Rockbox on Apple iPod 5g (Video)

Status
Not open for further replies.
After hanging around the Rockbox forums for a while I decided to take the ultimate step and install it on my 30Gb model. I'm impressed. Rockbox adds a lot to the iPod in terms of functionality. I'm not going to fill this thread with my rantings. Whatever I need to say has already been written, just click on the links below and browse through the Rockbox forum.

I'll be glad to answer any specific queries regarding Rockbox and the iPod 5g. Stay tuned to this thread as I'll be uploading few pics soon.

What's Rockbox -

*en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rockbox

Originally created for use with the Archos Jukebox, it has been recently ported to support iPod (Video, Nano, Photo and 4g) with the help of iPodLinux foundation.

Why I'm impressed -

Filestree based browsing. Not database driven approach like iTunes. Just copy music to folders on the iPod, like you would to any USB external hard disk. Sorry RIAA.

Crossfading between tracks - fully configurable in/out duration and delay, mix and continous playback.

Excellent 4 band Graphic Equalizer, + host of features for audiophiles.

Supports OGG audio and FLAC too.

Excellent Themes support. My iPod now looks like the Creative Zen Vision.

More games, plugins.

How to install -

*www.rockbox.org/twiki/bin/view/Main/IpodInstallation

Multi-OS -

Possible to reboot using original Apple iPod firmware. Rockbox does not support video playback yet. So you will need the original firmware for video.

Stay tuned for my "Rockbox on iPod Video" pics.

Cheers,
Keith

kato

Karthiksn
Yeah Kieth really waiting for the pics and rather than a review to me its totaly a new information. Thanks for the knowledge i guess it is very useful for ipod owners

OP
K

Keith Sebastian

Padawan
*i38.photobucket.com/albums/e116/kmspublik/iPod%20Rockbox/th_01.jpg
*i38.photobucket.com/albums/e116/kmspublik/iPod%20Rockbox/th_02.jpg
*i38.photobucket.com/albums/e116/kmspublik/iPod%20Rockbox/th_03.jpg
*i38.photobucket.com/albums/e116/kmspublik/iPod%20Rockbox/th_04.jpg
*i38.photobucket.com/albums/e116/kmspublik/iPod%20Rockbox/th_05.jpg
*i38.photobucket.com/albums/e116/kmspublik/iPod%20Rockbox/th_06.jpg
*i38.photobucket.com/albums/e116/kmspublik/iPod%20Rockbox/th_07.jpg
*i38.photobucket.com/albums/e116/kmspublik/iPod%20Rockbox/th_08.jpg
*i38.photobucket.com/albums/e116/kmspublik/iPod%20Rockbox/th_09.jpg
*i38.photobucket.com/albums/e116/kmspublik/iPod%20Rockbox/th_10.jpg
*i38.photobucket.com/albums/e116/kmspublik/iPod%20Rockbox/th_11.jpg
*i38.photobucket.com/albums/e116/kmspublik/iPod%20Rockbox/th_12.jpg
*i38.photobucket.com/albums/e116/kmspublik/iPod%20Rockbox/th_13.jpg
*i38.photobucket.com/albums/e116/kmspublik/iPod%20Rockbox/th_14.jpg
*i38.photobucket.com/albums/e116/kmspublik/iPod%20Rockbox/th_15.jpg
*i38.photobucket.com/albums/e116/kmspublik/iPod%20Rockbox/th_16.jpg
*i38.photobucket.com/albums/e116/kmspublik/iPod%20Rockbox/th_17.jpg
*i38.photobucket.com/albums/e116/kmspublik/iPod%20Rockbox/th_18.jpg
*i38.photobucket.com/albums/e116/kmspublik/iPod%20Rockbox/th_19.jpg

kato

Karthiksn
So what does this exactly do does this change the ipod software completely or replaces it or just adds as some program. And is that a visualization that looks kool

OP
K

Keith Sebastian

Padawan
kato said:
So what does this exactly do does this change the ipod software completely or replaces it or just adds as some program. And is that a visualization that looks kool

The initial installation consists of extracting the image from the boot partition of the iPod, modifying/patching it and putting it back again so it loads Rockbox firmware instead of default.

Rockbox software resides on the root drive of the iPod in a folder ".rockbox". Updating is simply a matter of copying/overwriting with the newr version. (nightly builds are released as Rockbox is being developed heavily)

The original firmware is not erased. Restart the iPod by pressing Menu+Select keys for 4 seconds, and keep Menu key pressed to access the original Apple firmware. It's like having 2 OS's on a PC.

Yes, the visualizations look great. Newer visualizations and games can be added as and when they're released.

-Keith

vmp_vivek

In the zone
Looks stunning, will definitley install it. 8) :D

(By the way, I have scored a century! This is my 100th post! :p :D )

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom