Replacing old CRT Tv

Prajyot

Journeyman
Currently using 12 years old LG 32inch CRT tv. Not a single problem till date but now planning to upgrade.
Reason: Electricity consumption, Unable to play youtube videos.
I am totally un-aware of current TV technologies so not sure which one to buy.

1. Budget?
Upto 50K (10+/-)

2. Display type and size?
No sure. un-aware of current TV technologies. Room size is 12x16

3. What will the TV/monitor be used for primarily?
Mainly DTH, Some time kids videos on Youtube, Amazon Prime (Uses 2-5hr daily max)

4. Types and number of ports required?
Not sure. I have old phlips 5.1 speaker with old RCA types pin. May be i can use it with new TV?

5. Preferred choice of brand?
Not sure, I have checked there is no service center of Vu or Hi in my city.

6. Any TV/monitor in consideration?
-

7. Any other info that you want to share.
1. Room size is 12x16 so please suggest size according to it.
2. Primary use is DTH, Youtube videos, Daily 2-5hr max, so which to technologies to choose.
3. Looking for solid tv which last at least 4-5 years. I am not sure if it possible with current technologies. My current LG CRT is still solid, but i feel it uses high electricity.
4. Any way to use my current 5.1 speakers, it have RCA type of socket.

I am unware of current tv technologies, don't know difference between led, QLED, IPS or any other. Please suggest something which have current trend features.

Samsung or LG 55" 4K TV should suffice, starts around 45k. For most people, IPS is my recommendation. VA has a better contrast ratio but poor viewing angles from sides.

amazon.in/LG-inches-Ultra-55UQ7500PSF-Ceramic/dp/B0B3XXSB1K
LG TVs are generally IPS, Samsung is generally VA. This is a nice deal at 43k.

amazon.in/AmazonBasics-3-5mm-2-Male-Adapter-cable/dp/B01D5H8JW0
This converter should help connecting your old speakers to new TV. TV specs doesn't mention aux, but most TVs have it IMO. So get the TV, check for aux/3.5mm jack, then buy the converter.

OP
P

Prajyot

Journeyman
Samsung or LG 55" 4K TV should suffice, starts around 45k. For most people, IPS is my recommendation. VA has a better contrast ratio but poor viewing angles from sides.

amazon.in/LG-inches-Ultra-55UQ7500PSF-Ceramic/dp/B0B3XXSB1K
LG TVs are generally IPS, Samsung is generally VA. This is a nice deal at 43k.

amazon.in/AmazonBasics-3-5mm-2-Male-Adapter-cable/dp/B01D5H8JW0
This converter should help connecting your old speakers to new TV. TV specs doesn't mention aux, but most TVs have it IMO. So get the TV, check for aux/3.5mm jack, then buy the converter.

Thank you.

What about durability of TV. Samsung or LG offers extended warranty? Do i really need stabilizer to protect tv?

Thank you.

What about durability of TV. Samsung or LG offers extended warranty? Do i really need stabilizer to protect tv?
Manufacturers say stabiliser isn't required, but better get it IMO as Indian electricity supply still falls short, esp in non-Tier 1 cities. V guard is a good brand. Or you can get a UPS (assuming there's no inverter), those have some voltage surge protection, like APC BX600.

Not sure of extended warranty costs. These TVs should be available locally as well.

TheSloth

The Slowest One
VA panels have better black production than IPS but are also glossy. If you do not have too much light coming from other angles, say window opposite to TV or tubelight which will directly reflect on TV, then go for VA panel.

Another reason to get VA would be if you watch lot of content in dark room, the blacks are really good satisfactory. IPS's black will look grey in dark room and you also might face backlight bleeding or IPS glow. I have IPS panel from LG and since I watch lot of content in dark room, the backlight bleed is distracting and sometimes annoying.
And Omega already mentioned about the viewing angles, if people will sit from wide angle to TV then go with IPS, if people will sit only in front or at the same level as TV then VA is good.

You really have to compromise on somthing at this budget, no way around it. I had same budget and went with IPS panel from LG since I did not want to see reflections and will use with wide angles. But after getting the backlight bleed(appeared after RMA), I was thinking may be I could have saved more money and go with Samsung VA panel(priced above 65K) which has some kind of coating on it to reduce the reflections. You have to see all this personally at showroom to decide anything. Don't order online without getting a proper demo on the TV.

sumit05

In the zone
*www.flipkart.com/lg-uq7500-139-cm-...22lr5c0000001687451815605&qH=335a64cdf84eb8a2

*www.flipkart.com/samsung-crystal-4...1wk5tc0000001687451825530&qH=f32b7c3ccb2503a1

Cyberghost

Federal Agent Area 51
Staff member
Samsung q60c qled 50 inch (2023 model) will be better
samsung.com/in/tvs/qled-tv/q60c-50-inch-qled-4k-smart-tv-qa50q60caklxl/

quicky008

Technomancer
Its better to get extended warranty with the new TV as they normally feature just 1 year warranty and sometimes components can go bad just after the warranty expires thereby requiring the owner to pay for the repairs out of his own pocket-this recently happened to someone i know whose 1 year old LG tv's panel went bad shortly after the warranty had expired,and the service center guys demanded almost 8-9k for panel replacement even though the TV was still quite new and shouldn't have malfunctioned so soon in the first place.

In the end he went for a new tv altogether by paying a little extra as he felt it wasn't worthwhile repairing the LG TV for 9k,as a new TV could be had for just 12-13k.

OP
P

Prajyot

Journeyman
So no matter which brand I choose or expensive I buy it have same life? 1-3 year?

So what's your opinion about low brands like OnePlus, MI etc.

Which OS is better so I don't need to worry long terms

It's really worth to spend 55k+ if it may fail in 1-3 years?

OS, you can change it later with a TV stick, like Fire Stick or Chromecast 4K. For me, android TV is the best OS because of customisations possible. For normal people, LG & Samsung OSes are good enough because you get the most popular apps but its faster to boot compared to android.

Oneplus, blindly ignore. Its a small company, trying to masquerade as a relatively big one. Other than Samsung, LG & Sony, among small companies my recommendation is to stick to Vu, Hisense or Xiaomi based on offers. Buy these TVs if you live in a tier 1 city or a city which has their service centre at least.

As mentioned, try to get extended warranty, if its reasonably priced. TVs from smaller brands generally have lower lifespan, but no one knows how many years your TV might last. IMO stick to LG or Samsung 55" for 45k. If you want to save money, Vu 55" was 33k.
www.amazon.in/inches-Premium-Ultra-Google-TV/dp/B0BZW9YHYD

TheSloth

The Slowest One
I got 3 years warranty on LG TV and extended it for 2 more years for ₹8K I guess, so total 5 years. Not exactly sure about price of extended warranty. But you get 3 years standard warranty for TVs above 50" I think. Do not buy TV worth 50K with 1 year warranty.

Just a headsup, if you get dead pixel on arrival, demand replacement. If you are buying offline, let them know in advance that you will not accept dead pixels on arrival. Generally, these offline store folks will try to push the work to service center guys for dead pixels but service center will refuse to help if the dead pixel count is less than 15(varies across brands).

Android is best, but only if it comes in adapter like Firestick or Chromecast. Android TV are good for first few years and then the lag starts just like android phones.
Samsung's Tizen is decent. LG's WebOS is also good but also have better (TV)remote control. Don't decide based on OS. I will just reiterate Omega's advice, find TV with best hardware specs and then get a android stick if you dont feel satisfied with default user experience.

quicky008

Technomancer
dont buy an expensive tv if you are concerned about durability.These new led/lcd tvs aren't quite as reliable or robust as your old crt and may fail unpredictably at any time.

better get something within 20-25k with extended warranty and stick with it for as long as possible.

also use a ups/voltage stabilizer with the new tv as these led tvs are quite sensitive to voltage fluctuations.

bubusam13

Human
WOW. I am looking for a working CRT TV in my living room for a vintage decor. LG and Sony picture quality is best. You can easily tell in a side by side comparison. But don't take showroom displays as a comparison. They mostly plays enhances 4K videos in all TVs, so all look the same.

I believe you will be opting for an IPS display. No matter what brand you get,
1. check that there is no backlit bleeding. Even big brand TVs suffer from this.
2. Check the picture quality. Many cheap brands have unaccurate oversatuarated colours. One good way is cast a mobile photo to TV and check how accurate the picture is compared to your phone and in real life.
3. Check the sound. play dialogues, music with bass, music with treble. A TV wont give the sound quality of a soundbar, but a decent enough sound from TV can avoid spending those extra bucks on a sound bar. Also check how loud the TV goes.
4. If it's an android TV then look for higher specs and playstore. You can ignore specs for Tizen or WebOS TVs.

A side note, it's better if the TV have 3.5 headphone out. Optical out and bluetooth audio from TV have some noticable delay.

Last edited:
OP
P

Prajyot

Journeyman
I got 3 years warranty on LG TV and extended it for 2 more years for ₹8K I guess, so total 5 years. Not exactly sure about price of extended warranty. But you get 3 years standard warranty for TVs above 50" I think. Do not buy TV worth 50K with 1 year warranty.

Just a headsup, if you get dead pixel on arrival, demand replacement. If you are buying offline, let them know in advance that you will not accept dead pixels on arrival. Generally, these offline store folks will try to push the work to service center guys for dead pixels but service center will refuse to help if the dead pixel count is less than 15(varies across brands).

Android is best, but only if it comes in adapter like Firestick or Chromecast. Android TV are good for first few years and then the lag starts just like android phones.
Samsung's Tizen is decent. LG's WebOS is also good but also have better (TV)remote control. Don't decide based on OS. I will just reiterate Omega's advice, find TV with best hardware specs and then get a android stick if you dont feel satisfied with default user experience.
I am not sure if LG offer 3 years warranty as standard. When you buy tv? So I can look for same option for extended warranty

OP
P

Prajyot

Journeyman
dont buy an expensive tv if you are concerned about durability.These new led/lcd tvs aren't quite as reliable or robust as your old crt and may fail unpredictably at any time.

better get something within 20-25k with extended warranty and stick with it for as long as possible.

also use a ups/voltage stabilizer with the new tv as these led tvs are quite sensitive to voltage fluctuations.
Which brand you suggest in this case.

quicky008

Technomancer
for tv: samsung,lg,sony

stabilizer: get this:
*apc.estorewale.com/product/apc-line-r-lsw-series-automatic-voltage-stabilizer-lsw800-in/

I am not sure if LG offer 3 years warranty as standard. When you buy tv? So I can look for same option for extended warranty
I have seen it during Diwali sales, but generally that's 2 year comprehensive + 3 year panel warranty (normal is 1 year comprehensive + 2 year panel).

invisiblebond

Journeyman
If you wait until Diwali, there will be a good discount coming soon.

Will India include OLED TVs above 50K?

Samsung Display brings forward the end of its LCD production
*www.whathifi.com/news/samsung-display-brings-forward-the-end-of-lcd-production

LG Display to end LCD TV panel production as early as year-end
*www.theweekendleader.com/Headlines...lcd-tv-panel-production-as-early-yearend.html

Samsung admits defeat and reportedly inks deal for LG’s OLED TV panels
*www.theverge.com/2023/5/16/23725160/samsung-lg-oled-tv-panels-deal-supply-report

OP
P

Prajyot

Journeyman
WOW. I am looking for a working CRT TV in my living room for a vintage decor. LG and Sony picture quality is best. You can easily tell in a side by side comparison. But don't take showroom displays as a comparison. They mostly plays enhances 4K videos in all TVs, so all look the same.

I believe you will be opting for an IPS display. No matter what brand you get,
1. check that there is no backlit bleeding. Even big brand TVs suffer from this.
2. Check the picture quality. Many cheap brands have unaccurate oversatuarated colours. One good way is cast a mobile photo to TV and check how accurate the picture is compared to your phone and in real life.
3. Check the sound. play dialogues, music with bass, music with treble. A TV wont give the sound quality of a soundbar, but a decent enough sound from TV can avoid spending those extra bucks on a sound bar. Also check how loud the TV goes.
4. If it's an android TV then look for higher specs and playstore. You can ignore specs for Tizen or WebOS TVs.

A side note, it's better if the TV have 3.5 headphone out. Optical out and bluetooth audio from TV have some noticable delay.
I will keep above points in mind. Thank you for it.

How to test back light bleeding , dead pixel in showroom

Top Bottom