Shall I upgrade my desktop for running Windows 8?

imuday

Right off the assembly line
Hi,

I have an age old desktop computer (assembled in early 2007) with the following configuration:

Processor: Intel Pentium D
Hard Disk: 80GB Seagete
RAM: 512MB

It's out of service for last 6 months almost because of some problem in mother-board. The mother-board is an AsRock product. My technician is saying I shall upgrade my PC but I am in no mood to do so at this point of time but at the same time I am in dire need of a working PC. So I am thinking to make it up and running with minimum expenditure for repairing my out of service desktop PC. I want to run Windows 7 at least since Windows XP support won't be available from Microsoft anymore.

Please give me your helpful suggestions so that I can run Windows 7 or 8 and can do pretty much of decent surfing on this PC without spending much amount of money.

Thanks a lot

chris

In the zone
Since motherboard is fault and you need to run latest OS. You have to replace motherboard, CPU and RAM. It is better to get a new cabinet, cheap mother board, cpu and ram. Use existing 80 GB HDD and power supply (if possible) with it. Some of the experienced users can give you suggestions on exact MB/CPU configurations.

quicky008

Technomancer
Please mention how much money you're willing to spend on replacing the faulty components.If you wish to replace only the motherboard,you may opt for this:

Buy Online Gigabyte GA-G41M-Combo Intel Motherboard in india

bssunilreddy

Chosen of the Omnissiah
Hi,

I have an age old desktop computer (assembled in early 2007) with the following configuration:

It's out of service for last 6 months almost because of some problem in mother-board. The mother-board is an AsRock product. My technician is saying I shall upgrade my PC but I am in no mood to do so at this point of time but at the same time I am in dire need of a working PC. So I am thinking to make it up and running with minimum expenditure for repairing my out of service desktop PC. I want to run Windows 7 at least since Windows XP support won't be available from Microsoft anymore.

Please give me your helpful suggestions so that I can run Windows 7 or 8 and can do pretty much of decent surfing on this PC without spending much amount of money.

Thanks a lot

Windows 7 is best and it has support until 2015.

$hadow

Geek in making
yup win 7 is the most perfect window till date plus devs have fixed nearly all the bug plus the support is there till 2015.

chris

In the zone
support is there till 2015.

That is 2 more years :)

Go for Windows 8, if you can get used to new Metro interface. I considered updating my Windows 7 to Windows 8, but Windows 8 have no Applocker (only Cop edition have it, that strictly only for corp with 5+ windows pc), one of the main reason i stay with Windows 7.

rijinpk1

Aspiring Novelist
Hi,

Thanks a lot

get a new cheap pc. your configuration is really outdated.
i suggest to get at-least
intel pentium g2020 - 3.5k
gigabyte ga-h61m-d2h - 3.5k
corsair value select 2gb ram - 1.4k
antec bp300p - 1.8k

OP
I

imuday

Please mention how much money you're willing to spend on replacing the faulty components.If you wish to replace only the motherboard,you may opt for this:

Buy Online Gigabyte GA-G41M-Combo Intel Motherboard in india

Within 5k only. I dont want to spend more than that as you know the configuration is too old now.

OP
I

imuday

Can you please suggest some good online place where I can sell my old PC's components etc. I can think of getting a new one only after selling this PC or throwing it out for some good reason.

rijinpk1

Aspiring Novelist
Can you please suggest some good online place where I can sell my old PC's components etc. I can think of getting a new one only after selling this PC or throwing it out for some good reason.

try olx,quikr etc.

chris

In the zone
try olx,quikr etc.

Can you really sell old components like this ? The buyer have to trust your word, with 0 warranty left, it will be a high risk purchase.

See if some pc sellers can take your old stuff when you get new. They may able to use it to repair old pc's or pcs under AMC.

Top Bottom