Request for build suggestions - Gaming/Home Streaming/Browsing

StillWaters

Right off the assembly line
Hi Guys,

My current PC, which was 6 years old has kind of kicked the bucket. So I have decided to build a new one now. My now defunct PC has the following config:
CPU: AMD Phenom X3 8450
MoBo: GA-MA78GM-S2H
RAM: Patriot DDR2 800 2GBx2
PSU: Cooler Master Extreme Power 460W
Case: Cooler Master Elite 332/333
HDD: 1x 500GB 7200rpm Seagate and 1x 500GB Green WD
Monitor: TFT 22" Viewsonic VA2226W

I intend to reuse the HDDs (Have original Win 7 Pro, which I would like to move to new build). May also reuse the LCD depending on new build cost.

Below is the answers to build questions:

1. What is the purpose of the computer?
Ans: 80% of the time the PC will be used to play games like WoW, LoL, Diablo 3, Starcraft 2, Heroes of the Storm. The PC will also be used to run media streaming apps like Serviio/Plex to transcode and play movies on my network connected TV. When not playing games, the PC will be used for heavy web browsing (100+ tabs on Firefox/Chrome) and at nights for torrent downloads.

2. What is your overall budget? If you can extend a bit for a more balanced configuration, then mention this too.
Ans: Haven't fixed a tight budget, but would prefer it be under 60-70K

3. Planning to overclock?
Ans: No definitive plans, I have never OCed before. Prefer stock settings. Might think of overclocking when the system starts showing signs of aging down the years.

4. Which Operating System are you planning to use?
Ans: I have original Win7 Pro. Will prefer to reuse that.

5. How much hard drive space is needed?
Ans: Will reuse HDDs from existing PC, but want to add SDD 240/256GB for OS + Games

6. Do you want to buy a monitor? If yes, please mention which screen size and resolution do you want. If you already have a monitor and want to reuse it, again mention the size and resolution of monitor you have.
Ans: WOuld prefer new 24-25" monitor with full HD capability, but can hold off that as the current LCD is in usable state. Current monitor is 22" with resolution of 1680x780 I think.

7. Which components you DON'T want to buy or which components you already have and plan on reusing?
Ans: Will reuse HDD. Open to reusing LCD.

8. When are you planning to buy the system?
Ans: Now. Or can wait for new Intel CPUs if expected in next month or so.

9. Have you ever built a desktop before or will this be done by an assembler?
Ans: Previous one was done by assembler. Can build myself, but not an expert with Thermal paste kinda stuff.

10. Where do you live? Are you buying locally? Are you open to buying stuff from online shops if you don't get locally?
Ans: I'm in Noida. Looking for best prices and open to online shopping.

11. Anything else which you would like to say?
Ans: I want a decent case which prevents as much dust as possible from going in. Also it should have good cable management space and easy access for future modifications. I would also like a decent cooler, as we know summers in India can be brutal. My previous PC used to run at 60 C+ at low settings and I think that's really hot for a CPU.

Thanks in advance for your time and expertise. Already appreciate your help by being in this forum :)

Cheers,
StillWaters

bssunilreddy

Chosen of the Omnissiah
Budget - 65k

ProcessorIntel Core i5 444012,500
CPU CoolerCooler Master Hyper TX3 EVO1,700
MotherboardGigabyte B85M-D3H5,500
MemoryKingston HyperX Fury 8GB 1600Mhz3,800
Graphics CardZotac GTX 970 4GB DDR526,000
Power SupplySeasonic S12II 520w4,800
CabinetCorsair SPEC-013,700
SSDSamsung 850 EVO 250GB8,000
KeyboardLogitech MK200 Keyboard & Mouse Combo800
MouseIncluded in combo0
Total66,800

Last edited:
OP
S

StillWaters

Thanks [MENTION=105611]bssunil[/MENTION]. Appreciate your response.

You have suggested i5 4440, which I understand is a 4th gen i5. How does it compare to 5th gen i5? Is there significant price difference?

Also, given my budget, would it make sense to wait for 6th gen skylake cpus to be launched in Aug/Sep?

The suggested Case looks nice, how effective are the dust filters for it? And what kind of maintenance is needed to keep it dust free?

Does this combo have Firewire port as well? If not is there a way to connect an old IEEE1394 firewire based device to the PC?

Thanks,
StillWaters

OP
S

StillWaters

Hey [MENTION=105611]bssunil[/MENTION], I was just researching your suggestions and noticed that the suggested MoBo Gigabyte B85M-D3H is AM3+ socket type. I thought that is for AMD CPUs. Am I mistaken or do we need a LGA1155 type MoBo?

Thanks,
StillWaters

Top Bottom