Reliance bags marketing & distribution deal for Apple

Status
Not open for further replies.

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
Reliance bags marketing & distribution deal for Apple
9 Oct, 2007, 0135 hrs IST,Deepshikha Monga & Chaitali Chakravarty, TNN

NEW DELHI: Reliance Retail has clinched an exclusive marketing and distribution deal with the $19.3-billion iconic maker of iPods and Mac computers, Apple, for standalone iStores. This is Reliance Retail’s first exclusive alliance with an international brand. The partnership was sealed on Monday. The first store, to be called iStore by Reliance Digital, will come up by October-end in Bangalore.

This is the first time Apple is tying up with a big corporate house for distribution anywhere in the world. The iStores would be standalone stores selling Apple products ranging from Macintosh computers to iPods and later, once it’s launched in India, the latest cult offering from Apple, the iPhone. Read more...

[Via The Economic Times]

God, no! :(

I hope they don't end up making Reliance the exclusive carrier for the iPhone. That would be a tragedy. Please, Apple - please don't kill the iPhone's Indian launch by making it a Reliance exclusive. Please! For your own sake.

narangz

Web developer
aryayush said:
God, no! :(

I hope they don't end up making Reliance the exclusive carrier for the iPhone. That would be a tragedy. Please, Apple - please don't kill the iPhone's Indian launch by making it a Reliance exclusive. Please! For your own sake.

Reliance is a CDMA operator except a few(?) regions where Reliance GSM is present. iPhone is based on GSM technology.

~Lil JinX~

*Basket Case*
EDIT: ^^ oh -_-

Thats...a sad state of things. I don't think they'll make it exclusively Reliance though, they've got better marketing strategies than that. Ok...well, not really. Good thing I'm not going in for an i-phone. :p

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
narangz said:
Reliance is a CDMA operator except a few(?) regions where Reliance GSM is present. iPhone is based on GSM technology.
Umm... WOW! Thanks for letting me know! I don't know what I would have done with that piece of crucial information. :p

I know, man. I know. But I live in West Bengal, which is one of the few states Reliance GSM has a very strong presence in. And so, I live in fear. :D

narangz

Web developer
^^By mentioning that I meant that Apple can't just tie up with a single player which has a little presence. Trying to be sarcastic? eh?

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
ok now this is really weird ... bada ambani gets apple stores and chota ambani gets iphone .... theres certainly something missing :?

hailgautam

Youngling
narangz said:

But under the new Unified Universal License or something should Relance want to start GSM it can.. that is why it had aggressively bid for Hutch sometime back.

But here we are talking about 2 different Reliance. Reliance Retail that bag the Apple deal belongs to Mukesh Ambani, while the Reliance Communication is in Anil Dhirubhai Ambani Group Co.

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
^^ remember arya .. I had posted about seeing this in MG Road bangalore in that Apple thread :D .. I had checked it again last week but still it was "Opening Soon" :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom