SABAYON..no auto GRUB

Status
Not open for further replies.

caleb

Ambassador of Buzz
I read in several of the Linux forums that "Sabaon" linux is the so called "offical" Beryl supporting linux...so I downloaded & burned the ISO image to a DVD.

When I tried it as a Live CD everything went fine and even the installation to my PC after that was also successful but when it restarted I did not get grub automatically...what I mean is that I get a black screen and it says GRUB

So obviously it is asking me to issue some commads but what command do I need to issue...coz I couldn't log back into windows so I had uninstall Sabayon and reinstall Open Suse 10.2 to get back GRUB to boot into my Windows XP.

But I plan to install Sabayon again & use it so if the next time I get the same screen what command do I issue?

mediator

Technomancer
rootnoverify (hd0,0)
chainloader +1
Try this to boot into windows

Well I wud advise to stick to one distro. Don't keep experimenting. Every other distro will amaze u! So just install one and make it complete! Having beryl is not an issue. U can install it easily even if a particular distro doesn't have it!

OP
caleb

caleb

Ambassador of Buzz
mediator said:
Try this to boot into windows

Well I wud advise to stick to one distro. Don't keep experimenting. Every other distro will amaze u! So just install one and make it complete! Having beryl is not an issue. U can install it easily even if a particular distro doesn't have it!
Thanks, I'll try. But I find it difficult to stick to one distro bcoz every month there is a new one popping up, (like you said) to "amaze u".

Also linux on the whole is experimented by the community so much that you always feel the next one is better... Maybe, just maybe, that is one of the major draw of backs of linux from reaching the masses i.e. too many distro's to choose from, making a newbie utterly confused.

I'll try to curb my "greedy instincts"...having said that I feel comfortable the most with Open Suse 10.2

mediator

Technomancer
Yea, I agree! You know, I'm on Fedora 5 still (without updates or any crashes or any difficulty) though Fedora 7 is on its way now. I wudn't have upgraded to FC5 3 months back if my hdd wudn't have crashed!

U can just upgrade the softwares simply or install new ones. I seriously don't like much of graphic effects coz they make u sit at ur pc, stare at it and keep on configuring it. Its like a girl trying to dress her doll in the most fashionable way.

So just install one, explore it and get used to it! And once u get used to something then u have no problem in learning what all it offers.

I have never tried exploring all the different distros even wen I was a newbie. I just installed 2-3 distros and then realised that all of them r basically the same and I'm just wasting my time in installing them.

I feel ur PC shud be ready for use anytime. So incase u like to experiment with diff. distros then try it out on VMWARE. These days I'm currently trying Beleni X live cd and PC-BSD (on VMware) without any intention of leaving Fedora.

OP
caleb

caleb

Ambassador of Buzz
mediator said:
I seriously don't like much of graphic effects coz they make u sit at ur pc, stare at it and keep on configuring it. Its like a girl trying to dress her doll in the most fashionable way.
Ha ha ha...it is true, but it exciting nonetheless. I'm too excited about all the possibilites in Linux everyday I'm learning a little bit more...so I guess once I'm a few months old into Linux and make some mistakes than I'll probably learn my lesson.

Hey but thanks for you help & advice. Rep'd you for it.

One question though what do these commands "rootnoverify (hd0,0)" & "chainloader +1" mean?

mediator

Technomancer
rootnoverify (hd0,0)
rootnoverify tells GRUB to boot from the Windows partition, but not to attempt to mount it.
(hd0,0) is where Windows XP puts the boot.ini to boot into Windows 98 and XP.

chainloader +1
chain-load is the mechanism for loading unsupported operating systems by loading another boot loader. It is typically used for loading DOS or Windows.
chainloader tells GRUB to chain to Windows' boot loader which will start Windows.

Read this!

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
caleb said:
TMaybe, just maybe, that is one of the major draw of backs of linux from reaching the masses i.e. too many distro's to choose from, making a newbie utterly confused.
Nope it's the strenght of linux. In fact that's the reason why many people like it. More distros more choices. If there was just one distro then it wouldn't be so much fun.
Let's see from a newbie's point of view, he'd like something that's easy to use, so he has FC which is totally cutting edge, mandriva which provides some non-OSS drivers and such to make hardware work, suse which provides nice eye candy and lots of software out of the box, ubuntu which is very minimalistic so he doesn't have to make too much choice between which one to use.
Then, look at more advanced users, they'd like more control over their system, so they'll prefer something like Debian, with it's solid background and admin friendly tools.
There are people who like to mess around with the internals of their OS and customise it to their liking, they'll go for slackware, arch.
Then there's people who like complete control over what goes into their distro so they'd prefer something like gentoo.
But, it could happen that the above persons won't like to waste too much time on installing/compiling too much stuff, so they'd rather go for sabayon which is derived from gentoo.
Then there are hobbyist geek's who'd like to totally explore on thier own with no strings attached, they'll try out LFS.
This is just some general classification. Of course even a new user can just pick up slackware and start messing around with it. The learning curve will be higher then but what he'll learn will be way greater than what someone using just GUI will do.

OP
caleb

caleb

Ambassador of Buzz
tech_your_future said:
Nope it's the strenght of linux. In fact that's the reason why many people like it. More distros more choices. If there was just one distro then it wouldn't be so much fun.
Let's see from a newbie's point of view, he'd like something that's easy to use, so he has FC which is totally cutting edge, mandriva which provides some non-OSS drivers and such to make hardware work, suse which provides nice eye candy and lots of software out of the box, ubuntu which is very minimalistic so he doesn't have to make too much choice between which one to use.
Then, look at more advanced users, they'd like more control over their system, so they'll prefer something like Debian, with it's solid background and admin friendly tools.
There are people who like to mess around with the internals of their OS and customise it to their liking, they'll go for slackware, arch.
Then there's people who like complete control over what goes into their distro so they'd prefer something like gentoo.
But, it could happen that the above persons won't like to waste too much time on installing/compiling too much stuff, so they'd rather go for sabayon which is derived from gentoo.
Then there are hobbyist geek's who'd like to totally explore on thier own with no strings attached, they'll try out LFS.
This is just some general classification. Of course even a new user can just pick up slackware and start messing around with it. The learning curve will be higher then but what he'll learn will be way greater than what someone using just GUI will do.
Agreed but u r saying bcoz of ur vast experiance in linux and if may say so u must have acquired it thru trial & error but a newbie would not know that...about a month or 2 ago I was in that situation now I'm learning slowly everyday.

mediator

Technomancer
I agree, too many distros means confusion, but it also means that u can have the best pick. Its the problem of plenty where u can't decide which one to pick from among the collection of sexy woodland shoes. Guess I was lucky then to have chosen Fedora.

Neways I think u shud try only 2-3 popular/leading distros and make ur decision.

hailgautam

Youngling
totally agree with mehul, but want to add one more category that is those people who want to be politically correct don't want to use linux for anything more than to avoid the stigma of piracy attached with the windows.

Last edited:

praka123

left this forum longback
@hailgautam:nyways U can be proud that you are not a pirate by using GNU/Linux and Open SOurce Softwares....
the Biggest Satsifaction that is:eek:

OP
caleb

caleb

Ambassador of Buzz
hailgautam said:
totally agree with mehul, but want to add one more category that is those people who want to be politically correct don't want to use linux for anything more than to avoid the stigma of piracy attached with the windows.
When I download some repositories in linux it gives a warning msg saying that using this program could be illegal in ur country...so how can one be sure that the repositories I'm dowloading/using is leagal in India?

hailgautam

Youngling
@caleb

Any software that is registered in India with the Board of Copyright alone would fall under that category. I don't think many of the software that you use are registered in India with the copyright act. As they are not officially released in india. Therefore you can be at the peace that you are not violating any law. Refer to a post on Copyright on Computer Software in the random news section that I had posted.

Infact using those so called cracked software also wouldn't mean that you are doing something illegal as long as it is not registered in India (forget about those times when you hated it for the bumpy ride on the road, now you can say "Mera Bharat Mahan" :D ).

Most of the big company products like those of MS, Adobe etal which are being marketed in India would be covered by Copyright Act.

By the way - you would have read that such and such products are covered under such and such law of us and other countries. You can safely tell them - if it is not registered in india - go f*** yourself in such and such places. ;-)

Last edited:

subratabera

Just another linux lover.
hailgautam said:
@caleb

Any software that is registered in India with the Board of Copyright alone would fall under that category. I don't think many of the software that you use are registered in India with the copyright act. As they are not officially released in india. Therefore you can be at the peace that you are not violating any law. Refer to a post on Copyright on Computer Software in the random news section that I had posted.

Infact using those so called cracked software also wouldn't mean that you are doing something illegal as long as it is not registered in India.

Most of the big company products like those of MS, Adobe etal which are being marketed in India would be covered by Copyright Act.

By the way - you would have read that such and such products are covered under such and such law of us and other countries. You can safely tell them - if it is not registered in india - go f*** yourself in such and such places. ;-)
Interesting...

(forget about those times when you hated it for the bumpy ride on the road, now you can say "Mera Bharat Mahan" :D ).
True...:D:D:D

OP
caleb

caleb

Ambassador of Buzz
hailgautam said:
@caleb

Infact using those so called cracked software also wouldn't mean that you are doing something illegal as long as it is not registered in India (forget about those times when you hated it for the bumpy ride on the road, now you can say "Mera Bharat Mahan" :D ).

Very interesting...thanks for the reply. Rep'd u for the "Copyright on Computer Software" post.

freebird

Debian Rocks!
but what if one day they(any of those small companies) register in India?Do they SUe cracked s/w user for earlier offending?

hailgautam

Youngling
Well using a pirated software is not a cognizable offense......the owner of the software has to file a civil suit on you...

Cognizable: dictionary meaning is "knowable: capable of being known " that means some the police will not take action suo motu

Suo Motu: In case you are not aware means "on their own" its a Latin term.

So if at all you have to (or wishing to) be in soup (or shuold I say gobar)...... the copyright owner has to file a civil suit on you. In civil suit you will never go to jail, may be some damages. Further thanks to 'mera baharat ka mahan" judicial system, the cost of the civil suit will be more than ten times the cost of the software plus by the time you will see the end of the case you will be a "dada" or "nana"- Depending on who is fighting for you.

So the small company having inexpensive software, which is not even bothered about Indian market...since that is the reason it has not registered the copyright here- will never bother about the petty and insignificant user like you.

But it is not like that they won't take the action; they will try to nab the person who is circulating the pirated software....which is quite inexpensive for them, they will take the burai ko jad se katenge approach. However fortunately or unfortunately they are not able to do bal bi baka of burai ki jad i.e are the torrents and the p2p.

If i am not wrong there was a joke circulating in the chit chat section about the answers that the Bit-torrent guys were giving to those BIG US BASED MULTINATIONAL corporations and making utter fun of them.

Baki you imagine........

Having said all these encouraging words about using pirated software, I have 2 points to make.

1. I am no thief, nor want to be.....so will not use a pirated software.....there is something called self esteem also, apart from aging Maruti Esteem.

2. Specifically in relation to using - OSS software - I will not take law into my hands......I will not judge whether the copyright on the software is being infringed or not. I am not at fault, as I am not the person infringing the copyright. The person who is supplying the software is one, who is doing an illegal act....if at all it is illegal. Since I have no prior knowledge of whether the software I am using is legal or otherwise I shall continue to use it. I am clean. Indian Copyright Act provides for it. Once again if it not overly repetitive "Mera Bharat Mahan"

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom