Running a Dos program from Windows Vista

Status
Not open for further replies.

Huzefa

Journeyman
I use Tally 5.4 for storing my financial data, as everyone knows it runs on DOS and was working perfectly until two days back,
Now, whenever I try to use it, it starts and then hangs up, when I click on the program window, Vista reports an error, that NTVDM.EXE has stopped working and I click on close the program...
I dont know what made it stop working, when it was fine just a day earlier...
I need this program to run, as it contains my critical financial data, which I immediately need...
I have checked everything as far as I could... and the DOS window opens up fine without any problems...
Pls help as soon as u can
thankx guys :)

sakumar79

Technomancer
Have you tried running it under DOSBOX? DOSBOX is a DOS emulator. It is a free download at *www.dosbox.com/

Arun

OP
H

Huzefa

Journeyman
thnkx for ur reply... but never tried it... but the point is tally was working fine b4 n I wasnt using this dosbox s/w... n now why isnt it working ?

OP
H

Huzefa

Journeyman
I set the compatibility to win95 in vista... and its working now
the funny n curious thing is why was it working upto now ? I never adjusted the compatibility at all b4 today... n yet was working fine... pls anwser this Q of mine guys, so tht I know how to prevent the next time this happens n I dont have access to the net... thnkx again

P

paroh

As sakumar79 all ready said use dos box and it work fine

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
H

Huzefa

Journeyman
though dosbox is a nice option, it dosent explain why this occured in the first place...
and this version of tally seems to run on a windows platform, yet is a dos program and refuses to run in the dos box...
thnkx for the info arun :)

OP
H

Huzefa

Journeyman
though dosbox is a nice option, it dosent explain why this occured in the first place...
and this version of tally seems to run on a windows platform, yet is a dos program and refuses to run in the dos box...
thnkx for the info arun :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom