Sabayon Linux giving Headache

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cool G5

Conversation Architect
I installed Sabayon Linux 4.2 KDE on my friend's pc. The edition I installed was for AMD CPU's & was 64 Bit one.
The specs of my friend's PC are;

AMD Phenom II X2 550 B.E
Biostar A785GE Motherboard
Onboard ATI HD 4200 Graphic Chip
4 GB DDR 2 RAM
Creative 5.1 Inspire Speakers

He is facing the following problems.

1) Upon booting & also while installing the following error was displayed at the bottom right corner of the screen.

*img98.imageshack.us/img98/6851/sabayonhardwareunsuppor.th.jpg

Is the AMD CPU incompatible with the Sabayon 4.2? But I am sure I downloaded the version for AMD CPU's & 64 bit which didn't boot on my laptop having C2D processor.

2) Even with four virtual desktops enabled I can see only one desktop button in the desktop switcher appler near the K menu. Though under the applet settings it shows four desktops enabled. Even flipping the desktops under compiz by CTRL+ALT+Arrow Keys shows only the first desktop but not the second, third or the fourth.

3) We booted in the Fluxbox desktop environment & tried running different programs but none of the programs ran except Mozilla Firefox & Amarok.

4) Ati drivers were already installed & enabled under Sabayon Linux on install. Compiz works fine but whenever I open any semi HD videos or even .mp4 videos having QVGA resolution they lag heavily while playing.

5) How to enable 5.1 channel sound under Sabayon. As of now only the left & right channels work. The system reports that some onboard sound chip has no drivers or has failed.

Please help us guys.

j1n M@tt

Cyborg Agent
ATI/AMD chipset and the ATI grfx card are the culprits. The ATI Catalyst hav serious compatibility issues with many linux distros. Ubuntu 9.04 is not even booting after installing Catalyst 9.7 for HD4850.

Try installing a different version. Also install the latest version of ALSA, it has support for Creative audigy and ATI on-board sound.

OP
Cool G5

Cool G5

Conversation Architect
Installed Sabayon after trying out Fedora 11 which used to freeze upon installing Ati Catalyst Drivers.

OP
Cool G5

Cool G5

Conversation Architect
Update:

Virtual Desktop problem solved.

Thanks for the link j1nM@tt, will try it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom