this issue will happen again. Only way you can avoid this problem is to get a cheap mechanical kb (hence recommending wired option as mechanical wired KBs are cheap). Other option is to get a wireless mechanical but the cost will be high.

So op is out of luck or what? :p
Sadly long term reliability is not what companies want.

A friend had a 3.5k Redgear mech KB, some of its keys are not working all the time. Cleaning didn't help & switch is not hot swappable. He bought a new KB. Used KB for 2.5 years.

I have had 2-3k costing mice fail on me within 2 years. Currently using Viper Mini which was RMA'd once in warranty & now its middle mouse button has stopped working outside warranty. Had G304 before it with its infamous double click issue. Right now I just reassigned middle click to DPI switch & using my mouse.

Cosmic Byte recently released some hot swap switch mech KBs though - CB GK34. This might be better as if a few switches have issues, you can easily troubleshoot & replace just the switches. PCB should generally last long.

rockfella

Ambassador of Buzz
Sadly long term reliability is not what companies want.

A friend had a 3.5k Redgear mech KB, some of its keys are not working all the time. Cleaning didn't help & switch is not hot swappable. He bought a new KB. Used KB for 2.5 years.

I have had 2-3k costing mice fail on me within 2 years. Currently using Viper Mini which was RMA'd once in warranty & now its middle mouse button has stopped working outside warranty. Had G304 before it with its infamous double click issue. Right now I just reassigned middle click to DPI switch & using my mouse.

Cosmic Byte recently released some hot swap switch mech KBs though - CB GK34. This might be better as if a few switches have issues, you can easily troubleshoot & replace just the switches. PCB should generally last long.

*www.amazon.in/HV-KB366L-Backlit-Me...f=sr_1_2?keywords=havit&qid=1678513643&sr=8-2

Been using this for 2 years almost 8 hours a day (office work + gaming) working fine till date. Don't know what to say.

OP
S

srdigit16

In the zone
That happens with membrane keyboards. If wireless is not a priority consider mechanical wired kb.
Hi the model number is MK235 is that mechanical or membrane? It is not mentioned in the specs,
Are the embeded keyboards in a laptop mechanical or membrane? I earlier had a HP g6-2132tx which as same issues in its keyboard.

rockfella

Ambassador of Buzz
Hi the model number is MK235 is that mechanical or membrane? It is not mentioned in the specs,
Are the embeded keyboards in a laptop mechanical or membrane? I earlier had a HP g6-2132tx which as same issues in its keyboard.
Membrane, the problem you are facing is exactly what I faced with mine.

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
All laptop keyboards have membrane switches with the exception of a few gaming laptops which have low profile mechanical switches.

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk

OP
S

srdigit16

In the zone
If I buy a Logitech wireless keyboard alone is it possible to pair it with my current USB receiver (which has my current mouse paired with it) or is it possible to pair my current mouse with the new receiver which I will get with the keyboard?

TheSloth

The Slowest One
If I buy a Logitech wireless keyboard alone is it possible to pair it with my current USB receiver (which has my current mouse paired with it) or is it possible to pair my current mouse with the new receiver which I will get with the keyboard?
no you can't pair like that. products which comes with receiver will connect to only their receivers. So you need to insert 2 receivers in USB port for keyboard and mouse each. Buy a keyboard mouse combo to have 1 receiver. or Buy mouse keyboard with bluetooth connectivity and use inbuilt bluetooth adapter to connect both peripherals

patkim

Cyborg Agent
You may try but, in my experience, local repair shops generally do not take up accessories for repairs like keyboard/mouse/unbranded PSU/DVD drives etc.
The cost of time and effort spent in troubleshooting is not worth the profit earned by them from such tasks.

If you have IPA cleaner try spraying it underneath the hardened keys and see if that removes dirt etc and makes it a bit soft to operate.

Top Bottom