Review: MSI Wind U100

Status
Not open for further replies.

amitava82

MMO Addict
*nov15.imgshare.us/P28.jpg

Finally I received my white U100 6 cell MSI Wind. I wanted to have a office computer which is small, light and has long battery life. My G50V is too big and heavy to carry around. So, I ordered a Wind hoping that it would be perfect for my office work since I don’t need powerful system.

So, I opened the box and when I saw this baby, I was like WTF? This thing is freaking small! I never thought 10 inch would be THIS small. Now I wonder how small 7 inch eeepc would be. I doubt I can work on this small screen for 10 hours everyday. Screen is ridiculously small. I wish it had end-to-end 1280*800 screen.

Config is pretty standard like other Atom based netbooks: 10 inch ( WSVGA LED), 1GB RAM, 160GB HDD, Card reader, 1.6GHz atom, bgn wireless, bluetooth, 3 USB, VGA, 1.3 MP webcam, XP Home.

So, here are my impressions:

1. Screen: Now as gorgeous as my G50. Not even close. Again, I’ve not seen other netbooks; so I’ll assume netbook screens are like this due to small size.

2. Speed: OK for normal work such as word processing, browsing etc. Processor can be overclocked 8%-24% dynamically without going to BIOS. Even at 8% 720p video runs choppy (about 20fps) but at 15% it runs smooth.

3. Keyboard & touchpad: OK, my biggest complain is Fn key placement. Both my HP and ASUS has Ctrl key at the left most corner but this one has Fn key (like Dell, Lenovo). So, I always press Fn key when I want to press Ctrl key. Pretty frustrating. Also, touchpad is very small and there is just one button for left and right click and its very narrow. Since I use bluetooth mouse that’s not a big issue. Keyboard is good. But I’m making a lot of typo. Arrow keys and “,./” (3keys) are narrow compared to other keys. I need some time to get used to.. lol

4. I tried to upgrade RAM with a 2GB RAM but it won’t recognize 2GB stick. It has onboard soldered 1GB RAM. So, you can add one more 1GB RAM. Built in speakers are crap but sufficient. I pluggd a pair of PX-100 and it sound nice. Webcam is OK for video chat.

5. Other thoughts: One nice thing I noticed is that unlike other laptops, MSI has made two partitions: 40GB OS partition and about 110GB another partition. Saved my time from resizing OS partition. Wind comes without any crapware preinstalled like ASUS. There was a folder with some software such as Norton and Powerdvd but I deleted it. I’ve not run a battery test but I’m hoping it should be 5+ hours with a 6cell battery.

Overall, it’s an excellent netbook. If you plan to buy an affordable 6cell netbook then look no further. You can turn it into a "MacBook Wind" if you want to :D I liked the new HP netbook but 3 cell is deal breaker for me.

More Pictures and Size comparison

I didn't tell because it won't matter for most of you.. lol
Hey, can't curiousity be satisfied ? :D

PS: Just so that you may know, my first computer was an old TwinHead i486 laptop made in 1991 (or 1992) and it had a tiny 10" screen on which I used to play Doom, my favourite game.

vish786

"The Gentleman"
was waiting for the review. thanks.

from pic white k/b looks weird.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom