Second LG DVD writer does not work on Vista

legendster

Right off the assembly line
Ok this is a very weird problem and I am using computers since I was 3 and today I m 20, this is so anoying that i finally had to post my first forum post asking for help related to computer hardwares.

Nuff braggin.

Anyways, Here's My spec :
Asus Motherboard P5KPL-AM/PS
Intel E5700 D-Core 3.00 ghz processor
500 GB WD Green Hard drive (Sata)
Biostar GT 220 1GB DDR3 (nvidia Chipset) Graphics Card

1st Optical Drive : Sony RW DRU 190A (PATA) [Master]
2nd Optical Drive : LG DT ST DVD RAM GH22NP21 (PATA) [Slave]
3rd Optical Drive : LG DT ST DVD RAM GH22NS70 (Sata)

My problem lies with the 2nd optical drive which is the Slave PATA LG GH22NP21.
Here's the deal :
**It ONLY detects a media (be it CD or DVD) when it is BLANK, My other drives will read that very same disc which probably is writter an hour ago but that Drive wont read anything else other than a blank disk.
If I insert a perfectly working DVD in it it just keeps blinking (the light) and then the light just stays on forever.

**Whenever I try to write something in it be it with Nero 9, 10 or 7 OR even LG Power tools, the progress bar for writting stays at zero - I once left it overnight to see if it progresses even by 1% but no luck - all the while the light on the Drive is not on at all.. But as soon as I hit the stop button the write starts progressing goes about 10-15% and says "Operation aborted by user" pisses me off wasted 10 verbatim DVD's on this!!!**

So let me know if I am missing any details and if this is fixable ?

THE ONLY reason I bought this PATA drive inspite of having a SATA one is because the SATA drives dont give the option of writing DVD's at 4X (if it does PLEASE show me how)

**THE MOST IMPORTANT AND WEIRD THING OF ALL :shock: : This Writer works fine when connected to a different computer, reads perfectly writes perfectly ! I even changed the PATA (IDE) cable re aligned the Jumpers to MASTER/SLAVE and now both to CSEL configurations but NOTHING WORKS**

So Guys PLEASE help me out here !:-?:cry::confused::wah::blink::unsure::ashamed:
:reading:
:pullhair::banghead::deadbored::aaargh::boxer:

Last edited:

d6bmg

BMG ftw!!
THE ONLY reason I bought this PATA drive inspite of having a SATA one is because the SATA drives dont give the option of writing DVD's at 4X (if it does PLEASE show me how)

All DVD writers have option to burn disk @4x speed.
Look at any DVD drive. ;)

dude_gamer

Half Life2-Follow Freeman
@OP:
as suggested by d6bmg ,no matter its IDE(PATA) or SATA.
all the DVD Writer has 4x speed burn option.

error in registry may create problem like this.
so, try to fix registry by using Ccleaner and Uninstall DVD Writer:

Steps:
Right click on my computer -> properties ->Hardware Tab -> Device manager
find your DVD Writer which is not working.
right click on it & select uninstall.
Restart your PC.
now try to write CD/DVD & post back result here.

OP
L

legendster

My dear Brothers in Arms, dont you think after 16 years of computer I'd have this much of decency of trying these methods already ??

@hirenjp Its not registry error I already tried the Uninstall and re install job I even renamed cdrom.sys file and had windows download a new one.. but the problem still persists !

Oh @D6BMG if you think I m a goofer who spent 1600 bucks buying an extra DVD writer without checking if SATA's give me option of burning at 4x then you have gravely mistaken my level of silliness (trust me its not that bad) !!!!

I tried with 2 OTHER new sealed box of SATA writers and NERO does NOT gives me the option of writing at 4x however it did on 2 other older PATA writers.
And this experiment was done in a showroom (my relative's) on a computer that is not related to my computer by any means !! So I suggest you to go home and send me a screenshot of your SATA drive allowing you to write at 4x Write Speed !! PLEASE it'll save me the pain !

OP
L

legendster

I even downloaded Microsoft's CD/DVD Fixit and reset the uper and lower limits in the registry !

Top Bottom