remove GRUB, and boot direct to windows 7 Help ?????

Skyh3ck

Cyborg Agent
hi guys

i have dual windows 7 and linux mint 17

i thought that switching to linux would be great, but everyday there was some kind of problem with linux, wifi, wine, update and so on, i tried it patiently to get used to it, but most of the time i was actually fixing things on linux instead really working on it,

most of the time i was searching and finding way to make the linux work perfectly, and lost valuable productive time,

i am very sad, but linux is not a complete os, its just keeps changin everyday and there is always some kind of problem with it,

anyway, currently there is grub installed, which lets me select the os i want to boot from,

can you please tell me how can i remove grub boot loader and boot directly to windows, and remove all linux distros from my computer

i dont have dvd or bootable windows 7 disk, however i am able to log in windows 7, please suggest some command i can use from cmd application

thanks in advance

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
First of all, your claim about "Linux changes everyday" is darn true. But it is actually a plus instead of Windows where any bug takes ages to fix. And usually you don't have to bother about it, since auto updates keeps it updated automatically. Usually debian based linux like Mint and Ubuntu is best for those who are new to Linux. So it makes me wonder why you are facing a problem in using Mint.

You have multiple options now:

1. Remove the Damn Linux!
If you really want to remove linux, just install EasyBCD and remove the linux entries and set Windows as default. Test by restarting if GRUB boot menu appears or windows bootloader. Then when you are able to boot windows from windows bootloader, format the linux drive from within windows. Simples.
You can get Easy BCD from here (*neosmart.net/EasyBCD, get a Non Commercial license for free).

2. Replace Mint with Ubuntu:
Get yourself Ubuntu 14.04 (LTS version) which should be way better in terms of maintainability. And since it is also a Debian distro, you will be familiar with it.

3. Enroll yourself in Linux 101:
On August 1, a free but comprehensive course have started by edX. (EdX is based in Cambridge, Massachusetts and is governed by MIT and Harvard.) Its a self paced Linux course which teaches about Linux practically and from the very basics. I recommend you to enroll in it even if you think you have knowledge of Linux. You can practice Linux commands on Virtual machine of your windows. Although a dedicated Linux like Ubuntu would have been terrific. What's more awesome is that you would get a certificate after the completion of the course. The course: *www.edx.org/course/linuxfoundationx/linuxfoundationx-lfs101x-introduction-1621

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Windows 7 would have 'fixboot' and 'fixmbr' commands to restore full Windows boot record.

But that needs OP to have a Windows disk and goto Recovery console after booting from the disk. Which the OP don't have. So he can't use the commands.

OP
Skyh3ck

Skyh3ck

Cyborg Agent
1) i dont have the disk of windows 7, but i am able to login in windows 7 with grub boot loader, i want to know how can i restore from windows 7

2) i have ubuntu 14.04 and 14.04.1 iso images, i love ubuntu and mint, they work fine except wifi, when i updated the 14.04 to latest update, wifi stoped working after restart, then i installed a fresh copy of 14.04.1 again wifi did not worked, it just keeps connecting to the wifi without success , and some tiime it connects without any incoming internet connection. all i wanted is to work on it and dont waste my time fixing things, ( i still like linux, but cant spend time on making it work)

3) i have enrolled that course and finished first chapter, looking forwatd to finish the course and get a certificate

ankush28

Bazinga
Do this!
1. Go to disk management>delete linux partitions EASY!
2. Increase volume of your windows disk.
3. create windows recovery disk from os itself! (google! I cant show screenshot as I dont have windows on my pc :p )
4. boot from it, "repair my computer" >troubleshoot > cmd prompt

type
Code:
bootrec.exe /fixmbr

done reboot.

- - - Updated - - -

First of all, your claim about "Linux changes everyday" is darn true. But it is actually a plus instead of Windows where any bug takes ages to fix. And usually you don't have to bother about it, since auto updates keeps it updated automatically. Usually debian based linux like Mint and Ubuntu is best for those who are new to Linux. So it makes me wonder why you are facing a problem in using Mint.

You have multiple options now:

1. Remove the Damn Linux!
If you really want to remove linux, just install EasyBCD and remove the linux entries and set Windows as default. Test by restarting if GRUB boot menu appears or windows bootloader. Then when you are able to boot windows from windows bootloader, format the linux drive from within windows. Simples.
You can get Easy BCD from here (*neosmart.net/EasyBCD, get a Non Commercial license for free).

2. Replace Mint with Ubuntu:
Get yourself Ubuntu 14.04 (LTS version) which should be way better in terms of maintainability. And since it is also a Debian distro, you will be familiar with it.

3. Enroll yourself in Linux 101:
On August 1, a free but comprehensive course have started by edX. (EdX is based in Cambridge, Massachusetts and is governed by MIT and Harvard.) Its a self paced Linux course which teaches about Linux practically and from the very basics. I recommend you to enroll in it even if you think you have knowledge of Linux. You can practice Linux commands on Virtual machine of your windows. Although a dedicated Linux like Ubuntu would have been terrific. What's more awesome is that you would get a certificate after the completion of the course. The course: *www.edx.org/course/linuxfoundationx/linuxfoundationx-lfs101x-introduction-1621

I agree with this! Today I made Ubuntu my primary OS (Only OS :p) after the overheating issue got fixed. If you are irritated from costant updates just set it NEVER check for updates.
*i.imgur.com/wGb86Y2.png

Top Bottom