Rough tough and durable tripod around 5K

sujoyp

Grand Master
nice review by [MENTION=322858]CRACING[/MENTION] ....I am using this tripod for last 3 years...just to remind prospective buyers that this tripod can not handle the weight of D7000 easily...I have success only with D7000+35mm but none other then this combo. the head tilts sideways even with D7000+55-200 .

CRACING

Journeyman
nice review by [MENTION=322858]CRACING[/MENTION] ....I am using this tripod for last 3 years...just to remind prospective buyers that this tripod can not handle the weight of D7000 easily...I have success only with D7000+35mm but none other then this combo. the head tilts sideways even with D7000+55-200 .

Yes, I read your post when I was looking for reviews for this tripod but I think you have non CX model right? Max load support of 2 KGs and the head is different then CX model.

Tripode_Espod_203AP_completo.jpg

CX model head is different and has better support then those flip heads (for vertical photography) so I believe the CX head holds the camera well. Also entire design is different and may be quality is better so max load is set to 3.5 KGs. Missing weight hook is one drawback.

Vanguard-Espod-CX-203AP-Aluminium-SDL293600364-1-6f58c.jpg

Anyway, this tripod is only good for entry-level and upper entry-level DSLR cameras. i.e Camera bodies that don't have builtin motor. And should be careful if used with telephoto lenses.

Last edited:

CRACING

Journeyman
I have exactly the same tripod my friend :)

Oh ok. I think the problem could be, two adjustment knobs can only be turned from 0 to 90 degrees for tightening and loosening. This should be fine for some time but later it gets lose and there is no chance to over tight them except tilt adjustment handle. So when heavy weight is attached, these knobs gets stressed, make dent inside surface and the head starts to creep.

So yes, I agree with you. This tripod is not made for rough and heavy usage. May serve for long time if used handled carefully.

sujoyp

Grand Master
you are absolutely correct...the knob have become loose..and i can not overtight it ... anyways I dont use tripod much.
my Benro A29T+Manfrotto M234RC monopod is soo much more strudy...i got it for birding. the head is made of completely metal..load capacity is 8kg

CRACING

Journeyman
you are absolutely correct...the knob have become loose..and i can not overtight it ... anyways I dont use tripod much.
my Benro A29T+Manfrotto M234RC monopod is soo much more strudy...i got it for birding. the head is made of completely metal..load capacity is 8kg

I see.

For me, I don't know how much a monopod helps but I take shots in low light with remote or self timer so tripod is the one for me. For birding I do handheld but of course it doesn't give me tack sharp images and I don't have long range lenses either. I will spend on monopod later if its gonna help me.

Btw; how low would you go on shutter speed when handheld? Or do you follow rule of thumb that is shutter speed = focal length?

I have few more queries that I will ask in specific thread for you or via PM. I hope you don't mind. :smile_NF:

Last edited:

sujoyp

Grand Master
actually I dont do much of a long exposure...I used tripod as a stand for drop or smoke shots

rule of shutter speed is simple...you just need focal length on crop sensor to get sharp pics :D I go as low as 1/20 on 17-50 or 1/30 on 35mm prime..not lower then that

CRACING

Journeyman
actually I dont do much of a long exposure...I used tripod as a stand for drop or smoke shots

rule of shutter speed is simple...you just need focal length on crop sensor to get sharp pics :D I go as low as 1/20 on 17-50 or 1/30 on 35mm prime..not lower then that

Ok. I too follow that rule to get sharp photos but sometimes due to insufficient light I had to slow down (i.e less then 1/100s at 200mm) but that cause shaky or blur photos. I'm not good in keeping the camera stable either. Thanks to VR feature otherwise results would be worst for me.

Last question. Your photos in Flickr look sharp and vibrant in color. Are they really actual photos or did you make them better in post processing? if so, which are those settings?

I take raw photos, develop/edit in zoner photo studio (Make changes to exposure, contrast, sharpness, noise reduction, crop & etc) and export as jpg. Still no match to your photos.

I think its because you shot in good lighting and lenses you use have high quality elements.

p.s Those macro shots and flower shots are heartbreaking ones.

sujoyp

Grand Master
thanks for appriciating my pics... in DSLR world stright out of camera images are never soo good...I find my D7000 to produce cold images. Editing is really important .
I use lightroom and picasa for light editing and photoshop for specific editing

you can also try photofxlab ...its quit cool and lot of options

Top Bottom