Current Config:
  • Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo E7300 @2.66 GHz
  • Heat Sink: Cooler Master Silence
  • Mother Board: P5QL Pro
  • Graphics Card: XFX GeForce 9 Series GF9500 GT 550M 512 MB DDR2
  • RAM: 2 x Transcend 2G DDR2 800
  • WiFi Card: Asus PCE-N13 300Mbps PCI-E
  • Cabinet: Mercury ATX 500W
  • Storage: 120 GB Samsung SSD + 1.0 TB WD Blue HDD + 500 GB Seagate Barracuda HDD
  • Monitor: Samsung 19" 1990x400
  • Optical Drive: LG DVD R/W
  • Input Devices: Logitech Wireless KB and Mouse

Upgrade Preferences:
  • Retain whatever possible
  • Improve performance for moderate photography editing
  • HDMI connectivity
  • Looking to turn a 24" Toshiba TV into monitor later; so monitor upgrade not required ATM
  • Change cabinet for better cooling and increased space??
  • Might play a game or 2 in future (FarCry)
  • Medium-level multi-tasking

OP
J

johnybravojr

Broken In
*www.digit.in/forum/pc-components-c...new-pc-help-answer-these-questions-first.html

Thanks for replying! I felt that my needs were slightly different than what the template would address. That's why I skipped it. I just want to upgrade my old system and keep it future-ready for the next 5-6 years. I hope I've clearly indicated what I want in the "Upgrade Preferences" part. Thanks!

bssunilreddy

Chosen of the Omnissiah
Budget - 37.8k (Modified)

ProcessorIntel Core i5 446013,000
MotherboardGigabyte GA-B85M-D3H5,500
MemoryKingston HyperX Fury 8GB 1600MHz3,000
Graphics CardZotac GTX750Ti 2GB9,500
Power SupplyAntec VP500PC3,300
CabinetCorsair SPEC-013,500
Total37,800

Go to Richie Street, Chennai and ask for Quotations from various shops and get the 1 who gives you best rates.OK.
Don't buy from Online as they all are always overpriced compared to local street prices.

Last edited:
Thanks for replying! I felt that my needs were slightly different than what the template would address. That's why I skipped it. I just want to upgrade my old system and keep it future-ready for the next 5-6 years. I hope I've clearly indicated what I want in the "Upgrade Preferences" part. Thanks!

It might seem unnecessary to you but trust me, any sensible suggestion cannot be made with the details the questionnaire involves. Kindly fill it so members can help you.

- - - Updated - - -

Total37,800

Do you know what OP's budget is? Kindly restrain from posting without having all required details available. Dont post for sake of posting. Reported.

OP
J

johnybravojr

Broken In
Was there a need to report? Let's keep things cool around here. He was only trying to help me. In fact, he was the one who suggested me to use the template first.

By the way, I didn't feel that the Template was "unnecessary". I just felt that it was too much of information for my requirements. I ain't building a new PC. I just want to do an upgrade retaining compatible components. That's all.

- - - Updated - - -

1. What is the purpose of the computer? What all applications and games are you going to run?

Ans: Moderate photography editing; multitasking; heavy internet surfing; frequent Powerpoint creation; occasional HD movies. Games, a couple of times a year perhaps-like FarCry.

2. What is your overall budget? If you can extend a bit for a more balanced configuration, then mention this too.

Ans: I really have no idea. Current config is working fine, but the usage is expected to increase in a couple of months. I just want to retain any component that is compatible and meets my performance requirements. Low to mid-range budget is fine. Not going to spend a fortune on it. I can't come to a number because I don't know what components I am going to retain at this point.

3. Planning to overclock?

Ans: No.

4. Which Operating System are you planning to use?

Ans: Using Windows 10 Pro; will continue the same.

5. How much hard drive space is needed?

Ans: I already have enough space (120 GB + 500 GB + 1 TB) :) :cool:

6. Do you want to buy a monitor? If yes, please mention which screen size and resolution do you want. If you already have a monitor and want to reuse it, again mention the size and resolution of monitor you have.

Ans: No, Iam not planning to buy one. I'll use a 24" Toshiba LED TV as monitor; don't know the resolution though.

7. Which components you DON'T want to buy or which components you already have and plan on reusing?

Ans: Will use the Storage components; prefer to use the wifi card, optical drive, input devices and GFX if they'd be compatible with the new configuration.

8. When are you planning to buy the system components?

Ans: Within the next couple of months.

9. Have you ever built a desktop before or will this be done by an assembler?

Ans: Yes, the current system was built by myself. Expertise level: Beginner.

10. Where do you live? Are you buying locally? Are you open to buying stuff from online shops if you don't get locally?

Ans: South Tamil Nadu; prefer online purchase.

11. Anything else which you would like to say?

Ans: HDMI connectivity required. Will consider upgrading any component if suggested for best performance and future-proofing. Will probably be able to tell the budget after I get a reasonable understanding about the components that can/cannot be retained.

masterkd

Padawan
It is not possible to suggest a build without a budget. Also it seems you are not sure whether you want to upgrade or not. If your current system is working fine for you then why plan to change. When it does not suit your needs plan to change only then. Also say you will be buying a new system after two months when your usage is increased, prices might be very different then from current one especially with the volatile market now-a-days.

OP
J

johnybravojr

Broken In
It is not possible to suggest a build without a budget. Also it seems you are not sure whether you want to upgrade or not. If your current system is working fine for you then why plan to change. When it does not suit your needs plan to change only then. Also say you will be buying a new system after two months when your usage is increased, prices might be very different then from current one especially with the volatile market now-a-days.

Thanks, and I agree with your suggestion to wait for 2 more months. But I never said I'm not sure of whether I want to upgrade or not. I wasn't sure what can be retained. If someone could give me several options based on my intended purpose and connectivity requirements, I would be able to decide on the budget. I am not really looking for a budget table with prices at this point of time. I hope I have clarified myself now.

masterkd

Padawan
Items that can be retained
  • Wifi card
  • HDDs and SSDs
  • Monitor (Not required as you will be using the TV. However my personal opinion would be not to use it especially if it is not FHD)
  • Optical Drive
  • Keyboard & Mouse
  • OS
  • Not sure about the cooler. Please provide the specific model.

Other than these everything else required to be purchased.

bssunilreddy

Chosen of the Omnissiah
  • Wifi card
  • HDDs and SSDs
  • Monitor (Not required as you will be using the TV. However my personal opinion would be not to use it especially if it is not FHD)
  • Optical Drive
  • Keyboard & Mouse
  • OS

Total37,800

Go to Richie Street, Chennai and ask for Quotations from various shops and get the 1 who gives you best rates.OK.
Don't buy from Online as they all are always overpriced compared to local street prices.

OP
J

johnybravojr

Broken In
  • Wifi card
  • HDDs and SSDs
  • Optical Drive
  • Keyboard & Mouse
  • OS

Thanks for the reply! Is Graphics Card not compatible?

masterkd

Padawan
Zen is not near, it will be launching in Q4.
Also Pascal is scheduled to be released in the second half of 2016.

Top Bottom