Ryzen Gaming Rig plus blazing productivity speeds : 60K

sam9s

The High 5 Flyer
What is the purpose of the computer? What all applications and games are you going to run? (Stupid answers like 'gaming' or 'office work' will not work. Be exact. Which games? Which applications? Avoid the word 'et cetera.')

Ans: Gaming 1080p Ultra settings 24" or 22" monitor, and LOTS of general productivity with as much speed I can get under the given budget

2. What is your overall budget? If you can extend a bit for a more balanced configuration, then mention this too.

Ans: 60K cannot stretch

3. Planning to overclock?

Ans: no

4. Which Operating System are you planning to use?

Ans: W10

5. How much hard drive space is needed?

Ans: 256GB M.2 NVMe (Samsung 970 EVO) for OS and apps + 128GB SSD for games (will not install more than 2 games at one point of time)

6. Do you want to buy a monitor? If yes, please mention which screen size and resolution do you want. If you already have a monitor and want to reuse it, again mention the size and resolution of monitor you have.

Ans: yes 24" 22 will also work 1080p good response time the given budget will allow

7. Which components you DON'T want to buy or which components you already have and plan on reusing?

Ans: This is a complete fresh built. Dont need SATA HDD , I have everything on my NAS 10 TB

8. When are you planning to buy the system?

Ans: ASAP

9. Have you ever built a desktop before or will this be done by an assembler?

Ans: like tons of time, Building since 1998.. ... I am a professional. The only reason I am filling and asking here on this forum is out of curiosity what people will suggest for the budget I have given and points I have shared

10. Where do you live? Are you buying locally? Are you open to buying stuff from online shops if you don't get locally?

Ans: Locally NP Delhi

11. Anything else which you would like to say?

Basically Mandatory things I need are ...

1. Min Ryzen 1600 (x if possible),
2. Min 8GB Ram (will upgrade later)
3. M.2 NVMe 32GBps Gen 3 x4. (So mobo should support it)

rest all can be anything to be fit under 60K

Last edited:

nac

Aspiring Novelist
I don't think all these will be fit under 60k.
My rough estimation goes over 75k. Given the total budget, Ryzen 2600 is not far away. Since you're not gonna overclock, you will get better XFR/PBO performance from second generation and I think that this 2-3k price difference is worth it.

OP
sam9s

sam9s

The High 5 Flyer
ok .. let's hear it ..let see what you have to offer for say 75. Also if you have to cut down on something, to bring the budget to 65K say, what would you do

nac

Aspiring Novelist
Ryzen 1600/2600 13K/15.5K
B450 TUF Plus Gaming/Aorus Elite/Gaming Plus ~9.5K |You can save about 1k if you opt for mATX board
Corsari vengeance DDR4 8GB 3000mhz - 5.8K
GTX 1060 6GB/RX 580 8GB - ~23K
Cabinet of your choice - 3K
Antec NE550M 550W/Corsair CX450 ~ 4K
Samsung 970EVO 250GB - 9K | I would drop this for now
Adata or Kingston 120GB - 2k | Instead would go for Samsung 860 EVO 250GB - 4.5k
Asus VP228H - 9K | If you want IPS, you can get it for few hundreds more but wouldn't get quicker response.
Logitech KB & Mouse combo 1K

It costs about 80k. Even if you drop NVMe and go for 860 EVO 250G and opt for mATX, it will still cost over 70k. If you relax your criteria 1080p ultra to mid or low setting, you can bring it down under 65k by opting for 1050Ti.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Don't get any asus/gigabyte mobo for ryzen for now.Drop NVMe because its main advantage is in heavy IOPS workload which a normal/gaming system will never encounter.Better buy two samsung 860 evo 250gb for 4200 each(500gb 860evo is costing more). Get antec earthwatts gold pro psu.

Ryzen 2600--16800(primeabgb)
msi b450 gaming plus--10300(primeabgb)
corsair 8gb 3000mhz--6000
Antec EARTHWATTS GOLD PRO 550W--5650(primeabgb)
corsair spec 01--3k(amazon)
monitor--9k
1060 6gb--24k
kb mouse--1k

I suggest not to go below this even if it means waiting a bit to save more,you don't want to second guess your choices for a 60-70k system after few months/year.OC on ryzen is easy so even if you don't want it now,don't get this option blocked for future by buying an inferior mobo.There is no good mobo below 8k except asrock AB350/X370(both currently out of stock at mdcomputers & vedant) which can do reliable OC for ryzen 1600/2600 etc without getting too much heated VRMs.Currently only mobo for ryzen worth buying are msi & asrock especially below 15k budget.Asus crosshair series is very good but then it costs above 20k & forget about gigabyte for now as far as ryzen is concerned(unless it is a quad core ryzen & you won't be OCing it except for maybe few hours 2-3 times in a week).

OP
sam9s

sam9s

The High 5 Flyer
Ok A question ... and few things I woudl like to add.

This machine will also be used for Heavy Productivity like BR ripping, Virtualization etc (RAM will be added later for that), so gaming is not like the topmost priority here, hence not interested in a 23K card. I have to balance it. So my belief is Processor can be one notch less, but storage needs to be as fast as possible, coz for a blazing fast experience storage is the only bottleneck as always,

I can game @ Very High setting as well instead of Ultra on 22" monitor 1080p. But I want blazing speeds when it comes to productivity. So the MDQ comes ....... why cannt I do away with something like GTX1050Ti or RX 470 (which is even better than 1050). And a motherboard like ASUS EX 320-M or Gigabyte GA A320M.

Let assume I will not OC, its not about ease. I have OC my C2D 6300 @ 3.2Ghz, which has a base clock @ 1.6 Ghz. Its just that I don't find the need to OC these days, its already at 3.2 Ghz and you can stretch it to what 4Ghz max in stock air cooling.............does not make much sense. Ocing from 1.6 to 3.2 made a lot of sense but not this. IMHO.. :)

So something like ..

1. Ryzen 1600 ...14-15K
2. Any good mobo <= 6000
3. RAM corsair 8GB ... 6K
4. GPU RX470 ...14-15K
5. PSU ..450W corsair ...3K

bring me close to 65K ....with NVMe ofcourse ..

What seems to be potentially wrong in the above config? Assuming I do get a decent non OCing Mobo for 6000

Need to understand.

quicky008

Technomancer
i don't think you'll be able to find any new RX 470 for sale anywhere for 14-15k,they are almost universally out of stock.

However if you don't mind buying used,you can get some really good deals on used rx 570s for around 10-12k-only today i spotted a 1 yr old rx 570 for sale for just Rs 11k in a local FB group dealing in used pc peripherals.A few days back some guy was selling his few months old 1060 3gb for only 10k!

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
@sam9s The thing is you are focusing on heavy productivity aka multi threaded use & ryzen can have significant boost when OCed in such apps matching a higher tiered & highly overpriced intel processor which is saying something.Also even if you don't overclock I can tell you that VRMs on any A320 mobo are of poor quality & forget about OC(which is not possible on A320 anyway),just running your processor at 80-90% usage all the time(highly likely with your usage) will result in thermal throttling of processor because of the inability of VRMs to cope with increased power demand & consequently very high temps.

To put it simply even running a 2600(& above) processor at stock speeds but with heavy load majority of the time requires a B450 mobo with good VRMs & cheapest such mobo already cost ~8k(asrock ones & currently out of stock).

As for storage again neither encoding(processor here is the main factor) nor virtualisation(again processor & ram are the most important factors) will gain significant boost from using NVMe unless you run a very large database/server like workload inside VMs.Check this link & see if any of the 6 reasons for using NVMe appliy to you because I don't see any typical system having any of these 6 reasons:
6 Reasons to Consider NVMe
Of course if you have the money then no harm in getting NVMe anyway but here you don't have the extra money & hence the decision to make.

Same with psu,minimum goo budget option nowadays is corsair latest CXx5x series but they are currently out of stock everywhere online.You can run your config with a 3k 550w psu but just keep in mind that doing this will be relying on your luck & best case you will experience some shutdown/reboot issues a few months/year later but worst case you will lose your mobo/processor during a psu failure.

OP
sam9s

sam9s

The High 5 Flyer
i don't think you'll be able to find any new RX 470 for sale anywhere for 14-15k,they are almost universally out of stock.

However if you don't mind buying used,you can get some really good deals on used rx 570s for around 10-12k-only today i spotted a 1 yr old rx 570 for sale for just Rs 11k in a local FB group dealing in used pc peripherals.A few days back some guy was selling his few months old 1060 3gb for only 10k!

But if I do get .....do u think its worth ,,,and good for 1080p gaming on 22-24" monitor ...
I see one sapphire RX470 MINING Edition for 15K ..... is this something different, (Mining Edition) coz I see no videos for the same on yourtube benchmarking it on casual gaming ????

Last edited:
OP
sam9s

sam9s

The High 5 Flyer
@sam9s The thing is you are focusing on heavy productivity aka multi threaded use & ryzen can have significant boost when OCed in such apps matching a higher tiered & highly overpriced intel processor which is saying something.Also even if you don't overclock I can tell you that VRMs on any A320 mobo are of poor quality & forget about OC(which is not possible on A320 anyway),just running your processor at 80-90% usage all the time(highly likely with your usage) will result in thermal throttling of processor because of the inability of VRMs to cope with increased power demand & consequently very high temps.

To put it simply even running a 2600(& above) processor at stock speeds but with heavy load majority of the time requires a B450 mobo with good VRMs & cheapest such mobo already cost ~8k(asrock ones & currently out of stock).

As for storage again neither encoding(processor here is the main factor) nor virtualisation(again processor & ram are the most important factors) will gain significant boost from using NVMe unless you run a very large database/server like workload inside VMs.Check this link & see if any of the 6 reasons for using NVMe appliy to you because I don't see any typical system having any of these 6 reasons:
6 Reasons to Consider NVMe
Of course if you have the money then no harm in getting NVMe anyway but here you don't have the extra money & hence the decision to make.

Same with psu,minimum goo budget option nowadays is corsair latest CXx5x series but they are currently out of stock everywhere online.You can run your config with a 3k 550w psu but just keep in mind that doing this will be relying on your luck & best case you will experience some shutdown/reboot issues a few months/year later but worst case you will lose your mobo/processor during a psu failure.

Agree on the VRM part ....... ok so let increase the budget to 8K for the mobo, what will you suggest best non OCing mobo for 8K-10K . Coming to encoding, agreed the actual encoding time will not matter with NVMe, but the loading of everything from the apps to videos to cut scenes to everything depends on storage. Faster storage just makes the entire system feel very snappy. Same with Virtualization, loading of VM workstation and loading (Booting) multiple machines is PITA, That's where NVMe will shine. I know coz I was the early adopters of SSD when they were launched, when I assembled my i7, (Checkout my SandyBridge i7) coz of the "same" reason I am adopting NVMe (maybe not as early adopters as I was with SSD) but still .. :)

Yes I again agree with PSU. I think I should manage to get CX in NP Delhi. ....But Quicky008 was right RX470 seems out of stock ..... everywhere. But I saw one MINING edition for the same card, wonder if its the same consumer card I can use or something else .....

Thanks for you all your suggestions ....

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Agree on the VRM part ....... ok so let increase the budget to 8K for the mobo, what will you suggest best non OCing mobo for 8K-10K . Coming to encoding, agreed the actual encoding time will not matter with NVMe, but the loading of everything from the apps to videos to cut scenes to everything depends on storage. Faster storage just makes the entire system feel very snappy. Same with Virtualization, loading of VM workstation and loading (Booting) multiple machines is PITA, That's where NVMe will shine. I know coz I was the early adopters of SSD when they were launched, when I assembled my i7, (Checkout my SandyBridge i7) coz of the "same" reason I am adopting NVMe (maybe not as early adopters as I was with SSD) but still .. :)

Yes I again agree with PSU. I think I should manage to get CX in NP Delhi. ....But Quicky008 was right RX470 seems out of stock ..... everywhere. But I saw one MINING edition for the same card, wonder if its the same consumer card I can use or something else .....

Thanks for you all your suggestions ....
Already suggested mobo above,msi gaming plus.If asrock B450/X370/AB350(will need bios update but mdcomputers will do it) comes back in stock at mdcomputers or vedant then you can get that also.

As for NVMe here is a comparison:
UserBenchmark: Samsung 860 Evo vs 970 NVMe PCIe M.2
The max advantage of NVMe is in sequential speeds which are not important for OS operations & app launch which mostly depends on random read write speeds.I agree NVMe is faster there too but the thing is do these faster speeds actually translates into noticeable improvement for you.e.g.say you are doing something that requires random write operations of 500mb then with NVMe 140MB/s it will be finished in 3.57sec while with ssd 96MB/s it will be finished in 5.2sec so will you even notice a difference of 1.63sec.Of course if you are sure that your requirements can actually make use of NVMe in a noticeable manner then it is fine but if you just want NVMe then also it is fine.

Forget about getting CXx5x series in NP,just check *www.costtocost.in/list/pricelist.pdf If something is not available/showing ask in this pricelist then 99% of the shops in NP are not going to have that product.

Minion

Conversation Architect
AMD Ryzen 5 1600-12,700
MSI B350M MORTAR-7,900
KINGSTON HYPERX PREDATOR RGB 8GB DDR4 3200MHZ MEMORY HX432C16PB3A/8-6,100
ADATA Ultimate SU650 480GB SSD -6,100(onlyssd.com)
SAPPHIRE PULSE AMD RADEON RX 580 8G GDDR5 GRAPHIC CARD 11265-05-20G-21,000
ANTEC EA550G PRO 550W 80 PLUS GOLD CERTIFICATION SEMI MODULAR PSU-5,600
Corsair SPEC-ALPHA Black-Silver-4,500
Acer KG241Q-10,000

Total:73k(approx.)

OP
sam9s

sam9s

The High 5 Flyer
Already suggested mobo above,msi gaming plus.If asrock B450/X370/AB350(will need bios update but mdcomputers will do it) comes back in stock at mdcomputers or vedant then you can get that also.

As for NVMe here is a comparison:
UserBenchmark: Samsung 860 Evo vs 970 NVMe PCIe M.2
The max advantage of NVMe is in sequential speeds which are not important for OS operations & app launch which mostly depends on random read write speeds.I agree NVMe is faster there too but the thing is do these faster speeds actually translates into noticeable improvement for you.e.g.say you are doing something that requires random write operations of 500mb then with NVMe 140MB/s it will be finished in 3.57sec while with ssd 96MB/s it will be finished in 5.2sec so will you even notice a difference of 1.63sec.Of course if you are sure that your requirements can actually make use of NVMe in a noticeable manner then it is fine but if you just want NVMe then also it is fine.

Forget about getting CXx5x series in NP,just check *www.costtocost.in/list/pricelist.pdf If something is not available/showing ask in this pricelist then 99% of the shops in NP are not going to have that product.

I was actually comparing with SATA HDD, Iknow not a fair comparison, but I get what you are trying to say here. Difference between SSD and NVMe are not night and day as against to sata and NVMe. Ok let's see ... I can always add that later in coming months when and if the price falls. Let's just get a 120GB SSD for OS and apps, and I have a 1TB laying with me that I can use for games.

Tell me one thing in your opinion, does double the cost of 1060 6 GB over 1050 Ti, justifies it. Reason is I am watching comparison youtube videos and I see 1050 Ti giving 40+ FPS on almost all latest games on ultra high and few games on high 1080p. 1060 obviously doubles that FPS, but given all games looks same after 40fps, I wonder if spending extra on 1060 will matter.

Another question, I dont like gaming on TV, BUT I do love racing games on TV like NFS and the likes .....with an xbox gamepad. My TV is a 4K HDR....So what do you think, gaming on TV on 4K ? does that make a huge difference ..... I am sure 1050ti will not handle 4K resolution. But will 1060 6GB???? and it is absolutely worth spending double for the same????, Given that fact that only handly of games like racing I will play on TV.

And as always ....thanks for all suggestions ...

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
120gb ssd is a good idea but keep in mind one thing,all 120gb ssd are slow compared to 250gb 860evo/similar(of course still much faster than hdd). I am only saying it because you have experience with ssd(assuming good ones like samsung here). My friend was able to get 860 evo for 3.6k from paytmmall during the oct sale & right now 860 evo is available for 4.2k on onlyssd. The prices of ssd will definitely fall in coming months(along with ram). If you do decide to get 120gb then I suggest kingston A400 120gb which is available for 1725 on onlyssd.

I am not a gamer so can't help you much with that. @SaiyanGoku should be able to help you better.I do know that 1060 is not enough for 4k.See also this,maybe you will find some useful info:
gtx 1060 for 4k gaming??

Top Bottom