Rugged android one, Android Q phone suggestions

cute.bandar

Cyborg Agent
Budget < 8-9k . Can stretch if required
Features: Atleast HD+ , Any brand , Camera doesn't matter, Normal 4G , Uses: music, audio, internet, youtube

Primary requirements :
- Must be getting Android Q. Earlier the better.
- Android one is highly desirable, but not necessary if the phone has reliable software support.
- The new Google assistant button is also highly desirable. One of my pet peeves was how hard it was to launch the assistant. The assistant button solves it.
- Must be Rugged. My current cheap phone is slow but built like a tank! Too used to it falling all the time.

Considering: nokia 4.2 : Seems ideal except a tad expensive, doesn't seem rugged, only 720p

Ty

Last edited:
OP
cute.bandar

cute.bandar

Cyborg Agent
I ended up with Nokia 6.1 . Extremely pleased with the device! :)
In budget @ Rs 7000
Is fairly rugged. Can feel the solid build quality. Nokia page also claims its built like a tank. Accidentally poured a lot of water on the first freakin day!, which it survived easily. Youtube water test show great results for water tests. Drops may not be so great .
Is android one. guaranteed to get Q. May not get further updates after that though, unlike nokia 4.2.
Screen is fabulous FULLHD
Very snappy. Faster than 4.2 according to benchs
Finger print sensor works like a dream. I added one finger twice so all parts of finger are covered. Google assistant, google lens rock!
Screen is fantastic smooth and probably scratch resistent, works silky smooth, responds to the most delicate touch.

Edit: battery is also nice, atleast at low usage. My battery lasted 3 days at my low usage, AFTER I turned off lots of background services like location.

Last edited:

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
I ended up with Nokia 6.1 . Extremely pleased with the device! :)
In budget @ Rs 7000
Is fairly rugged. Can feel the solid build quality. Nokia page also claims its built like a tank. Accidentally poured a lot of water on the first freakin day!, which it survived easily. Youtube water test show great results for water tests. Drops may not be so great .
Is android one. guaranteed to get Q. May not get further updates after that though, unlike nokia 4.2.
Screen is fabulous FULLHD
Very snappy. Faster than 4.2 according to benchs
Finger print sensor works like a dream. I added one finger twice so all parts of finger are covered. Google assistant, google lens rock!

Cons: Battery ain't great, maybe barely a day. Can't say as I have been using it for less than day with heavy usage. But my general usage is less so battery will be okay for me.

Which website and why not the 6.1 plus ?

OP
cute.bandar

cute.bandar

Cyborg Agent
flipkart.com - Its 9k right now. When I got it was 7k .
6.1 plus - screen too big and double the price
Nokia 6.1 ( 32 GB ROM, 3 GB RAM ) Online at Best Price On Flipkart.com

Last edited by a moderator:

RageshAntony

In the zone
flipkart.com - Its 9k right now. When I got it was 7k .
6.1 plus - screen too big and double the price

Did you bought this config ?

TheSloth

The Slowest One
One of my friend had Nokia 6.1 and he told me it started to get really slow after 2 months of usage and the touch also was not as quick as it was when the phone was new. He sold the phone within 4 months out of frustration. He bough the phone I guess, 8 months back. So the new batch might have fixed the issue. I would rather go with Nokia 6.1+ cause of good overall feedback from this forum.

OP
cute.bandar

cute.bandar

Cyborg Agent
^ It was probably a bad app that was screwing things up. Can't be a hardware issue if it worked well for 2 months. Bad update/drivers ? maybe..

TheSloth

The Slowest One
^ It was probably a bad app that was screwing things up. Can't be a hardware issue if it worked well for 2 months. Bad update/drivers ? maybe..
That might be a possibility. But that person is quite vigilant about notorious apps so May be Nokia update was culprit. I don't really know. You can update here your thread if you also face similar problems about this phone. Thank you.

OP
cute.bandar

cute.bandar

Cyborg Agent
Its not just about using notorious apps. Everyday normal apps can have issues causing the phone to heat up, slow down, discharge fast etc. Will update if mine slows down.

Last edited:

jackal_79

Get Digit ized
Nokia Yes,zenfone max pro No(even if almost stock android).
Thanks. I was talking about Nokia 6.1 Plus. My G2 is on it's final legs and needed a replacement. I saw a offer for 6.1 Plus (6 GB version for 10,999) and ordered it.Hope it's a good replacement :)

jackal_79

Get Digit ized
Got my 6.1 Plus today. Can anyone suggest a good rugged back cover for it?. I tried googling but getting results for 6.1 instead of 6.1 plus.Also need suggestions for transferring my existing data from my G2 to 6.1 plus. Thanks in advance

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
For transferring apps data you will need root on both phones & I am not sure rooting a new nokia android is a good idea(check comments & warranty terms). For simple things like contacts,call log & msgs there are many apps( *play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.riteshsahu.SMSBackupRestore&hl=en_IN ) For whatsapp there is inbuilt google drive backup & restore.

jackal_79

Get Digit ized
For transferring apps data you will need root on both phones & I am not sure rooting a new nokia android is a good idea(check comments & warranty terms). For simple things like contacts,call log & msgs there are many apps( *play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.riteshsahu.SMSBackupRestore&hl=en_IN ) For whatsapp there is inbuilt google drive backup & restore.
I was mainly asking about transferring my messages, audio, video and images from my old phone to nokia. Is there any app or other means without rooting to do this?

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
If by messages you mean sms then already suggested an app above. For other things simply copy paste them via usb to default folders of new phone. Rooting is required for apps data like some games etc where you will lose the previous stats if fresh installed in new phone.

jackal_79

Get Digit ized
If by messages you mean sms then already suggested an app above. For other things simply copy paste them via usb to default folders of new phone. Rooting is required for apps data like some games etc where you will lose the previous stats if fresh installed in new phone.
Thanks for the help. Was able to transfer all my messages from my old phone.

jackal_79

Get Digit ized
Now that i have been using it for more than a week, i have mixed feelings about 6.1 Plus. I mean i bought it as i wanted to experience a clean android and that has been ok i guess. Being of 6GB RAM and with no unwanted apps phone is fast. But here are somethings i didn't like.

1) Firstly, it supports QC 3.0 charging but the phone comes with a normal charger. I was surprised to find that there are no QC 3.0 capable Nokia chargers even on their websites and i had to buy a Mi Charger.Don't understand this at all.
2) I don't know if it's an android one feature or just this phone, but it's very difficult to understand why they have not given any LED notification option on the phone. It's very irritating i mean, there is no way to know if you have any unread messages or missed calls unless you unlock the phone. There is no LED even when it's charging.
3) It's often the simplest things that matter most i guess. In my previous phones, it was very easy to change my profile to silent like drag down from top the options and change to silent. Here, there is no default profiles and you have to fiddle around volume button to get option to make phone silent.

These are just the few things that came to mind. I don't know what other issues i am going to find. But if anyone has gone through this and found some work arounds please let me know.

Top Bottom