SCSI Vs SATA

Status
Not open for further replies.

mohanty1942

Journeyman
The data transfer rate of IDE (PATA) interface is 133 Mbps max.

The data transfer rate of SATA interface is 150 Mbps.

(i) What is the data Transfer rate of a SCSI harddisk ?

(ii) Do Samsung, Seagate etc manufacture SCSI harddisks ?
If yes pls give model/capacity details.

ganesh8

Broken In
Don't be mislead by transfer rates. These are only burst rates and do not expect to get 150 MBPS all the time on SATA.

What you should look for is the drive buffer and RPM. A 15,000 or 10,000 RPM SCSI drive is anyday faster than a 7,200 RPM SATA. Also SCSI drive will require a SCSI card to be installed (unless you have a Server motherboard which has a SCSI on board).

So overall SCSI will be a very expensive affair. If you have money to blow and want nothhing the best, then go for Maxtor Atlas 15k or Seagate Cheetah 15k.3 available in 36GB or 74 GB (hogher capacity is very expensive). You can also go for 1 scsi drive for games as C drive and keep a second SATA drive for data storage.

If budget is a constraint, then second choice would be Western Digital's RAPTOR which is a 10,000 RPM SATA drive and is available in 36GB and 74 GB only.

Cheaper than above but good speed would be Hitachi 7k250 (250 GB) with 8MB buffer and 7200 RPM or Western Digital's 250 GB hard disk with 8 MB buffer and 7200 RPM.

OP
mohanty1942

mohanty1942

Journeyman
What is the bufer for Samsung's 80 GB , 7200 RPM SATA drive ?
It costs Rs 3000.

Can I have a better option (more performance at this price or same performance at less price) ?

vinay

Broken In
mohanty1942 said:
What is the bufer for Samsung's 80 GB , 7200 RPM SATA drive ?
It costs Rs 3000.

Can I have a better option (more performance at this price or same performance at less price) ?

I am not sure think its only 2Mb

G

gxsaurav

SCSI is not for home, the cost a lot, a 80 GB SCSI here in Lucknow costs 16k, from seagate

amitsaudy

Ambassador of Buzz
Yeah
SATA is more than enough for pcs.
SCSI s better suited for the server segment.
But if u can afford it n ur system has the support
then why not?

quad master

In the zone
Well i will say that if u want speed solutions for Home PC Sata is more than enough.

I recommend SCSI only for server usage where it has to handle a lot
of I/O requests at a time and this is the place where scsi is to be put
to use not for Home PC.

If you are still not satisfied with the SATA Speed Try Connecting 2 SATA
HDDs same capacity and brand in RAID 0 Config With a RAID Controller card that will give you more speed from ur Existing SATA hdd's

striker_1909

Right off the assembly line
whats the diff between sata 1.5 and 3.0 interfaces

i hv seen on internet that these two sata interfaces r available. What is the diff. in performance? Also among samsung and seagate who hv the bigger buffer.

vijay_7287

Cyborg Agent
tht is SATA-1 & SATA-2
SATA-2 is the next generation of SATA-1
and offers almost double burst rates

among samsung & seagate

seagate always

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom