Ryzen 5 2500u alternative; or is it best in that range?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TechnoHolic

Journeyman
I'm about to buy a laptop mainly for entertainment purposes, all I need is to play FPS games at medium settings (due to budget). My budget is 25-30k. I'm planning to get it during the festive deals on Flipkart/Amazon.
I have shortlisted 2 models listed below..
1.*www.flipkart.com/hp-15q-ryzen-5-quad-core-4-gb-1-tb-hdd-windows-10-home-15q-dy0008au-laptop/p/itmfc62yhwtzhvwf?pid=COMFC62YUV3ZUQEX

2.*www.flipkart.com/acer-aspire-3-ryzen-5-quad-core-4-gb-1-tb-hdd-windows-10-home-a315-41-laptop/p/itmfhjgeqqj9phzf?pid=COMFHJGERTXXSRQJ

I want this as a future proof laptop (availability of service & parts and long term usage; at least 3-4 years)
Any suggestion, recommendation are mostly welcome.

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
New laptops in your budget are barely enough for basic tasks, leave gaming out of it. Try to get a used laptop with GTX 1050Ti or 1060 instead.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Forget playing games on Ryzen 3,even ryzen 5 2500u(3500u integrated RX vega Graphics 8 is clocked 100MHz higher so a little faster & processor itself is also a bit faster than 2500u) can barely suffice for games at low settings. AMD Radeon RX Vega 8 GPU - Benchmarks and Specs

Also if you are looking for long term usage(3 years+) then extended warranty is must before anything else.Prefer a laptop with which you can buy at least 1 year extra extended warranty at reasonable rates(e.g.asus promo gives 1 year extra warranty for Rs.99 & 2 years extra warranty for Rs.999 over & above the standard 1 year warranty so you can effectively get 3 years warranty by just paying 999).

I'm about to buy a laptop mainly for entertainment purposes, all I need is to play FPS games at medium settings (due to budget). My budget is 25-30k. I'm planning to get it during the festive deals on Flipkart/Amazon.
I have shortlisted 2 models listed below..
1.*www.flipkart.com/hp-15q-ryzen-5-quad-core-4-gb-1-tb-hdd-windows-10-home-15q-dy0008au-laptop/p/itmfc62yhwtzhvwf?pid=COMFC62YUV3ZUQEX

2.*www.flipkart.com/acer-aspire-3-ryzen-5-quad-core-4-gb-1-tb-hdd-windows-10-home-a315-41-laptop/p/itmfhjgeqqj9phzf?pid=COMFHJGERTXXSRQJ

I want this as a future proof laptop (availability of service & parts and long term usage; at least 3-4 years)
Any suggestion, recommendation are mostly welcome.
R5 2500U is your best bet, unless you go looking for used ones. I'm surprised that they are priced under 30k. Don't expect even 720p med gaming for games released in last 3-4 years (unless light games like FIFA). It's not meant for proper gaming nor is it futureproof but is your best bet. I think the iGPU performs similar to MX130, so inferior to MX150 as well. You need to spend like 58k for a proper gaming laptop with GTX 1650.

Get Acer Aspire 3 as it has a 1080p display & should have a M.2 slot as well. The iGPU uses your RAM, so add another 8GB RAM stick. Also, add a 120GB M.2 SSD later & clone OS to it. SSDs make the whole laptop more responsive, games installed on SSD loads faster, but at your budget, it's better to just get an SSD for OS+apps.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
I agree with points a, b and d but rest are pure BS. For point c, they might even recommend you to not play any games on >1050 GPU because it heats to 70° C. :facepalm:
Actually that is just standard legal talk to close any loophole.I think all these points(except last point mentioning to add only acer certified ram/hdd) are also there in other laptop brands warranty T&C in India.Only thing is that other laptop manufacturers don't put so many stickers both outside & inside the laptop so practically this "warranty void sticker" point is not valid for other brands.

P.S. e.g. someone might buy 3-4 laptops to use for mining/server like work with 24*7 usage with almost 100% processor & disk usage & then claim warranty for all of them & this point of "not using laptop in recommended ways" can be used to reject claim.I know this is very unlikely scenario but that is what legal dept is for(aka to consider those unlikely scenarios).

OP
TechnoHolic

TechnoHolic

Journeyman
New laptops in your budget are barely enough for basic tasks, leave gaming out of it. Try to get a used laptop with GTX 1050Ti or 1060 instead.
i dont want to play like you game on your selenite..i know my budget.. i wish to play 2010-2012 titles with medium settings..that would suffice my mind..lyk cod mw2 mw3, black ops, gta 5 in medium settings, medal of honor, Sniper: Ghost Warrior 2 etc..

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Go here & input cpu & graphics(for 2500u/3500u it is vega 8,for processor you can take the equivalent as ryzen 1200).
Grand Theft Auto V System Requirements - System Requirements
Similarly check for other games.

i dont want to play like you game on your selenite..i know my budget.. i wish to play 2010-2012 titles with medium settings..that would suffice my mind..lyk cod mw2 mw3, black ops, gta 5 in medium settings, medal of honor, Sniper: Ghost Warrior 2 etc..
Rough idea, Vega 8 is found in 2500U/3500U vs HD630 of Intel i5/i7:
Computer Games on Laptop Graphics Cards

Since iGPUs are dependent on system RAM, 2x8GB RAM is the optimum RAM setup as you get enough capacity & bandwidth (due to dual channel).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom