SATA Controller??

Status
Not open for further replies.

3ddjfx

Right off the assembly line
HI, Iam planning to buy Samsung 120 GB Hard Disk with SATA interface. AS my Mobo. is Intel D845WN(intel original) it doesn't hav integrated SATA controller. I need to buy SATA controller PCI Card. Which is the best and cheap controller available in India? I inquired at a shop in Lamington Rd. and he said he had a card from OPTICA (never heard of this brand) and said it was imported and cost around Rs 1500.
DOES THE CONTROLLER AFFECT THE PERFORMANCE OF THE DRIVE??

G

gxsaurav

no need to go for SATA stick with PATA, sata won't give any performance difference in it's first generation

samsam

gxsaurav said:
no need to go for SATA stick with PATA, sata won't give any performance difference in it's first generation

Stick with PATA yes.

But there will be slight performance difference but not worth it right now.

Stick with PATA

indro

In the zone
the performance difference is just in numbers .There is no real difference .Tell you what , if you really want to squeeze something outta sata go for the Western Digital Raptor 10k rpm drives .A samsung 120 gb sata wont do any good , apart from the fact that you dont have to mess around with jumpers and secondary and primary settings :) , its worthy or not ... its upto you !

Naga

Broken In
gxsaurav said:
SATA will give a performance increase that is well worth the 1000 or so bucks being asked for. Keep in mind the higher cache and rotational speeds (8 mb/ 10 k) on the latest SATA drives. Also the serial interface is a lot cleaner than PATA cables. Ergo, cleaner airflow and interface inside ur PC.

G

gxsaurav

Naga said:
gxsaurav said:
SATA will give a performance increase that is well worth the 1000 or so bucks being asked for. Keep in mind the higher cache and rotational speeds (8 mb/ 10 k) on the latest SATA drives. Also the serial interface is a lot cleaner than PATA cables. Ergo, cleaner airflow and interface inside ur PC.

Not quite, in my opinion. 8 MB buffer is also available in PATA, also he is going for a 8 MB buffer 7200 RPM Samsung SATA 1st generation so the only thing different from regular pata is the interface, but a lot of extra money & hassle, so still I would sasy go PATA

blade_runner

Cyborg Agent
Naga said:
gxsaurav said:

LOL ! you love that word isnt it ?? :lol:

parimal

Journeyman
SATA really not showing the performance gain over PATA....SATA is in initial stage....you can expect SATA after 1-2 years. Yeah....guys giving you right advise....stick to PATA.

OP

3ddjfx

WHICH CONTROLLER TO BUY??

OK Even if I stick with PATA, I need to buy a controller card as my both IDE Channels are full. Which one to go for ? should be cheap and decent performing

Naga

Broken In
blade_runner said:
Naga said:
gxsaurav said:

LOL ! you love that word isnt it ?? :lol:
What can I say? Is it the Matrix?? :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom