Restoring to Windows 7 from Windows 8 using windows.old folder

tripleclutch

Broken In
Well, I saw an article at Microsoft Support which says that it is possible to restore to a previous version of windows from a new version using the windows.old folder.
The question I have is that will it retain the files, applications and settings?
I had upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 8 using a friend's Windows 8 iso, just to try how it feels like, Then I used the KMS activator to temporarily activate it, and added the free Media Centre upgrade. Now it doesnt even activate on using the KMS, and even after I purchased a legitimate key to activate Win 8, i cant activate it. Every time I click the "Activate Windows" button, it says "Windows cannot be activated right now, please try later". :-(
Help will be appreciated.

freshseasons

King of my own Castle
The thread title suggests you wish to uninstall windows 8 and revert back to windows 7, which should be pretty easy and straight forward.
However the body makes one feel you want to keep windows 8 but are not able to activate it.

If you are keeping windows 8 try any of these:-
1) Run a system file checker with Administrative rights vis command prompt.
2)Restore PC to previous state before you applied PIRATED KMS Activator.
3) Reset widows 8. (This is a new feature with windows 8 that takes back your system to a new state)

OP
T

tripleclutch

Broken In
The thread title suggests you wish to uninstall windows 8 and revert back to windows 7, which should be pretty easy and straight forward.
However the body makes one feel you want to keep windows 8 but are not able to activate it.
Well actually, I described the cause for my want to revert back to windows 7 from windows 8 in that second paragraph. But if anyone can provide a solution for that cause, it would be twice as great.
This questions seems to still go unnoticed- "will it retain the files, applications and settings?"

freshseasons

King of my own Castle
Well actually, I described the cause for my want to revert back to windows 7 from windows 8 in that second paragraph. But if anyone can provide a solution for that cause, it would be twice as great.
This questions seems to still go unnoticed- "will it retain the files, applications and settings?"

YES ! If you do a clean uninstall of windows 8.

OP
T

tripleclutch

Broken In
Ok, I clean installed, and activated with the legit product key. It got activated safely. Now another problem, a small one. I installed the Synaptics driver for the touchpad, and after the restart following installation, the led now lights up when the trackpad is activated, and turns off when trackpad is deactivated, thus exact opposite of what it should be doing. Any idea how to solve this?

Top Bottom