Seriously considering system upgrade now (AAA gaming/video editing) 60-70k

Randy_Marsh

Youngling
1. What is the purpose of the computer? What all applications and games are you going to run? (Be exact. Which games? Which applications? Avoid the word 'et cetera.' Vague answers like 'gaming' or 'office work' will not work.)
Ans: AAA titles like Cyberpunk 2077, Red dead redemption 2, Death stranding. Also E sports title like csgo. Other purpose would be video editing (Adobe Premiere Pro) primarily for YouTube.

2. What is your overall budget? If you can extend a bit for a more balanced configuration, then please mention.
Ans: Not fixed. I can certainly spend 60-70k as of now (without upgrading graphics card now. Planning to do it after some months)

3. Planning to overclock?
Ans: Never done it before but certainly wishes to. Not immediately but sometime in future.

4. Which Operating System are you planning to use?
Ans: Windows 10.

5. How much hard drive / solid-state drive space is needed?
Ans: Already have 1) 1TB SSD 2) 250GB SSD 3) 2TB HDD. Don't need anymore.

6. Do you want to buy a monitor? If yes, please mention the screen size and resolution you prefer. If you already have a monitor and want to reuse it, then do mention the screen size and resolution of the monitor you have.
Ans: Not now. I have Acer (some model) 24 inch 1080p 144Hz Monitor. (TN panel though). I'll definitely upgrade it to a 1440p (27 inch) or maybe even 4k (if prices drop) with bigger screen size sometime in future. So, this system should be able to handle the extra pixels.

7. Which components you DON'T want to buy? i.e. which components you already have and plan on reusing?
Ans: Keyboard + mouse, monitor, graphics card (I have 1060 6GB GTX as of now. Will use it for some months until I have enough money to go for RTX 3070 or 3080.)

8. When are you planning to buy the system?
Ans: By Jan 2021 (considering stocks of new components would get stabilized in market)

9. Have you ever built a desktop before? Or, will this be done by an assembler?
Ans: Yes, will build this one myself as well.

10. Where do you live? Are you buying locally? Are you open to buying stuff from online shops if you don't get locally?
Ans: Gurgaon. Can buy online or from Nehru place, Delhi.

11. Anything else which you would like to say?
Ans: Will a Ryzen 5600x suffice my needs or should I go for 5800x? On the Intel side, the options are 10700k or 10900k but I also read somewhere that they are going to release 11th gen soon (14nm again but with better architecture).
Looking to buy following components right now:

1) Processor (plus decent cooling)
2) Motherboard
3) RAM (already have DDR4 16GB 2400MHz sticks. Should I re-use?)
4) Cabinet.

Regarding power supply: I have cx550 as of now, 1 year old. I guess I can use it as of now because I would be using 1060gtx for the time being.

Thanks in advance.

monkey

Padawan
I don't know what others will recommend but I personally feel its not a right time to buy AMD CPUs due to inflated prices. R5 5600 should retail for about 24k (comparing it with similarly priced Intel CPUs) but its nowhere below 28.5k. Online the price is 30k+. I feel you to wait till mid-Jan for the prices to adjust and since Intel's 11th Gen CPUs are expected too by that time.

BTW, I too was planning to buy a new system but due to bad pricing and availability of CPUs and GPUs I have postponed the purchase to Feb-Mar period.

OP
Randy_Marsh

Randy_Marsh

Youngling
Yes, I agree. 5600x is overpriced so it doesn't make sense to buy it right now. What about the 5800x though? It is for approx. 40k right now, which I guess is the right price for it? or am I wrong?
My budget allows for it but then we also have 10900k selling at the same price. Confused!

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends
Definitely don't base a gaming rig on Intel at the moment. Amd ones far outperform any Intel based setup and are much more future proof in the long run.

Sent from my vivo 1807 using Tapatalk

TheSloth

The Slowest One
Definitely don't base a gaming rig on Intel at the moment. Amd ones far outperform any Intel based setup and are much more future proof in the long run.

If OP is planning to go with 5800x then the upgrade path gets quite limited to 5900x, 5950x only, since this Ryzen series processors are the last one to support AM4 and the next lineup will be on a new AM5 socket. This obviously is not officially confirmed but most probably will happen according to several online articles. Only option would be to change mobo and possibly RAM also, which makes Intel a legit option this time.

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends
If OP is planning to go with 5800x then the upgrade path gets quite limited to 5900x, 5950x only, since this Ryzen series processors are the last one to support AM4 and the next lineup will be on a new AM5 socket. This obviously is not officially confirmed but most probably will happen according to several online articles. Only option would be to change mobo and possibly RAM also, which makes Intel a legit option this time.
Still wouldn't recommend a far inferior product in hopes of buying another inferior product in the future just as to reuse a few components.

nac

Aspiring Novelist
Though 5600X is better than 10700K for gaming, the difference is not huge. But for video editing, 10700K sure outperforms 5600X and margin is bigger than what it gains in gaming. But again, AMD has 3800X costs about the same and performs equally good when it comes to video editing and little less when it comes to gaming.
Yeah, for gaming + video editing sure 10900K is better than 5800X and both costs the same.

Adobe loves Intel but with an i7/i9 K CPU, you will have to buy a Z490 mobo, which is expensive compared to B550 that you will pair with R5 5600X. Also needs a beefier cooler. In Jan 2021, R5 5600 & R7 5700X might be released, bit underclocked lower silicon lottery CPU variants of 5600X & 5800X for maybe 24k & 35k.

AMD Rig:

CPU - AMD R5 5600X - 28k
Cooler - CM Hyper 212 Black - 4.2k
Mobo - MSI B550 Gaming Plus - 14.5k
RAM - 2x8GB DDR4 3600MHz - 6.5k
Cabinet - Lian Li 215 or other mid tower ATX - 6.4k (can vary)

Total - 59.6k

Intel rig:

CPU - Intel i9 10850K - 38k
Cooler - Deepcool Gamerstorm Assassin III - 7.5k
Mobo - MSI MAG Z490 Tomahawk - 20k
RAM - 2x8GB DDR4 3600MHz - 6.5k
Cabinet - Lian Li 215 or other mid tower ATX - 6.4k (can vary)

Total - 78.4k

So for 20k extra, you will get noticeably better video editing performance but close to 5600X gaming performance. For Intel system, get a beefier CPU as well because an i9 10900K can hit close to 300W momentarily when overclocked, so a 750W Gold or 850W Gold at least for 3070 or 3080.

Another option that can be considered is swapping CPU on AMD rig for a R9 3900X/XT for 38-40k. You will take a hit on gaming performance, but its better than even an i9 10900K (unless the application is heavily Intel favouring, like using quick sync in Premiere). Although for single threaded applications, Ryzen 5600X trumps even older top CPUs (check Photoshop benchmark).

Long but I hope you have enough info to make a choice.

CPU (1).png

CPU (2).png

1608778848428.png

1608778974243.png

Source: HU

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends
Found an article that was published today that said the exact opposite of your post pretty much. Please have a look once :

*www.tweaktown.com/asktheexperts/38...pick-for-best-future-upgradability/index.html

TheSloth

The Slowest One
Found an article that was published today that said the exact opposite of your post pretty much. Please have a look once :

*www.tweaktown.com/asktheexperts/38...pick-for-best-future-upgradability/index.html

*wccftech.com/amd-ryzen-5000-zen-4-am5-desktop-cpus-ddr5-usb-4-support-2022/

New information regarding AMD's next-generation AM5 platform which would support Zen 4 based Ryzen 5000 Desktop CPUs has leaked out over at GamersNexus. The site claims that AMD will offer two key technologies in its next-generation desktop lineup when it arrives in 2022 as showcased in an internal roadmap.

At this point, it is a rumor, but i believe AM5 will not be supporting AM4 based CPUs. If OP goes with 5800x, then its already a high end processor and next upgrade will be 5900x or 5950x. But generally, anyone who is using Ryzen 1xxx, 2xxx or 3xxx have good upgrade path without changing the entire core components of the system since AM4 is compatible with all these existing Ryzen lineup.

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends
*wccftech.com/amd-ryzen-5000-zen-4-am5-desktop-cpus-ddr5-usb-4-support-2022/

At this point, it is a rumor, but i believe AM5 will not be supporting AM4 based CPUs. If OP goes with 5800x, then its already a high end processor and next upgrade will be 5900x or 5950x. But generally, anyone who is using Ryzen 1xxx, 2xxx or 3xxx have good upgrade path without changing the entire core components of the system since AM4 is compatible with all these existing Ryzen lineup.
It seems pretty much no one has a clue what's happening next, hence the different stories. I suppose better to give the benefit of the doubt to AMD who have always had a infinitely better track record than Intel regarding upgradability.

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
@thetechfreak but benchmarks in various youtube videos confirms that 10900k beats or at par with 5800x. Even 5900x is the rightful competitor for 10900k..
You can take a look at AnandTech's low resolution numbers as they entirely eliminate GPU's effect: AMD Zen 3 Ryzen Deep Dive Review: 5950X, 5900X, 5800X and 5600X Tested

It is not representative of real-world, but it puts different CPU architectures right where they belong/would be a couple of years down the line.

This is what the case is:
Ryzen 7 5800X (8C/16T) > Intel i7-10700K (8C16T)
Intel i9-10900K (10C20T) > Ryzen 7 5800X (8C/16T), obviously due to more cores.
Ryzen 9 5900X (12C/24T) > Intel i9-10900K (10C20T), obviously due to more cores.

Now, I do agree that Ryzen is overpriced in India and doesn't make sense right now. AMD said they will support AM4 till 2020, and 2020 is over now. Rumours point towards a new socket and DDR5 for the next generation.

You can wait for Rocket Lake (11th gen) if you want to, because they should edge out AMD's performance. Also, l don't think anybody will buy Comet Lake (10th gen) and upgrade to Rocket Lake (11th gen).

Very few people upgrade CPU, that's the reality. (unless they buy an i3 or Ryzen 3).

bssunilreddy

Chosen of the Omnissiah
Budget -67.4K

AMD Ryzen 5 5600X -32.5k
Gigabyte B550 Auros Elite AX Wifi -15.9k
ADATA XPG SPECTRIX 1D60G 6GB (8GBx2) 3600Mhz -7.6k
Antec DF600 FLUX Cabinet -6.2k
Antec NEPTUNE 120ARGB CPU Cooler -5.2k
Total -67.4k

All above prices are taken from vedantcomputers except specified above.

OP
Randy_Marsh

Randy_Marsh

Youngling
Thank you guys for all the responses! Unfortunately I couldn't reply earlier because of travelling.
Reading all your thoughts, I am yet again, confused! :|
The main reason I wish to upgrade my system is because I am not able to play AAA titles smoothly anymore (even on low settings)..especially Cyberpunk 2077, Flight Simulator 2020 and AC Valhalla (still runs a bit better). I know some games aren't greatly optimized for PC but still, nothing can be done about it.
My thoughts are:

1. Should I wait more? especially because intel soon be releasing revised 11th gen and they would surely want to beat zen 3 series in performance as well as price in mid-segment tier. Also, I didn't know that DDR5 memory is around the curve too..
2. Stocks fluctuations in the market as of now..

Earlier, I was making my mind for a 5800x or 10900k (40k processors) but then I saw detailed benchmarks of 5600x and now I think it would easily suffice my needs. Video editing is one req. but priority is gaming.

OP
Randy_Marsh

Randy_Marsh

Youngling
Budget -67.4K

AMD Ryzen 5 5600X -32.5k
Gigabyte B550 Auros Elite AX Wifi -15.9k
ADATA XPG SPECTRIX 1D60G 6GB (8GBx2) 3600Mhz -7.6k
Antec DF600 FLUX Cabinet -6.2k
Antec NEPTUNE 120ARGB CPU Cooler -5.2k
Total -67.4k

All above prices are taken from vedantcomputers except specified above.

Thank you. I am actually thinking of this config. (with MSI B550 Gaming Edge Wifi mobo) but the price of 5600x looks bit steep as of now. :|

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
The main reason I wish to upgrade my system is because I am not able to play AAA titles smoothly anymore (even on low settings)..especially Cyberpunk 2077, Flight Simulator 2020 and AC Valhalla (still runs a bit better). I know some games aren't greatly optimized for PC but still, nothing can be done about it.
Yes. That's because all Intel 4C4T CPUs (like your i5-6600) are useless for AAA games ever since 6C12T became the norm with Ryzen 5.

OP
Randy_Marsh

Randy_Marsh

Youngling
@ico sad but true. In some cases, this processor has started bottlenecking even my 1060GTX. :| I'll shift it in my dad's pc as an upgrade, once I get my hands on a new sweet chip!

TheSloth

The Slowest One
Yes. That's because all Intel 4C4T CPUs (like your i5-6600) are useless for AAA games ever since 6C12T became the norm with Ryzen 5.
I don't get it, now AAA kind of games are using more than 4 cores? I thought Intel were still in the game because their CPUs were faster than AMD in single core performance which basically benefits the game performance.

I am sorry this thread is continuing in different direction. But please clarify my above doubt.

Top Bottom